is there any track regulation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is there any track regulation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? is there any track regulation?

i'm wondering if theres any international reglamentation for offroad tracks, 'cause in mexico i've seen many diferrences between them, in jump high, jum lenght, receivers, distante between jumps. the only rule i know besides the one for the soil is the 4m lane.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mc_chofo
i'm wondering if theres any international reglamentation for offroad tracks, 'cause in mexico i've seen many diferrences between them, in jump high, jum lenght, receivers, distante between jumps. the only rule i know besides the one for the soil is the 4m lane.
I had not heard of a specification for soil, but the ROAR guideline is 12 ft. minimum lane width, which is approximately the same as the 4m spec you stated.

Distance between jumps, size, complexity, etc...is up to the track designer, and is what makes each track unique. I would personally hate it if guidelines were mandated that determined how the track was to be built. It would make for boring racing...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is an extract of the IFMAR rules for a Worlds Event. The Full detailed rules can be found here...http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/rules/ifmar...froad_2010.pdf

Originally Posted by IFMAR OFF-ROAD RULES

SECTION FOUR – TRACK REQUIREMENTS

4. TRACK
Minimum width: Four (4) meters.
Minimum length: Three hundred (300) meters.

4.1 SURFACE
Artificial surfaces must be of the same type used for road construction. They must not be potentially dangerous or pollutant. Within the total length of the track fifty per cent (50%) minimum must be from natural soil.

Any straight longer than ten (10) meters must be from natural soil.

Any section made from artificial surface must not be longer than ten (10) meters.

A natural soil section of a minimum of five (5) meters must always separate two (2) artificial surface sections.

At location of the lap counting antenna, there must not be any metallic structure.

Deterioration of the natural soil area must not uncover obstacles in the transit area between natural soil and artificial surface (overlapping slope must be smooth and of sufficient length).

The track must be suitably drained.

4.2 JUMPS AND OBSTACLES
When constructing jumps, the safety of the public and marshals must be the main priority.

Any combination of multiple jumps will be considered as a one-jump section and each track will have a minimum of four (4) jump sections

4.3 SAFETY
Safety for everybody must be the most important aspect when designing the track.

4.4 MAINTENANCE
The track surface may only be repaired at the end of qualifying.
Repairs or improvements may be made, at any time, with the concurrence of the
Race Director and the Referees.

4.5 OTHER TRACK SPECIFICATIONS

4.5.1 A pit lane must be provided that has a convenient and safe entrance and exit to and from the racing surface. It must be separated from the racing surface by a secure barrier of the same specifications as the inner barriers for the class of cars being raced.

There must be a second barrier of at least the same specifications of the outer barrier between the pit lane and the working pit areas. The design of the pit lane entrance and exit must be done to prevent high speed racing in the pit-lane.

4.5.2 All refuelling, repairing, or servicing of cars must be done with the vehicle fully behind the barrier between the pit lane and the working pit area, and not in or over the pit lane. Cars may be placed on top of the exterior pit walls for servicing provided the wall has been designed so that the car is secure and stable.

4.5.3 An engine testing/tuning area will be provided at a reasonable distance , away from the pit tables.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmm with Pataya having diesel poured on the ground, wouldn't that make it no-compliant with IFMAR rules?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neobart
Hmmm with Pataya having diesel poured on the ground, wouldn't that make it no-compliant with IFMAR rules?
Depends on how you look at the rule as soil with diesel in it is considered impacted which is not hazardous maybe the fumes would be hazardous. (California anyway)

Also the rule does not stipulate as to what is considered to be a pollutant, or which rules to follow. (Local, or otherwise)
Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

what i ment was if for example a double should have any high or distance between them? or the designer is the one that have to decide that?

for example in on road for 1/8 scale i was told that you should have in total like 100m straight, 50m of sweepers. so thats why i tought is there was any other regulation for offroad tracks besides the ones written on ifmar rules.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

It just have to be dirt. Some tracks use fabric on certain parts they just limit how much you can use on a straight.

I thought IFMAR uses the current rules of the governing body in which the race is taking place?

If you want track regualtions, follow ROAR rules.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

what i ment was if for example a double should have any high or distance between them? or the designer is the one that have to decide that?

for example in on road for 1/8 scale i was told that you should have in total like 100m straight, 50m of sweepers. so thats why i tought is there was any other regulation for offroad tracks besides the ones written on ifmar rules.
Its up to the designer as long as the marshals are kept in mind, for hazardous reasons. - like a car hitting them in the head, and access to cars.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Just make the jumps right. They are not as easy as they look. Make sure the landings are at a good angle to the jump. And make sure you design the track and jumps for 8th scale. Dont build a 90 ft jump with a 10 foot run way.