O'Donnell website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Donnell website

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Tech Rookie

since 3 month no official statment from OD.
only teamdrivers saying everything will be great
and telling the customers to wait. Wait for what?

Nobody believes in this anymore.

There are some heavy problems not only little things to clear with Hobbico.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Time has a way of healing all wounds.
Steve has a good hand on the pulse of this hobby and I'm sure he wants to get everything under good control and be selling by the time outdoor racing season takes off. However, when you're dealing with other people and companies for product, material and production, somethings are completely out of his control. It some aspects, it's hurry up and wait for Steve as well.
When the new products hit the shelves, I will be pulling out my wallet once again.
Considering the current outlook and economic issues confronting not only this county but others as well, Steve has really taken a leap of faith.
Just consider that if Steve would have started on his own around the time he joined Hobbico, where would he be today? In my mind, Steve would have built something better as it would have been more hands on and personal with consumers.
I think the relationship with Hobbico was probably one step forward and two back.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfreak1969

See, this is exactly the kind of speculation and negativity that needs to be avoided. There is no "doom and gloom". Put simply, there are activities going on behind the scenes that just cannot be discussed with the general public, much less on an open forum such as this.

The only "official statement" that needs to be made is that the O'Donnell product line will not be going away. It is, quite the opposite in fact, being expanded. No one can give an exact date on when everything will be concluded with Hobbico because we simply do not know. Steve himself did not expect it to be taking as long as it has, but that is the unfortunate truth to this whole situation.

As far as continuing to wait, as I have stated rather plainly in the other OD threads, the customers must do what is best for them. If that means that moving away from the O'Donnell brand then that is what you have to do, regardless of how regrettable it is. In the long run, the customers that may be lost now will be regained down the road.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greg B
Time has a way of healing all wounds.
Steve has a good hand on the pulse of this hobby and I'm sure he wants to get everything under good control and be selling by the time outdoor racing season takes off. However, when you're dealing with other people and companies for product, material and production, somethings are completely out of his control. It some aspects, it's hurry up and wait for Steve as well.
When the new products hit the shelves, I will be pulling out my wallet once again.
Considering the current outlook and economic issues confronting not only this county but others as well, Steve has really taken a leap of faith.
Just consider that if Steve would have started on his own around the time he joined Hobbico, where would he be today? In my mind, Steve would have built something better as it would have been more hands on and personal with consumers.
I think the relationship with Hobbico was probably one step forward and two back.
Very well put....Steve has indeed invested a great deal of himself in all of this, and will continue to do so.

You're right about the relationship with Hobbico. While there were some good aspects, after the 5 year partnership, Steve is basically having to virtually start from scratch again. I can't speculate on how things might have been, but I absoutely believe that they will be much better once all of this is in the rearview mirror, and Steve is in complete control.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcfreak1969

I have an idea, If you don't believe anymore go get yourself a differnt car...
I won't miss you
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

if only rcfreak will buy anther car no problem..... but all the other customers....

the masses buy different brand cars and engines.... that´s the real problem
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

^^Exactly, the longer it takes for a statement to be made by Steve, the more drivers move to other brands.
The season is starting. Drivers want reassurance MORE than Team Drivers telling them "all is well", and if "you dont like it get another brand".
I would like to see O'Donnell succeed, but by not saying anything official, the silence is deafening.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
See, this is exactly the kind of speculation and negativity that needs to be avoided. There is no "doom and gloom". Put simply, there are activities going on behind the scenes that just cannot be discussed with the general public, much less on an open forum such as this.

The only "official statement" that needs to be made is that the O'Donnell product line will not be going away. It is, quite the opposite in fact, being expanded. No one can give an exact date on when everything will be concluded with Hobbico because we simply do not know. Steve himself did not expect it to be taking as long as it has, but that is the unfortunate truth to this whole situation.

As far as continuing to wait, as I have stated rather plainly in the other OD threads, the customers must do what is best for them. If that means that moving away from the O'Donnell brand then that is what you have to do, regardless of how regrettable it is. In the long run, the customers that may be lost now will be regained down the road.
Stubbs,

this is all good and well. However, under a simple business perspective, the way O'Donnell & Hobbico handled the separation if anything tells a lot by itself; leaving customers without products to buy, without replenishing stock, without even any shred of official news and/or position and update on what is going on besides (too) general reassurances like the one you just provided, is IMHO very - no, VERY bad business practice.

