Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Tires, the most important thing in racing... >

Tires, the most important thing in racing...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires, the most important thing in racing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Tires, the most important thing in racing...

Iv been struggling huge with my selection in tires, when I get to a track and look at what we got that will suit that particular track I seem to always pick the wrong tire, give it u may think I don't have a good selection I actually have a good range, aka and Losi are the only 2 brands I use, So I started talking to a driver about it n he asked me a question I didn't see coming, he says to me, do u leave your tires out where air can hit them, n I'm like my entire box of tires is exposed to air, so I give him a new set of soft tires and he says 'the air it's gotten to them' n he pulls out a set of the same tire in a bag, I feel one back to back n I couldn't believe the difference, so then he goes into what I took in as someone who's lost there mind in rc, he sprays simple green on my tire and massages it like it's his naked wife for 3-4 minutes just getting down rubbing my 1 tire, gives it back to me with another air exposed tire n all of a sudden were back in business, I think a big thing has been my tires hardening up due to weeks of air exposing, so I'm starting to seal my tires up in bags, I was told drake will never let a tires- after a practice night- sit exposed to air, I now learned my lessOn that this is a big part of tire care, u can't let tires b exposed. Period. So now when all this rain is done Im exited to try my new tires out that arnt dry n dusty but rather softer due to simple green, it's nuts what he said about simple green getting into the rubber n softening it. Cool. I just felt like sharing this with my fellow rc-ers so they to can have that little advantage.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Nice one!

We dont have simple green here...is there something else I could use? maybe clean the tires with soap and water dry them up and spray WD40? just a thought
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaap
Nice one!

We dont have simple green here...is there something else I could use? maybe clean the tires with soap and water dry them up and spray WD40? just a thought
dawn disk soap works good to
Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by porkchop
dawn disk soap works good to

is that a ormal dish soap?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tires are $75 bucks a set! Unless your name is Tebo or Drake

I would take care of them just like you would with most everything else!

I myself have recently been using Simple Green on my 1/10 scale indoor. And I love it but consider this. 5 min long main compaired to a 20-40 min A main Nitro race. And im not saying dont use it. Just food for thought!

This advice to me givin by Jerod Tebo.

The biggest issue is when you use simple green or any tire compound it seems to wear off after 7 min into a race. Slowly you start to lose the added traction. JT said he would rather have consistancy when racing for 20 min or more at a time. I watch him work/clearn his car/tires after each race. He simply just washes them with a brush and dries them off with a towel in prep for the next heat. And if you watch JT race he's not BLAZZING FAST he is consistant every lap hits every mark. In short he's just smmmoooooth
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dunno. Basically all simple green does is soften the outer layer of the rubber. Once this wears off, your tires will feel different during a race. If tires being exposed to air is bad, why aren't tires shipped in vacuum sealed bags? Sure, the bags are sealed, but there's air in there. Also, why are there no vacuum sealed tire storage solutions?

I think it would take an awfully long time for air to have any serious detrimental effect on tire rubber (years). I think it's more of a heat issue, like you don't want the rubber to get hot/cold/hot/cold repeatedly. But if you like the simple green method and it makes you faster, by all means have at it. I just don't think tire rubber changes durometer very quickly. Might have to run a test sometime...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Kalguard electric motor cleaner works well too as a tire sauce. The 1/10 guys have been using it for awhile.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
I dunno. Basically all simple green does is soften the outer layer of the rubber. Once this wears off, your tires will feel different during a race. If tires being exposed to air is bad, why aren't tires shipped in vacuum sealed bags? Sure, the bags are sealed, but there's air in there. Also, why are there no vacuum sealed tire storage solutions?

I think it would take an awfully long time for air to have any serious detrimental effect on tire rubber (years). I think it's more of a heat issue, like you don't want the rubber to get hot/cold/hot/cold repeatedly. But if you like the simple green method and it makes you faster, by all means have at it. I just don't think tire rubber changes durometer very quickly. Might have to run a test sometime...
+1

Tires are not shipped vacuum sealed so air exposure is apparent from the time they are pulled form the mould
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

I would have never thought that air would affect tires...But does make sense...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My 2 cents

I like to wash them in the sink with dishsoap and a toothbrush... rinse, dry, and back in the tire box....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Air oxidizes the rubber compound on tires, I would put them in air tight Glad freezer bags for storage.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I also use the aka or proline bags with the ziploc or if they are JC or something that didn't have a ziploc pkg I use a ziploc that fits 4 buggy tires perfectly. I wash them asap after a race and definetley before they sit in the garage dirty for a week. Call it OCD! I'm a firm believer that the tire 'dries' out when it's left out in the air, you can feel the difference for whatever reason. Maybe it's a humidity deal? I'm also pretty careful about how they sit in the box I carry them in. I try to avoid flatspots from being packed too tightly.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ganymede
Air oxidizes the rubber compound on tires, I would put them in air tight Glad freezer bags for storage.
You do realize that unless you use a vacuum pump like a food saver for instance, an air-tight freezer bag simply keeps air out but does nothing to remove the air from the inside of the bag which the tires are exposed to. Dialed Inc tire bags are the same, not one product exists that truely removes air from tire storage, unless you want to vacuum seal them. And manufacturers don't even go that far.

Now I do think rubber can go bad, but I have sets of tires I've had for a few months and they're the same durometer as brand new rubber. I think sun (UV rays) is more an enemy to tire rubber than air. Store them some place dark and out of direct sunlight. Just my $.02.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
You do realize that unless you use a vacuum pump like a food saver for instance, an air-tight freezer bag simply keeps air out but does nothing to remove the air from the inside of the bag which the tires are exposed to. Dialed Inc tire bags are the same, not one product exists that truely removes air from tire storage, unless you want to vacuum seal them. And manufacturers don't even go that far.

Now I do think rubber can go bad, but I have sets of tires I've had for a few months and they're the same durometer as brand new rubber. I think sun (UV rays) is more an enemy to tire rubber than air. Store them some place dark and out of direct sunlight. Just my $.02.
Yes, I do realize that. If one want to be anal about tire storage, one can always store it on the dark side of the planet in space. No air, no sun and no moisture...
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the smell you get from new tires is the process of off-gassing. It's the chemicals in the rubber evaporating, as this happens the rubber becomes more and more dry.

I think the best preservative is to put them in bags after washing with mild soap. I guess I'm not sold on "moisturizing" tires.

using armor all (moisturizer) on your car tires results in a worse condition that if you simply wash them in regards to dryness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.