Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro vs. Electric >

Nitro vs. Electric

Nitro vs. Electric

Old 03-12-2011, 09:45 PM
  #1  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 26
Default Nitro vs. Electric

Yes, it's one of those topics. Which one is easier to maintain, handle, and drive hard with that will last long in the long run?
BAZINGA is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Midwest_Mudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kennard, NE
Posts: 438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Dude, not to sound horribly rude but the search function is your best friend. I think a thread like this comes up twice or more a week. There is no "best" car out there. Each has its pros and its cons, its your decision as to which is more benefitial in your eyes. I like nitro. Why? Because i hate waiting on the batteries to charge, only to have them die again and wait another 4 hours so i dont over heat the batteries. Like i said, there are trade offs for each type, you have to decide what will work for you.
Midwest_Mudder is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
  #3  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,999
Default

its, up to you really i dont care for waiting for lipos to charge up inbetween rounds so i like nitro better better for that reason and other things


well, yes electric is easier to maintain but with less trill if you ask me .
but hey electric is good for beginners as long as it gets people in the hobby racing/bashing thats what matters.
tc5 man is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM
  #4  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (206)
 
Trevor Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,369
Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)
Default

EP WILL make you a better gas driver......practice with a 1/10 2wd buggy......
Trevor Williams is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 PM
  #5  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,484
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Midwest_Mudder View Post
Dude, not to sound horribly rude but the search function is your best friend. I think a thread like this comes up twice or more a week. There is no "best" car out there. Each has its pros and its cons, its your decision as to which is more benefitial in your eyes. I like nitro. Why? Because i hate waiting on the batteries to charge, only to have them die again and wait another 4 hours so i dont over heat the batteries. Like i said, there are trade offs for each type, you have to decide what will work for you.
Really. Are you seriously trying to say you Cant Charge a pack back to back without fear of damage. You are sadly mistaken my friend.

IF your packs are getting Hot your Over geared, or are running an inadequate pack for the application.
Integra is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
Mr.juarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,280
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

both
Mr.juarez is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 158
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
both
I 2nd that!
Eagletal88 is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,067
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams View Post
EP WILL make you a better gas driver......practice with a 1/10 2wd buggy......
... with a modified motor! Driving stock buggy will forfit your driving skills.
Razathorn is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 PM
  #9  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
bboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
Yes, it's one of those topics. Which one is easier to maintain, handle, and drive hard with that will last long in the long run?
Electric is less maintenance, but depending on which chassis you are comparing Nitro is easier to maintain and clean. With longer mains a Nitro Buggy will have more track/race time. With powerband, clutch and in most cases less weight nitro IMO is a whole lot easier to drive and to drive fast. An electric will also be rougher on drive train parts because of the instant torque and direct drive.
bboard is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (27)
 
utah300rum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 487
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Years ago I ran all electric.....I traded them all for nitro and it ruined the hobby for me..... just took the fun out of it. I spend more time workin' than racin'..... I just didnt have the patience for it (too young)......I left the hobby until a couple years ago.

Now I run both but if anyone says nitro is easier I think they are smokin crack.

I enjoy my 3 nitro vehicles but they are more work than my electric.

If you are gonna race see what they are racing at your local track...if its all nitro Then I guess your running nitro.....If its all electric then its electric.

If they run both I would probably start off with electric and then move into nitro if you like it.

If you just wanna bash around I would still start off electric....my 2 cents..good luck
utah300rum is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
KWT-NITRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,616
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

i dont really care, if i have a Tx in my hand and a car is running infront of me, them am happy
KWT-NITRO is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 01:36 AM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Midwest_Mudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kennard, NE
Posts: 438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Really. Are you seriously trying to say you Cant Charge a pack back to back without fear of damage. You are sadly mistaken my friend.