I for one just decided to sell my brand new SG, race roller which I built but never raced and with quite a lot of option/spare parts. PM if interested.

It has been a long time since I got a Durango, which I also built but still never raced (waiting for the weather to turn), and I had been on the verge of making this decision for a long time. Spring is coming though, and no O'Donnell news - no product to buy, no nothing. It's bye bye for me, I wish Steve all the best and I hope my SG will find a loving home might well be a great car, I am sorry that circumstances will not make it possible for me to ever know it, but I live out of the US - which makes it difficult enough to get parts for a car not distributed here - and cannot afford the uncertainty in starting a season with a car with this kind of non-existent (for the moment, at least) support.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

There is an actual statement that was made by Hobbico and Steve may have been involved with it as well, I don't know. It's listed on our Great Planes account.
I had thought about doing a little of copy and paste but it's not really my business and when Steve want's it released, he will do so.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the customers that may be lost now will be regained down the road.
Business model for the ages.........
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Guys I'm a team driver for Steve and am in no way a spokesman for them I am only telling you whats going on because I believe in Steve and O'Donnell . Steve is a top notch guy he always does his best to make sure that his drivers and customers alike get taken care of. The O'Donnell Hobbico split was a sudden thing and the people involved were not able to set things up ahead of time. At this time there are some hiccups in the transition but Steve is working very hard and very long hours to try and get this all done. There are a lot of new things that will take place when this is all switched over and done. The people who wait it out I think will be very happy with the changes that are coming. I completely understand that people may be upset that there has been no official statements made but as previously stated what will happen is a bunch of bashing. Steve will make a statement when everything is final and ready to go. I understand that people may feel like they were abandoned and left with unanswered questions. I cant say I dont blame people for moving on but I personally think that the wait will be worth it.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I seriously think that folks don't see that maybe the reasoning behind no formal announcement from OD(Steve's Camp) is possibly because issues aren't yet finalized. Stand back and think about it, the notification was made sometime in January, and were now it mid-March and nothing formal has been put together, but rather here-say that there are good things to come the near future, ie big plans, etc.

Furthermore, I see no point in the finger pointing towards Hobbico in the matter. They are in business to make money, and provide a ton of good things to the entire hobby industry. Historically, the past delays with the Gen1 buggy, Gen1 Truggy, SG buggy , motors, pipes, etc., are not so much at the fault of Hobbico, in my opinion. Was it logistics, numerous last minute design changes, etc., I guess we'll never know. All we know is that history proceeds itself.

The above scenarios are unique compared to the rest of industry, as company's usually rush to get the product to market and into the hands of customers, then perform fixes by way of updated parts, tweaks, etc. This is not a bash towards Steve, as we all know that he is very innovative, but rather a clearing of Hobbico's name from being viewed as the bad guy.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by golferdude1971
I seriously think that folks don't see that maybe the reasoning behind no formal announcement from OD(Steve's Camp) is possibly because issues aren't yet finalized. Stand back and think about it, the notification was made sometime in January, and were now it mid-March and nothing formal has been put together, but rather here-say that there are good things to come the near future, ie big plans, etc.

Furthermore, I see no point in the finger pointing towards Hobbico in the matter. They are in business to make money, and provide a ton of good things to the entire hobby industry. Historically, the past delays with the Gen1 buggy, Gen1 Truggy, SG buggy , motors, pipes, etc., are not so much at the fault of Hobbico, in my opinion. Was it logistics, numerous last minute design changes, etc., I guess we'll never know. All we know is that history proceeds itself.

The above scenarios are unique compared to the rest of industry, as company's usually rush to get the product to market and into the hands of customers, then perform fixes by way of updated parts, tweaks, etc. This is not a bash towards Steve, as we all know that he is very innovative, but rather a clearing of Hobbico's name from being viewed as the bad guy.
To be completely clear, there is no "bad guy" in this whole matter. As has been said before, this was a business decision, and it is being handled in a professional manner on all sides.....
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Josh Pease
The O'Donnell Hobbico split was a sudden thing and the people involved were not able to set things up ahead of time
That`not true - the split was known since last summer
Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

When began O'Donnell making the new plugs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.