Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies >

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

Reply

Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM
  #106  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 450
Default

Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
i guess the point of my post was this:

The cost of racing varies greatly depending on your home track
The cost of racing varies based on your expectations, and competitiveness.

you cant quantify it generally
lol the real point i was trying to get is which pro kit is the lowest cost to own ... when you add in kit cost .. parts cost ... you know some kits require more love some are tough.. .. you know like edmunds 5year ownership ... but it took off in a diff direction
Tcaputo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
  #107  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
johnny t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,289
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

The not-so-crazy thing is I will burn up more tires in practice/testing than I will racing this summer.

In the midwest the races we attend for the outdoors vary greatly surface wise. It is always necessary to pack 5-6 different treads in at least two different compounds in order to be prepared. plus have multiples of such in case the race conditions demand it. quite an investment up front and wont use all those tires up of course. but is a fact of racing, where there is no guaranty that the tires I need for the event will be available for sale.

the wrong tires can cost you .5-1 second a lap easy. If you are racing intermediate that is of no concern. step it up a level and that stuff starts to matter.

if your need more than twenty sets a year your a rich noob, is not really fair to say. And agreed everyones racing situation is different, but at a certain competitive level, everyones situation is the same $$$.
johnny t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
  #108  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
johnny t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,289
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
lol the real point i was trying to get is which pro kit is the lowest cost to own ... when you add in kit cost .. parts cost ... you know some kits require more love some are tough.. .. you know like edmunds 5year ownership ... but it took off in a diff direction
sorry for the derail........mugen
johnny t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
  #109  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
AZRC4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 1,147
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Unless you find a killer deal, it's going to cost around $1000 if you have zero equipment. Maybe less, maybe more, but a G seems the average.

I spend less on RC than a guy at my work spends on fishing, and fishing is boring as hell IMO!!

There is no real "cheap kit to own". They all have their strengths and weaknesses and require $$ for upkeep and maintenance. Mugen is solid, but parts are expensive. D8s are cheap initially and parts are cheaper, but imo you need more parts more often. Others may disagree, but I've owned both and this was my experience. In the end, they cost about the same to own/maintain.
AZRC4Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM
  #110  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,816
Default

You cant compare this to ANYTHING EXPERT PRO FACTORY driver do.

If any of us was good enough to even qualify for a B main in the EXPERT class, you will be FULLY sponsored. This would not be an issue.
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
  #111  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
johnny t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,289
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
Unless you find a killer deal, it's going to cost around $1000 if you have zero equipment. Maybe less, maybe more, but a G seems the average.

I spend less on RC than a guy at my work spends on fishing, and fishing is boring as hell IMO!!

My neighbor gave up RC aircraft long ago to go fishing. he now has like 5 boats
johnny t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
  #112  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
AZRC4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 1,147
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by johnny t View Post
The not-so-crazy thing is I will burn up more tires in practice/testing than I will racing this summer.

In the midwest the races we attend for the outdoors vary greatly surface wise. It is always necessary to pack 5-6 different treads in at least two different compounds in order to be prepared. plus have multiples of such in case the race conditions demand it. quite an investment up front and wont use all those tires up of course. but is a fact of racing, where there is no guaranty that the tires I need for the event will be available for sale.

the wrong tires can cost you .5-1 second a lap easy. If you are racing intermediate that is of no concern. step it up a level and that stuff starts to matter.

if your need more than twenty sets a year your a rich noob, is not really fair to say. And agreed everyones racing situation is different, but at a certain competitive level, everyones situation is the same $$$.
This post is dead-on about the tire expense.
AZRC4Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
  #113  
Tech Master
iTrader: (67)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,910
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by token View Post
You cant compare this to ANYTHING EXPERT PRO FACTORY driver do.

If any of us was good enough to even qualify for a B main in the EXPERT class, you will be FULLY sponsored. This would not be an issue.

Not really. Fully sponsored meaning 100%?

There was a driver who made the pro truggy a-main at nitro challenge that wasn't fully sponsored.