IF your packs are getting Hot your Over geared, or are running an inadequate pack for the application.

i run a 3600 mah 6cell nimh in an older rc10t. i can run 4 packs through the truck back to back to back and the motor nor the esc gets hot. the battery doesnt get "HOT" from running, but fast charging the batteries puts them into the hot range. the truck has a 14t triple modified 550 sized motor with a traxxas xl-5 waterproof esc. its a basher for the most part. like i said, i prefer my nitros (even though i burn the hell outta my hands b/c i forget the little motors can build some heat). i like the fact that if it dies it takes my 40 seconds to have it ready to go for the same amount of time as what i just got done running it. i like the sound, the smell and the little blue trail that i can use to find the damn thing when i have a brain fart and forget im driving an rc car. i like my rc10t because its instant. i plug in the battery and it goes. simple as that. dont have to prime it, dont have to remember to grab the glow ignitor... like i said, there are pros and cons to each side, thats why both are still offered. if one was so much greater than the other im sure we would only see that one on the market. electrics are much simpler to maintain, there really isnt much you have to do post run. but with nitros you have to use after run oil, and make sure your air filter is oiled and... there is alot of maintenance involved with nitros. im not a fan of the arguement of "you have to tune them ALL THE TIME" we have this saying where im from, "if it aint broke, dont fix it". too many people have the idea of "fix it till its broke"...
Midwest_Mudder is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,825
Default

Lipo's mate!
They are charged within 30min and don't overheat if used correctly.

Nitro is more maintenance and more expensive. But the car drivers more natural, it's a bit lighter, you have the awesome sound, smell and smoke. Longer mains, have fun with your pitbuddies, etc.

Electric is charge and go.Of course you need to maintain your cars too, but there's less work on it. And once you have your equipment, there are no additional costs to the hobby, unless you break something. And oh yea, you have to change you bearing of a brushless motor once in 2-6months, they are really cheap.

I run brushless to train and when racing with my brushless friends. When I go to races with my nitro friends, I race nitro of course. I'm a student so always racing nitro would be too expensive for me. My parents don't give me any money for the hobby. I get 100bucks a month but just enough to go to the bar once a week with my friends.
morgoth is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:41 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
neobart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,413
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bboard View Post
Electric is less maintenance, but depending on which chassis you are comparing Nitro is easier to maintain and clean. With longer mains a Nitro Buggy will have more track/race time. With powerband, clutch and in most cases less weight nitro IMO is a whole lot easier to drive and to drive fast. An electric will also be rougher on drive train parts because of the instant torque and direct drive.
Wrong, I took two seconds of my laptimes by converting my 8ight to electric. It is much easier to drive an electric 1/8 buggy fast, even if it does weigh 400 grams more than my nitro did. I don't have enough time on mine to tell if drivetrain wear will be worse.

If the track you're at has a proper e-class, you will have more than plenty track time.
neobart is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 AM
  #15  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Midwest_Mudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kennard, NE
Posts: 438
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Lipo's mate!
They are charged within 30min and don't overheat if used correctly.

Nitro is more maintenance and more expensive. But the car drivers more natural, it's a bit lighter, you have the awesome sound, smell and smoke. Longer mains, have fun with your pitbuddies, etc.

Electric is charge and go.Of course you need to maintain your cars too, but there's less work on it. And once you have your equipment, there are no additional costs to the hobby, unless you break something. And oh yea, you have to change you bearing of a brushless motor once in 2-6months, they are really cheap.

I run brushless to train and when racing with my brushless friends. When I go to races with my nitro friends, I race nitro of course. I'm a student so always racing nitro would be too expensive for me. My parents don't give me any money for the hobby. I get 100bucks a month but just enough to go to the bar once a week with my friends.

see, i got all my batteries and such before lipo became "safe". i use quotes because its still just as "dangerous" just there is more done to make it more idiot proof. its not that i wouldnt like to change over to lipos, i just dont have the extra cash to spend on a new charger and all the batteries! maybe after college is over in may i will, but currently i spend my money keeping the cars goin, paying for nitro, and of course those evil BILLS lol...
Midwest_Mudder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.