Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Astro turf and tire wear...  UK guys? >

Astro turf and tire wear... UK guys?

Astro turf and tire wear... UK guys?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Astro turf and tire wear... UK guys?

living in Canada i will probably never get to drive on astro turf, but with the talks of what it costs to race going on, i was wondering if turf was worse or better...

also how does it handle next to dirt and clay?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Astroturf is hideous to race 8thscale on.
given the choice that its astro or nothing then i choose nothing & just stop racing over the winter. its that bad
Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Astro has some advantages..

- track doesn't get blown out
- grip
- car stays clean
- you can drive if it's wet
- as a club you don't have to rebuild the tracksurface after a racingday, in europe / netherlands we don't have commercially owned tracks > nobody wants to do track maintenance
- you can drive 3 weekends on the best astrotire, schumacher minipins without losing grip or the need to buy new tires

Astro also had some disadvantages..
- boring
- grip
- hard to find a good setup with the right tires (minipins)
- car stays clean ;-)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Ignore supercross, he has a thing against astro, and while I tend to agree in as much as its not the best surface to race on, given the choice of nothing from October to April, or astro....I'll take astro any time!

As for wear, its almost non existent on tyres, I used a set of mini pins in a 6hr endurance race last year, and was still using them this last weekend. Schumacher are the tyre of choice, be it wet (Spirals) damp (mini spikes) or dry (mini pins) all at various levels of trim. Most folk trim a couple or more rows off each side of the tread to lessen the grip for dry use, other wise you grip-roll at the slightest hint of steering input!.

Grip is insane in the dry, and pants in the wet.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does anyone know the best way to build an astro turf track? Trying to get a new club started and might be able to get some astro turf from a hockey field.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ajj View Post
Does anyone know the best way to build an astro turf track? Trying to get a new club started and might be able to get some astro turf from a hockey field.
Just build it like a dirt track, then cover it in astro, almost as simple as that. The surface needs to be pinned down really well even as heavy as it is, it tends to ripple in places if not secured down properly.

Bear in mind that the sand or rubber from the astro will come through quite heavily for the first few months. The track in the pic below was laid back in Oct/Nov last year and has seen numerous 1/8 and 1/5 scale races and still has a ton of sand coming through.

Theres a vid of it here and the build pics are here
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

A little unfair adam but agree astro or dirt? dirt wins every time & personally hate the green fuzzy stuff.
Astro has its place so if in the winter when the dirt tracks become unusable due to rain it gives guys a place to race but personally would rather wait a week or so for a dry patch to race dirt. Unfortunately this winter again since november had 3 race weekends on dirt of meaning full racing other than that to wet, astro could of raced nearly every weekend.
An astro track if layed properly can be great fun & include features that match a dirt track in design but many venues lack that ability to either lay the astro the correct way or build a proper jump thats consistent, this is what makes the track hideous & inconsistent but this is exaggerated by the grip.
As for costs only several tires work so costs are kept down here & both last well. Grip takes a bit of getting used to as when wet is very greasy & when dry grip is immense & pretty much like driving 1/12th. As a surface can be a very unfair as dry & wet times differ by 5+ seconds a lap so if it becomes wet mid round your history.
It makes for easy maintenace for the clubs but personally its only a winter surface for when its to wet for dirt.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

That's a super track. I wouldn't mind at all racing at it
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ronsand View Post
That's a super track. I wouldn't mind at all racing at it
Is a cool track & difference being built by racers from the start who know what a track should be & what racers want. Well other than the fact its still the green fuzzy stuff but due to location is best choice of surface.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Dirt is more fun to drive on imo, but you much more car maintainance then on astro. When astro is dry, you have just too much grip with the right tires and we cut the outer rows of pins of the tires. The tires wear very good on astro. Actually, a tire with some wear that is broken in, performs better than new tires on astro.

I race on both surfaces and I enjoy them both. When I race on astro and I come home and I put the car on the self until the next race. I might change the diff oils and shockoils, but that's it.
When I race on dirt and I come, I start tearing the car down to get all the dust and sand out of it and clean all the hinge pins for a free moving suspension.

The only thing I hate about astro and dirt is that the setup is totally different so when I change from surface. On astro I take as much grip as possibly away and on dirt you want the opposite ofcourse.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I personally like dirt tracks. Just seems more 'off-road'. Like previously said, astro does have its place, especially during the wet winter months. Come the summer, dirt tracks are best and grip levels more consistant (small drizzle in the morning before the meeting and astro is like racing on ice). Best of both worlds is a dirt track with the faces and landings of each jump covered with astro so no matter how many people race, the jumps won't blow out.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Astro has some advantages..

- track doesn't get blown out
- grip
- car stays clean
- you can drive if it's wet
- as a club you don't have to rebuild the tracksurface after a racingday, in europe / netherlands we don't have commercially owned tracks > nobody wants to do track maintenance
- you can drive 3 weekends on the best astrotire, schumacher minipins without losing grip or the need to buy new tires

Astro also had some disadvantages..
- boring
- grip
- hard to find a good setup with the right tires (minipins)
- car stays clean ;-)

Well I am agree with you that it would must be helpful for me to get the better grip and smart speed into this forum.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Here in Germany dirt tracks are blown out by bad weather way too much. I'd be all for astroturf. Dirt is great in theory.. - til it rains. Cleaner, less tire wear, can run the day after it rains, don't need so much maintenance, etc.. Screw dirt(if you live someplace rainy anyway). Astroturf all the way afaic.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Driving on astro is a lot like driving a 1/10th buggy indoors on carpet. The traction rolls can be brutal.