Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels >

Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels

Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels

Old 03-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels

I have a Kyosho Inferno DX. Put it away for 12 years but this year I got back into the hobby and fixed it up. I've run it on at least 20 occasions since. 45mins into my practice at a local track yesterday, I observed that it slowed down tremendously, and even on high-revving, I could only hear high-pitched noises. I thought I stripped my spur or clutch bell. However, both are in tact. With the engine on, the front wheels spun, but the rear was dead.

With the engine off, as I push the car forward, the rear drive shaft does not turn. Instead, it rattles in place. It also rattles in place when I manually try to turn both rear wheels forward.

Your help is much appreciated. If anyone's wondering why I'm still keeping this car and not upgrading, well, the short story is that I'm gearing up for a grudge match with the local Kyosho distributor's team and I'd be quite upset it this is irreparable.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is a transmission problem, and how I can troubleshoot this?
Attached Thumbnails Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels-inferno_dx.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCCarsAsia
I have a Kyosho Inferno DX. Put it away for 12 years but this year I got back into the hobby and fixed it up. I've run it on at least 20 occasions since. 45mins into my practice at a local track yesterday, I observed that it slowed down tremendously, and even on high-revving, I could only hear high-pitched noises. I thought I stripped my spur or clutch bell. However, both are in tact. With the engine on, the front wheels spun, but the rear was dead.

With the engine off, as I push the car forward, the rear drive shaft does not turn. Instead, it rattles in place. It also rattles in place when I manually try to turn both rear wheels forward.

Your help is much appreciated. If anyone's wondering why I'm still keeping this car and not upgrading, well, the short story is that I'm gearing up for a grudge match with the local Kyosho distributor's team and I'd be quite upset it this is irreparable.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is a transmission problem, and how I can troubleshoot this?
Try removing your center diff and filling it with oil..or greese...sounds dry. The little gears inside could be worn also, open it up to see if its dry first.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tips. Will take apart the diff later today when I have the time. Btw, if it's a case of worn out gears, would you know of some compatible part replacements? as my buggy and spare parts is out of production.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

I think you may have stripped your ring/gear, or the diffs inner gears, I dont remember which of them was fairly weak in the Kyoshos, a HD set was available at the time...

You may not have any problems getting those parts, many of the parts where compatible with all the newer mp series of Kyoshos. not mp9 though.

xe
Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Honestly, a Burns (at least IMHO) should be a shelf queen; it's a 22-23 year-old car and parts are both scarce and pricy. You'd be better off beating the snot out of a second-hand MP777 or MP9.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxflo777
I think you may have stripped your ring/gear, or the diffs inner gears, I dont remember which of them was fairly weak in the Kyoshos, a HD set was available at the time...

You may not have any problems getting those parts, many of the parts where compatible with all the newer mp series of Kyoshos. not mp9 though.

xe
That's re-assuring. Thanks for that. so all MPs before the mp9?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by captain america
Honestly, a Burns (at least IMHO) should be a shelf queen; it's a 22-23 year-old car and parts are both scarce and pricy. You'd be better off beating the snot out of a second-hand MP777 or MP9.
Hi! you might be thinking this is a Burns due to the knobby tires, but nah. it's an Inferno DX. get what you mean on the parts thing.. it's just this grudge match I wanna take up with the rogue Kyosho distributor in my country. They've been so rude and dishonest to me back then when I was starting out, and even before I got this one up and running again 3 months ago.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Updates to problem

Hi all, I’ve identified the problem that has stalled my Inferno DX. Previously, I was under the impression that the centre diff was at fault for not sending power to rear wheels. Then, after doing more checks on how the rear drive shaft moved depending on how I spun the rear wheels, comparing to the front, I realized that it could be a buggy rear differential issue.

After I took out the rear block... indeed... both spur and pinion were stripped.

Can someone suggest compatible parts for this repair? Would any of the other brands fit?

Are the pre-MP9 inferno parts indeed backward compatible?
Attached Thumbnails Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels-reardiff.jpg   Inferno DX Transmission Problem - No Power To Rear Wheels-rearblock.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

nope, not mp9, try the 5, 6 or 7 (7's ring has a little smaller diameter but I think it still fits) if i remember correctly those are all interchangeable.

there was a hardened set for those also, make sure you get those

xe
Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxflo777
nope, not mp9, try the 5, 6 or 7 (7's ring has a little smaller diameter but I think it still fits) if i remember correctly those are all interchangeable.

there was a hardened set for those also, make sure you get those

xe
Hey do you mean the Inferno 777? I might have some luck finding those as it's the most recent of the lot.

Also, a friend told me something about HSP Bazookas being copies of the Inferno, and that the gearing is similar. Can anyone confirm on this?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCCarsAsia
Hey do you mean the Inferno 777? I might have some luck finding those as it's the most recent of the lot.

Also, a friend told me something about HSP Bazookas being copies of the Inferno, and that the gearing is similar. Can anyone confirm on this?
take some pictures of the gears after you have them out...some measurments would help also.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

You would prolly have better luck with Inferno 7.5 parts than the 777.
Afaik the 777 does not share that many parts and is more alike Hong Nor X1-CR than the older kyoshos
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Huleboer
You would prolly have better luck with Inferno 7.5 parts than the 777.
Afaik the 777 does not share that many parts and is more alike Hong Nor X1-CR than the older kyoshos
+1.....they just RE-introduced the 7.5 so u should have no problem at all finding those parts