R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   teacher needed to teach novice of nitros (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/501876-teacher-needed-teach-novice-nitros.html)

stanman 04-10-2011 12:45 PM

teacher needed to teach novice of nitros

I need to figure out what are good deals and what arent. Im an rc collector of vintage electric rc's and know nothing of the nitros.
recently i have been looking to buy 3 nitros used but it confuses me lol

I have seen a 4month old stampede barely used for ssale at $120
I seen a 1 year old tmaxx for 115
then i seen a stampede for 225 and a tmaxx for 175-225
and then theres mini's and such.
What am i looking for when buying one?
I want to get a Revo and i have seen them from 175-350
and the condition on all these where RTR
I know they get more spendy the more you upgrade but what would be a good price for a standard non upgraded revo 3.3 and tmax 3.3?

Also im looking for speeds of 60+

Can you give me some pointers?

Jaz240 04-10-2011 01:10 PM

None of the cars on you list will hit 60+ MPH. The only 2 Nitro vehicles you can get from Traxxas to Hit 60 MPH are the 4 tec on road car and the Jato.
IMO you are much better off finding a good deal on a traxxas that already has all the hop up parts on it. I speak from expierience when I tell you that stock Traxxas stuff is sub-par to say the least. You want as much stuff from RPM, INTEGY and Proline as possible. My T maxx had over $3000 invested into it and when I sold it I got $500 for it. Thats the kind of deal you want. You can buy a stock one for $150-$200 but if you dont put a ton of upgrades on it it will be broken after 10 minutes of running. I would also advise you that if you are a serious collector and looking for vintage stuff, or things that will retain value and be fun to play with for many years you may want to shift your search away from Traxxas. Go for one of the more serious RC companies Like Losi, Kyosho, Associated, Mugen, etc. Much better quality vehicles that are made for the rigors of racing and will hold up much better over the years

stanman 04-10-2011 01:24 PM

I dont really want anything for racing. more of an offroad stunt vehicle. what types of losi offroaders are out there?

Jaz240 04-10-2011 01:42 PM

If you are going to use it for stunts is all the more reason you should steer away from Traxxas.

Losi Monster truck: LST
Losi Truggy ( best vehicle for durability and stunts ) 8eight T 2.0

Unsober1 04-10-2011 03:12 PM

A nitro engine is a touchy thing. If you dont have previous experinece, I highly reccommend that you buy new. That way you dont have to figure out other demons.

Think of it this way. A nitro motor is generally a high out put racing engine. Have you ever worked on full scale motors. Racing take alot of life out of the engine. And if pushed to far or not taken care of properly, its toast.

I have seen many people buy a new nitro vehicle on Friday, and before the weekend was over, if was only good for a paper weight by Sunday