Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I've run a losi, O'Donnell, Mugen and associated. Of those I've liked the Mugen the best so far. Very stable and in a very good match if you like to drive very hard. I am switching to a Serpent and have my loaded Mugen for sale. I'm looking for more steering and somewhat of a planted rear end. From watching the Serpents I've seen they look to drive that way.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

have a mugen for one year very good car ... not that easy to setup for me... the losi was fast but the hardest to control... buy the durango and felt in love with the car... a buddy give me a d8 hara to test and both the durango and the hot bodies d8 hara are very easy to drive... hope it helps
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i've also been looking at the serpent buggy but really never had a chance to look at one up close.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
I've run a losi, O'Donnell, Mugen and associated. Of those I've liked the Mugen the best so far. Very stable and in a very good match if you like to drive very hard. I am switching to a Serpent and have my loaded Mugen for sale. I'm looking for more steering and somewhat of a planted rear end. From watching the Serpents I've seen they look to drive that way.
serpents are loose, or atleast the couple i drove when they first came out were... may of been how the people that had them set them up though...

i love my OD, once i got a setup on it, it is very planted and consistent and it turns like no other buggy out there IMHO. in some cases it has to much steering, i never have to go to full turn/lock position. ... the Mugen is a good buggy also, very planted and the m-spec setup is about spot on, its a little to planted IMO...

your going to get 100 different answers, my advice is try to drive one of each if you can and see which one fits YOUR driving style best. everyone likes something a little different, i like my OD SG buggy because it fits me best and it simply turns and holds up... i wouldn't trade it for any other buggy.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

My brother has Losi and i run Mugen and He complains about the same thing..The losi is just way to loose in the rear, he feels its driving on ice. Hes tried all kinds of things to tame it down but just cant seem to get it. He ran my buggy last weekend and LOVED it. Fit his driving style much much better and he said it felt way more planted over his losi. He liked every aspect of the mugens handling over the losi...So many give Mugen a shot?! Parts i dont find are that unreasonable compaired to others and you wont need them...i have only broke 1 lower front arm and a steering tie rod out of both my buggy and truggy..i always buy cheap spares when i find them but im just getting a bigger and bigger pile of spares i havnt touched..
Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Prophet

I, raced with you last year in "sportsman truggy" at the hut but anyways i drove my "eight 1.0" in the 09 season and it wasnt the easyiest buggy to drive the rear end was fishtaily i still have it though il likely convert it to electric.

i, know you raced at diffrent tracks so from what i seen at most tracks its losi/associated have you took a look at the rc8b ?

i, know theres guys showing up with mugen mx6b now at most tracks ive heard there set up right out the box.

it, depends on what driving style you have since you said your not the smoothest than a "eight 2.0" isnt for you the buggys you can drive harder are rc8b and the hb d8 and mugen mx6b.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

the serpent has enought traction now you just need about a gallon to get it broke in. we have set up form blowen the hell out to smooth and clay. just take a lil time to get used to the amount of traction and the amount of steering that comes form the front of the car
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Heres a completely non biased post coming from a Serpent driver.

If you want a stable car thats constantly well planted in the rear I would say either AE or Mugen. Both are amazingly easy to drive and very well planted.
Both have nice parts quality, Mugen being better but the AE makes up for it in the price. So thats my suggestion!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Dont care what it is, its all in prep and setup.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have to agree with Porkchop, the Serpent is a great buggy after about 1 gal. of fuel. And I love the quality of the car and the support has been great.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

[QUOTE=tgrand;8699813]I have to agree with Porkchop, the Serpent is a great buggy after about 1 gal. of fuel. And I love the quality of the car and the support has been great.[/QUOTE

+1 on that. The 811 is a top notch ride with a lot of everyday drivers brainstoming to keep it on top.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

I will give you a break down of how I feel about all of the major car brands out there. This is just my opinion so try and keep the flaming to a minimum if I don't think you car is the best .

Losi - I drove this myself for over 2 years and thought it was the greatest car ever. Then I drove some other cars that were at the track and immediately switched to Xray. To me, the car is never good, but at the same time it was never bad. It seemed like it always made decent traction and would only steer from the rear end. I could never drive it hard enough for my liking...

Associated - I don't have much wheeltime with this car, but from what I can tell it makes a lot of traction. I've driven one that had a ton of steering and another that had no steering. I guess it is all in the set-up. The thing I really didn't like about it was how heavy it felt on the track. It just seemed sluggish. The newer versions are much better than the older versions...I drove both and both of them have this same sort of feel to them.

Mugen - This car is pretty good and it really seems to do well on a rough track. I've driven a few different ones and they all seemed to have a good balance of steering and traction. I haven't seen enough of them or driven one enough to really see a downside, but I definitely thought it was a decent buggy.

