Wiki Posts
Search

CLEANING YOUR 8TH SCALE BUGGY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
I have found the opposite using prep n shine. Dirt sticks more and the compressor can't get it off as easy at the track.
I haven't found anything to protect or shine that don't attract dust. I alternate between wd40 and maxima
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Using a hose,

You should use a wash like Super Bike Wash or Odonnel Speed Wash (wht ever its called)\

And be sure to blow off ALL the water with a compressor.

The first thing I do once cleaned is get all the bearings out and blow out and re grease.

No Rust.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Yepp. The air hose is real important. And my thing has always been that we go through our cord so much so often that I don't see a big deal with the water. Now if you a guy who wants to hose it off and set it in the corner till raceday. Then I think your cars going to go to $hit regardless
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
I haven't found anything to protect or shine that don't attract dust. I alternate between wd40 and maxima
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Break the car completly down, remove anything that can be damaged by water. i.e. bearings, driveshafts, engine and electronics and spray it down with simple green and throw it in the dishwasher. Run a cycle pull it out dry off with compressed air and mist with wd40 after assembly. It will look brand new with not a spec of dust on it.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by calif_bouncer
THIS WEEKEND AT OUR LOCAL OUTDOOR TRACK I SAW A COUPLE OF GUYS JUST HOSING IT OF WITH THE HOSE AND I THOUGH hmmmm WTF??? NOW IVE BEEN RACING RC FOR 30 PLUS YEARS AND NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT!
HAHAHA... well one of those guys was me normally I would never do that, but seeing how wet and muddy it already was I went ahead and just hosed it down... Only parts that got wet were the supspension parts though, and I near immediately soaked the whole thing in WD40 when I got home. As I was planning on replacing the bearings anyways, and 90% of my screws are Ti, I'm not to worried about it.

And now after a complete tear down... she's sparkly again
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with porkchop Hot water is the key. My faucet is set at 130. When I'm done I flip the car on its shock towers let it run off about 5 minutes then air compressor. No rust just NICE.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

I strip mine of radio tray and engine then hit it with a water blaster, not a commercial grade just your standard small home use water blaster, I then blow it down with an air compressor till its dry and then blast it with WD40 or Inox (which I really like, nice smell and you can see it displacing any water still around), I then just hang it from a hook under my porch and let it dry, all in all it takes 15-30min and shes like new, I have used this method for 6 months now with no issues at all.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I throw my vehicles in the wash, gentle spin cycle, extra rinse using Purex(Id use Tide if I could afford it).
Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

I too stay away from the water on my vehicles. I guess in extreme muddy conditions you dont have much choice. For most conditions I will use a toothbrush and compressed air to remove the dirt. Next I will spray most of the car with Maxima SC1 silicone spray. Next I use a towel and wipe down all the parts removing the excess spray. Car looks like new!

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Accessorie...duct_info.html
Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm trying out something else this time besides WD40 and that's ( Selleys RP7 - Multi Purpose Lubricant )
# Stops Annoying Squeaks
# Loosens Rust & Stick Parts
# Protects Against Rust
# Cleans Off Grime
# Starts Wet Motors
# Removes Moisture
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run my car for three outings with light cleaning in between here and there(Maybe shocks) and extremeties. Take it mostly apart,replace diff oils,shock oils and check everything out for wear or damage,clean it with WD and I lube my bearings with Tri-Flow Seems to work out pretty well for me