R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   MBX6 clutchbell and fuel tank (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/499952-mbx6-clutchbell-fuel-tank.html)

Resqnu 04-04-2011 06:30 PM

MBX6 clutchbell and fuel tank

I have a Mugen MBX6 with a Nova .21 BF mounted on an extreme racing quick change motor mount, a mugen clutch bell and VP pro clutch shoes. I'm not sure what brand my flywheel is because I purchased the buggy used. My issue is the screw that holds the clutch bell on is VERY close to the fuel tank (almost touching). The gears on the clutch are a little forward. My friend is experienced in nitro and helped shim the clutch bell. Is it normal? Thanks

jmaxey51 04-04-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Resqnu (Post 8914648)
I have a Mugen MBX6 with a Nova .21 BF mounted on an extreme racing quick change motor mount, a mugen clutch bell and VP pro clutch shoes. I'm not sure what brand my flywheel is because I purchased the buggy used. My issue is the screw that holds the clutch bell on is VERY close to the fuel tank (almost touching). The gears on the clutch are a little forward. My friend is experienced in nitro and helped shim the clutch bell. Is it normal? Thanks

yes it is

Resqnu 04-04-2011 06:35 PM

Wow. Should I plan on purchasing an extra fuel tank? My current one has a rub spot on it now from the clutch bell screw.

jmaxey51 04-04-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Resqnu (Post 8914691)
Wow. Should I plan on purchasing an extra fuel tank? My current one has a rub spot on it now from the clutch bell screw.

well it shouldnt be touching... should be close but not touching... maybe you have to big of a screw

Resqnu 04-04-2011 06:40 PM

Well it is not actually touching while sitting still. But I guess the rub mark on the tank is from some jumping. You can just tell the socket head screw has touched the tank a few times. I didn't know if a different flywheel or other part would move it back slightly.

jmaxey51 04-04-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Resqnu (Post 8914724)
Well it is not actually touching while sitting still. But I guess the rub mark on the tank is from some jumping. You can just tell the socket head screw has touched the tank a few times. I didn't know if a different flywheel or other part would move it back slightly.

flywheel will have nothing to do with it because the screw only can go in as far as the crank will allow it to, so even if you take everything off the engine it will still be that close... ill look at my buggy tank tomorrow and see if mine taps the tank any under flex.

Resqnu 04-04-2011 06:47 PM

Many thanks for you help.

Brandon Black 04-04-2011 06:52 PM

could be the type of flywheel,motor mount, clutch bell ect. with after market parts some do not fit well. Also with nova/rb motors they will move slightly forward

Resqnu 04-04-2011 06:55 PM

Clutch bell is Mugen, Not sure about flywheel, but same color as mugen. Engine mount stated above.

Resqnu 04-04-2011 06:58 PM

correction, my flywheel is black/dark gray.

jmaxey51 04-04-2011 07:03 PM

it will NOT be the flywheel or clutch or CB because the screw buts up to the crank, nothing to do with any of that stuff. it may have to big of a head on the screw... ill look to see if mine hit the tank, but i dont think it does because that could cause a fire (one of my friends had that problem :lol: )

Brandon Black 04-04-2011 07:05 PM

i would suspect the mount may be causing it to be to close, good indicator is how the clutch bell is shimmed on the crank, if the crank is sticking past the front bearing a good ways the the motor is moved forward slightly and the bell was shimmed back to line up with the spur gear. If the clutch bell gears are forward on the spur gears may need a smaller collet to move it back some.

Resqnu 04-04-2011 07:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos of what I have.

Brandon Black 04-04-2011 07:32 PM

no thats not correct way to shim your clutch bell sorry!

Resqnu 04-04-2011 07:35 PM

Any recommendations?