You'd be surprised what it costs to compete at that level even with a healthy sponsorship that isn't 100%.
rc23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
  #114  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,999
Default

call me crazy but during a season at the most i use only 2 sets of aka soft truggy tires grated i am running truggy.

thats why i stay away from high grip clay tracks $$.

like, i said before there are good quality servos for $90/$100 for a club racer i been using for a long time and never had one go bad on me .
tc5 man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
  #115  
Tech Rookie
 
Ezy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default

I've only started this hobby 3 weeks ago, got my first HSP 1/8 Camper Pro buggy cheap $250 two day in got a bit trigger happy !!smashed!! the whole front end which cost me over $250 in parts. Got that fixed Next went the wing stay, Steering Servo, Steering servo/saver and a few bent dog bones. ($100) Now waiting on a few aluminum part to come home from ebay.

... While waiting i got given two 1/8 Hypers 8.5 and 1/10 HSP warhead with loads of tools and spare parts. ... I have to say after a whole week bashing the Hobao Hyper is a sweet machine (running a .28 GO Engine) not a single penny spent besides feeding time and for 4 liters for $50 this hobby is going to chew the pocket.
Ezy123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
  #116  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 147
Default

Originally Posted by J.Sears View Post
Hell I wouldn't want to know how much money I spend on this hobby. All hobbies are expensive unless you take up knitting or something like that...lol and I don't ever see that happening.
I don't know how cheap that knitting thing is. My wife has a little over 200.00 just in knitting needles, And another 2,000 to 3,000 in yarn. And that does not count all of the dies she uses.

But the start up cost is the killer.
jettaturbogls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
  #117  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,816
Default

Originally Posted by jettaturbogls View Post
I don't know how cheap that knitting thing is. My wife has a little over 200.00 just in knitting needles, And another 2,000 to 3,000 in yarn. And that does not count all of the dies she uses.

But the start up cost is the killer.
Try beading - my wife has lord knows how much invested.
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
  #118  
Tech Rookie
 
Ezy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Talking

I've only started this hobby 3 weeks ago, got my first HSP 1/8 Camper Pro buggy cheap $250 two day in got a bit trigger happy !!smashed!! the whole front end which cost me over $250 in parts. Got that fixed Next went the wing stay, Steering Servo, Steering servo/saver and a few bent dog bones. ($100) Now waiting on a few aluminum part to come home from ebay.

... While waiting i got given two 1/8 Hypers 8.5 and 1/10 HSP warhead with loads of tools and spare parts. ... I have to say after a whole week bashing the Hobao Hyper is a sweet machine (running a .28 GO Engine) not a single penny spent besides feeding time and for 4 liters for $50 this hobby is going to chew the pocket.
Ezy123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
  #119  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (15)
 
JFAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 391
Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default

I Started 2-3 years ago have raced mostly club races and a a few larger events. I race buggy and truck. I have went from a car with everything used to all brand new parts. So cost can very a lot it all depends on what you want.

Buggy 800-1200
Truck 800-1200
Case of fuel 100
Starter box w Battery 80-100
Tx 250-450
Spare servos 200
spare parts 300-500
transponder 90
paint for bodies 30
wheels tires 2 sets per car/truck 200-250
Spare motor 200-350
misc tools 150

Table for the track 40
Tool Box 30
canopy 100
Lights and power cord 50

approx total $4170 If your going to buy everything at once and be ready to go racing with two classes and be able to make it though most events and club races with no issues.

With this almost every other week I make a $50-150 online order to replace anything i have used or need to have.

Here is an example of a large race

Getting ready to race nationals last year I spent $80 per entry $25 roar membership and $400 worth or any extra parts wheels tires ect. I could think of to make sure I could make it through the 4 days of racing with out needing anything. Plus food drink and motel which I only stayed at one night because i was within an hr and a half drive of the track. large events could be very expensive if you travel and can stay cheap most likely $1000+ per race.

Now after spending this money I feel I have enough parts spares with competitive cars to be able to compete at most races and be able to finish the week/weekend without any trouble.

Sorry for the long post but should give a good idea at what it takes.
JFAB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
  #120  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
cordarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 542
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

If I had to budget....I'd find something else to do.

I want it all....and I want it now.
cordarrow is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service