Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Recommend a driver set >

Recommend a driver set

Recommend a driver set

Reply

Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 PM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
TX_Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 810
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Recommend a driver set

Looks like i'll be getting back into the hobby with my first 1/8th scale nitro with the 2011 XRAY 808. Now I guess it's time for some new tools

What size drivers will I need for my upcoming 808 build? Can anyone recommend a reasonable driver set? I don't need a Hudy set either

Is there really a benefit to a set that's r/c specific compared to a non r/c specific driver?

Thanks
TX_Punisher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 991
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

EDS.
RAlmeida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
ScottyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami OK
Posts: 3,149
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

If money is no big deal then Hudy, EDS, or VP Pro..

If money is a bit tight Integy Tin Coated. I have some and they have held up exceptionally well..
ScottyM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
FlatBusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

http://shop.rcproproducts.com/catego...6?categoryId=2
FlatBusted is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
mccutch12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Charleston, OH
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I use the losi drivers. Really good set for the money and I love them.
mccutch12001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
If money is no big deal then Hudy, EDS, or VP Pro..

If money is a bit tight Integy Tin Coated. I have some and they have held up exceptionally well..
which would you say is better (assuming you've had both) VP-Pro or integy?

its about time for some new ones for me and i was going to go with VP-Pro till i saw integy prices LOL
jmaxey51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 991
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

when it comes to tools, you get what you pay for......
RAlmeida is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (40)
 
305M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
which would you say is better (assuming you've had both) VP-Pro or integy?

its about time for some new ones for me and i was going to go with VP-Pro till i saw integy prices LOL
I've got Integy tips for my electric screw driver and regular Integy wrenches. I've used the VP Pro and I think VP Pro are better wrenches. They have a better fit and the handles are better.

I've used the Integy wrenches and tips for about 2.5 years and they are definitely showing wear. Since I'm in the market for new tools, I'm gonna go w/ EDS or HUDY. My recommendation is to buy the best and not worry about them for a while.

Again, just my opinion.
305M3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
dnebout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
EDS.
+1
dnebout is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 305M3 View Post
I've got Integy tips for my electric screw driver and regular Integy wrenches. I've used the VP Pro and I think VP Pro are better wrenches. They have a better fit and the handles are better.

I've used the Integy wrenches and tips for about 2.5 years and they are definitely showing wear. Since I'm in the market for new tools, I'm gonna go w/ EDS or HUDY. My recommendation is to buy the best and not worry about them for a while.

Again, just my opinion.
thanks, all i needed to know. i figured they wouldnt fit as well and thats what im wanting to avoid. was going to go with EDS but everyone has them it seems like and i want something a little different so people cant take them and say its theirs
jmaxey51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,165
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

I have the EDS 1/4 inch drivers for the power scew driver,

My favorite by far. The VP-Pro ones look good and you can get the cool tool base for them.
Teufel Racing is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (40)
 
305M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
thanks, all i needed to know. i figured they wouldnt fit as well and thats what im wanting to avoid. was going to go with EDS but everyone has them it seems like and i want something a little different so people cant take them and say its theirs
No worries. I think I'm going w/ the EDS also.

1. Can customize w/ your name
2. Pick up to 25 different tools (who the crap uses the body reamer? j/k)
3. Comes in its own case

I've used them and they are solid. Great feel fit snug as a glove.
305M3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 PM
  #13  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
Default

Hudy set
Jaap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (40)
 
ben73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,756
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

I purchased a set of hudy tools in 2005.

In that time I have replaced 1 .050 hex tip. They are awesome and worth every cent I laid out back in 2005.
ben73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
  #15  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (27)
 
utah300rum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 487
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I had a Dynamite set about a year and the tips were still solid....the set got "lost" so I bought a Turnigy set from HK.com.

The Turnigy set looked good and felt good, a little slippery the surface was smooth...I was really happy until I started using them. The 2.0mm started to round off after only a few uses. I pulled apart 2 of my cars to get ready for the race season and the tip appeared to be starting to "round off"
By the time I was done the edges were rounding and I spun it inside a screw...it was done. I stripped the larger driver the first time I tried to remove a screw fron my engine mount!!
I was very dissapointed!...I went and got another set of the Dynamite drivers from the LHS.

I have a Bondhus ball tip set and a Dynamite regular set......both are pretty economical and they have held up well. The LHS has extra dynamite tips if I ever need them.

If money wasnt an option I have used some Hudy drivers and they do seem top notch no doubt, havnt used EDS but have heard good things.
utah300rum is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service