Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Business plan / proposal for establishing RC track >

Business plan / proposal for establishing RC track

Business plan / proposal for establishing RC track

Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Business plan / proposal for establishing RC track

Does anyone have a business plan or a proposal that was developed for establishing a RC off road track?

We have identified some land in our area that is suitable for establishing a off road and an on road track. While we have tentative approval for it we are requried to submit to the authroity controling the land a business plan for the club and how the track will be built / managed. Interested to see how other people have approached it.

If you could send me a PM it would be appreciated. Aiming to get this is in as soon as possible as we have the opportunity to obtain some grant funding.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My advice would be to form a 501c corporation instead of a business. That's a corporation operating not-for-profit. Invest all the monies back into the facility or give back to the racers. Also, apply for ROAR insurance, it's crazy cheap and covers the track for a million bucks. Got to IRS.gov (501c) and ROAR.com for more info, best of luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Starting the track as a nonprofit (501c3) would be very time consuming. I suggest you start it as a business and work from there. For a rc track, the cons outweigh the pros for going nonprofit.

If you get ROAR insurance, EVERY person who goes on the track Must be a ROAR member, which is $30 a year. That is fine for most people, but for the guys who just want to come once or try out the cars, it will shy them away. While it is a cheap way to get started, I think it is much better in the long run if you get 1 or 2 million dollar general liability. I have $2 million liability and its not anything like I thought it would cost.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Starting the track as a nonprofit (501c3) would be very time consuming. I suggest you start it as a business and work from there. For a rc track, the cons outweigh the pros for going nonprofit.

If you get ROAR insurance, EVERY person who goes on the track Must be a ROAR member, which is $30 a year. That is fine for most people, but for the guys who just want to come once or try out the cars, it will shy them away. While it is a cheap way to get started, I think it is much better in the long run if you get 1 or 2 million dollar general liability. I have $2 million liability and its not anything like I thought it would cost.

Good luck with your endeavor, you will need it.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

A lil off topic but..

any chance you're in or near San Jose, CA??? I think we're in need of more people here that is same minded as you really bad.

I mean.. there's like no RC track in here what so ever and the closest one is 45min away with no traffic
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sorry, should have stated where tha track would be - it is going to be in Lake Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia.

The intention is that it would be a not for profit incorporated club. Any funds / profits are put back into the club and the development of rc racing.

What would be good to get an idea on is how people sold the concept of the community benefit of rc racing, the social aspects of it, how it brings people together and another important point about how it can be a safe place for kids to take RC cars.

Not sure about the US but I think one of the things we are missing is how we can bring new people into the sport (I have a huge debate with my wife over calling it a sport!) but this is important. A lot of kids get RC cars as presents etc, having a facility provides a safe place where they can come learn about RC cars (both electric and nitro) and then develop their skills.

Just need to tie all this into a business plan!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Mate,

I beleive in NSW the Incorporated bodies act are coverd by the goverments own fair trading body. If you contact them they should be able to supply you with all the info that is needed for you to become Incorporated. You can find their wedsite here.
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Co...ociations.html

My locial club here in Tassie went through all this only acouple of years back. To my surprise we found it alot easier to work through the state goverment bodies rather then the locial council. Also for insurance we went through OAMPS and got a $10mil public liability cover very cheap as they classed "RC Racing" as a motor sport.

Cheers & Good Luck.
Rick
Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waynej
Sorry, should have stated where tha track would be - it is going to be in Lake Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia.

The intention is that it would be a not for profit incorporated club. Any funds / profits are put back into the club and the development of rc racing.

What would be good to get an idea on is how people sold the concept of the community benefit of rc racing, the social aspects of it, how it brings people together and another important point about how it can be a safe place for kids to take RC cars.

Not sure about the US but I think one of the things we are missing is how we can bring new people into the sport (I have a huge debate with my wife over calling it a sport!) but this is important. A lot of kids get RC cars as presents etc, having a facility provides a safe place where they can come learn about RC cars (both electric and nitro) and then develop their skills.

Just need to tie all this into a business plan!
just like alot of things its not what you know but who you know if you want stuff done so my small bit of advice is to get in contact with somone high up in your local council you need to convince them that its a sport for the community you must be able to get them onside or its pushing shit up hill excuse the punt, now looking for a place to have your new race facility that allows long term lease minimum 5 years even better 10 years with basic rent as cheap as you can get it for. get onside with someone who has access to earthc works machinary. if you could get in with another sport ie soccer,footy,rugby,gocarts?? that has spare land then that will make things so much easier for you but be prepared that at this point it could take more than 6months even a year. but I like to use the old saying from that movie "build it and they will come"
good luck with it all