Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The death of my RC8. And rebirth???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default The death of my RC8. And rebirth???

My first 1/8th scale, first buggy, first nitro. Got it here on trade, tuned it for my area, replaced a part or two and have had a blast. As mentioned in the Associated RC8 Buggy thread, I had cleaned this over the last couple of days and added a few upgrades to it. I went yesterday and picked up some Byron's Gen2 and was ready for tuning today. I was taking this bad boy to the track, it was finally open!!

I'm up at the LHS and realize I left my battery box cover. I figured, meh, I'll be fine......right. A buddy there takes control to help tune, opens up the throttle a bit, goes over a small dip and the battery flies out. I didn't tell him the cover was off. You all know what happened next.......

Before I crashed it, it was pretty and clean.

As of about 2 hours ago...

Two holes in it?! WT......?!

Only ripped one or two out, that's all.

Another angle.

Speaking of angles, that front end looks a little twisted. (I took the shock off, no issue there.)

Decent nick in the chassis, not sure how bad it's bent.

Not sure if you can tell but, that plate is bent.

Check out the amount of stress those holes took.

Looks to be a little twisted, what do you think?

I know it has a slight curve to it, but I don't think it's usually like this. Is this obviously bent? I don't see stress marks in the chassis.

New diff. case anyone?

One more part added to the list.

So this is the path it took, Approx. 530 ft. give or take 10 or so.

The bummer for me was that I didn't even get to see, or hear it hit. I chased after it but, it was freaking w i d e open. I'm guess at least 45-50mph, 30% nitro. Lost site of it, heard it screaming.....then silence. It landed about 3-4 feet from point of impact. There was a splash of fuel on the ground and wall where it hit, and a big puddle where it lay, broken....beaten.......almost lifeless.

But she'll be back...she'll come back to life. You'll see.

So really, on a more serious note, how bad is that chassis bent? I can't tell as this is my first one, so I don't really remember how it looked.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Rookie

MAN THAT SUCKS LOL

New Tank
New Diff Cases
Maybe some new screws?
Top plate
chassis brace?
Shocktower?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Worse part is, most of those were JUST INSTALLED NEW this week. LOL!!

I think the shock tower is fine, haven't gotten that far yet, The brace may be ok as well, we'll see. I feel like the front diff. shaft may be bent, and the top plate was new also. Just insane. Could have been worse, but just crazy.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

looks like it took a trip thru town that sucks
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Wow, who was tuning that for you?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well, looks like you had your steering trimmed pretty good!!! WOOPSIE!!!! You live ya learn .....bummer dude.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cyberacer
Wow, who was tuning that for you?
I buddy at the LHS. He was inside when I had started it, he grabbed the transmitter when he came out and I didn't say anything about the battery box. Totally my fault, I knew it wasn't on there. Now I have an experience to look back upon.

The red line on the map is the actual trajectory. The blue line was googles walking directions, the longest line being 538 feet. The reason there is a curve in the line is because it rubbed against the curb, I hoped it would flip. In vein.

I was so looking forward to getting it on the track tonight. Frown face.

Also, all the wet looking stuff is fuel. If it wasn't obvious already.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

I would have been more concerned about injury to people or damage to property than my car after a run off like that.......
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Prophet

thats why you have to add a goodys hair band to the carb so it pulls the throttle shut if that happens .

that, saying i did the same thing when i was on the track before i forgot to add the 2 body clips on my eight-t and as soon as i hit a big jump.

and, landed the battery plug pulled apart thank god for the rubber band on the carb it dint go anywhere and the failsafe kicked in also .

if i dint have the rubber band around the carb i think i would take off pretty far lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
thats why you have to add a goodys hair band to the carb so it pulls the throttle shut if that happens .

that, saying i did the same thing when i was on the track before i forgot to add the 2 body clips on my eight-t and as soon as i hit a big jump.

and, landed the battery plug pulled apart thank god for the rubber band on the carb it dint go anywhere and the failsafe kicked in also .

if i dint have the rubber band around the carb i think i would take off pretty far lol.
How does your failsafe kick in if you have no power for your electronics?

It doesn't.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ronsand
I would have been more concerned about injury to people or damage to property than my car after a run off like that.......
Well, luckily it's kind of an industrial business park and it was early enough. It was pretty empty. Regardless, I was very concerned about that. Being no one was around and no one/nothing got hurt except my stuff, that's now what I'm worried about.

Originally Posted by tc5 man

Another mistake, I didn't put it back on after cleaning. Even though I knew about that and i had one on prior.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

WFO for that long, I'd be more concerned about the motor. Better have someone tear it down and check the rod. I'm sure it grew a mm or 2 during that excursion. OUCH!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 071crazy
How does your failsafe kick in if you have no power for your electronics?

It doesn't.

oh, yea sorry i forgot but like i said its really important to have a thin rubber band around the carb thats what i was telling him.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cyberacer
WFO for that long, I'd be more concerned about the motor. Better have someone tear it down and check the rod. I'm sure it grew a mm or 2 during that excursion. OUCH!
I've been thinking about that, I'm already figuring it's toast. I have most of the spares already and most of what I need to convert it to electric. When I get a new chassis, I assume I need one, I'll see if it's working. If not, electric it goes. But thank you, I'll have someone help look.

Can anyone tell how bad the chassis may, or may not be bent?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by marooko
I've been thinking about that, I'm already figuring it's toast. I have most of the spares already and most of what I need to convert it to electric. When I get a new chassis, I assume I need one, I'll see if it's working. If not, electric it goes. But thank you, I'll have someone help look.

Can anyone tell how bad the chassis may, or may not be bent?

no nitro for you anymore ?
you can get quality nitro engines for less than $200 now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.