Xray - This is my car so you will probably be expecting some bias but I will do my best to keep it balanced. This car is really really good. The first weekend I drove this car I was 10 seconds faster than my Losi on the same track layout, same tires, same everything. Tons of steering and tons of traction. The thing I like about this car especially is the fact that the harder you drive it, the better it gets. I have almost a year on my Xray and can't wait to get my new 808 '11 spec. It really is a good car. The only downside that prevents people from getting this car is parts availability. Yes, the parts aren't usually carried in your LHS and parts are more expensive compared to the Losi and Associated, but this is definitely one of the most durable cars on the market. Since I got it in April I can honestly say I've only broken one part (shock bottom). Again, this is what I drive and I highly recommend it.

Kyosho - I have only driven this car once and it seemed to be a great car. I'm not going to say much about this car since I only have 8-10 laps on one of these. It was good enough to win the worlds though right? Downside...it is so freaking expensive. Not only is the kit itself anywhere from $750-$1100, but parts are unreal. I think I heard a set of front springs was $15? Yikes. If you got the money though, you can't go wrong with this one.

Serpent - Never drove one, they have positives and negatives just like every car. The machining looks sweet though.

Durango and JQ - I'm not even going to go over these. I've never driven them, but I have seen them on the track. If I say what I want to say I will get destroyed by every JQ and Durango owner.

I hope this helps. You honestly can not go wrong with the XRAY. It might seem like a really uncommon car, but it truly is the best cars I have driven. I have gotten numerous people to switch over to the XRAY brand after they have driven my cars and they really seem to like them.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver

Xray - This is my car so you will probably be expecting some bias but I will do my best to keep it balanced. This car is really really good. The first weekend I drove this car I was 10 seconds faster than my Losi on the same track layout, same tires, same everything. Tons of steering and tons of traction. The thing I like about this car especially is the fact that the harder you drive it, the better it gets. I have almost a year on my Xray and can't wait to get my new 808 '11 spec. It really is a good car. The only downside that prevents people from getting this car is parts availability. Yes, the parts aren't usually carried in your LHS and parts are more expensive compared to the Losi and Associated, but this is definitely one of the most durable cars on the market. Since I got it in April I can honestly say I've only broken one part (shock bottom). Again, this is what I drive and I highly recommend it.

I hope this helps. You honestly can not go wrong with the XRAY. It might seem like a really uncommon car, but it truly is the best cars I have driven. I have gotten numerous people to switch over to the XRAY brand after they have driven my cars and they really seem to like them.
I'm thinking of picking up the 2011 version. This will be my first 1/8th scale nitro buggy. Although the 2011 is barely out, and for some of us without local XRAY parts support, what type of spare parts would be good to have around for the 808?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
I will give you a break down of how I feel about all of the major car brands out there. This is just my opinion so try and keep the flaming to a minimum if I don't think you car is the best .

Losi - I drove this myself for over 2 years and thought it was the greatest car ever. Then I drove some other cars that were at the track and immediately switched to Xray. To me, the car is never good, but at the same time it was never bad. It seemed like it always made decent traction and would only steer from the rear end. I could never drive it hard enough for my liking...

Associated - I don't have much wheeltime with this car, but from what I can tell it makes a lot of traction. I've driven one that had a ton of steering and another that had no steering. I guess it is all in the set-up. The thing I really didn't like about it was how heavy it felt on the track. It just seemed sluggish. The newer versions are much better than the older versions...I drove both and both of them have this same sort of feel to them.

Mugen - This car is pretty good and it really seems to do well on a rough track. I've driven a few different ones and they all seemed to have a good balance of steering and traction. I haven't seen enough of them or driven one enough to really see a downside, but I definitely thought it was a decent buggy.

Kyosho - I have only driven this car once and it seemed to be a great car. I'm not going to say much about this car since I only have 8-10 laps on one of these. It was good enough to win the worlds though right? Downside...it is so freaking expensive. Not only is the kit itself anywhere from $750-$1100, but parts are unreal. I think I heard a set of front springs was $15? Yikes. If you got the money though, you can't go wrong with this one.

Serpent - Never drove one, they have positives and negatives just like every car. The machining looks sweet though.

Durango and JQ - I'm not even going to go over these. I've never driven them, but I have seen them on the track. If I say what I want to say I will get destroyed by every JQ and Durango owner.

Junk ?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Junk ?
Arby's #5 Kids Meal where ya been? and...maybe. I didn't say it though!

TX - On the '10 spec I really only had to replace small things like CVD pins and bearings. My recommendation is to stock up on CVD pins and bearings and wheel it. The nice thing about Xray is nothing ever breaks...it is more of a "do I want to replace that" kinda thing. After 10 months of running this buggy hard just about every weekend, the only thing that is showing wear and will need replaced soon are the pins in the driveshafts and the outdrives themselves. The plastic pieces have started to get a little sloppy, but it is still very tight (if that makes since). I think you will really like this car, especially since RC America is based in Texas and you will see quite a few time drivers down your way. Let me know if you have any more questions, PM me whenever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.