Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Nitro RC Buggy From Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New Nitro RC Buggy From Scratch

Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it . So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Paldude
Hi everyone, as the title says, i wanted to build my own nitro offroad 1/8 scale from scratch. I was wondering what pieces you would suggest. For example, best chassis, etc. I do not need any help on finding a motor since i have not even started building it . So what pieces would you suggest for every little detail.
That would probably be doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

I would think you would be better off buying a kit for the chassis you like best, then upgrading it from there.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dmusgrave
That would probably be doable, but I bet it would be expensive.

I would think you would be better off buying a kit for the chassis you like best, then upgrading it from there.
would you suggest not doing it at all?
about the kits. the kits come with the pieces exept for the motor and all the parts to make the car function, is that right?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

would you suggest not doing it at all?
about the kits. the kits come with the pieces exept for the motor and all the parts to make the car function, is that right?
Yeah pretty much that's what you get with a kit.

I think you'd pretty much wind up with a modified kit if you buy off the shelf parts, so you'd come out cheaper buying a kit and adding mods from there I imagine.

If you have a LOT of money I suppose you could design your own mods and have them custom machined, but I'm sure not smart enough to do that.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah pretty much that's what you get with a kit.

I think you'd pretty much wind up with a modified kit if you buy off the shelf parts, so you'd come out cheaper buying a kit and adding mods from there I imagine.

If you have a LOT of money I suppose you could design your own mods and have them custom machined, but I'm sure not smart enough to do that.
Then what would you suggest on a nice kit to buy. I saw the poll and saw that the majority of people preffer Mugen cars. I was thinking of the xray 808 or something like it. And another question, is the kit and the raceroller models the same thing?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Then what would you suggest on a nice kit to buy. I saw the poll and saw that the majority of people preffer Mugen cars. I was thinking of the xray 808 or something like it. And another question, is the kit and the raceroller models the same thing?
All of them are capable of winning races

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.

I personally would rather build a kit than buy a roller. Reason one, I would KNOW everything was put together properly. Reason two, I could perform any modifications or upgrades I was interested in during the build process, even simple things like shock oil and springs. The car would be set up to "my specs" right out of the gate. Reason three, I would know how the car assembles and disassembles from the initial build experience, so I would feel confident in doing maintainance and repair right off the bat.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm sure not experienced enough to make any suggestions, there are threads about pretty much anything you might be interested in here though.
thancks for your help.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

I personally would rather build a kit than buy a roller. Reason one, I would KNOW everything was put together properly. Reason two, I could perform any modifications or upgrades I was interested in during the build process, even simple things like shock oil and springs. The car would be set up to "my specs" right out of the gate. Reason three, I would know how the car assembles and disassembles from the initial build experience, so I would feel confident in doing maintainance and repair right off the bat.
TLR is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.

Last edited by token; 02-15-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.
Awe I like the rollers, but I agree they have made me lazy. I do enjoy building the kit myself from the ground up that way I know whats in it, but with 2 kids and a wife well time is precious.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TRL is answering your call. They will not produce anymore rollers moving forward. All kits.
TLR
Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

thank you everyone
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think the biggest thing in designing any new kit(s) is having the resources to create different or new parts. Ex: CNC mill and/or lathe, Pressure mold(s), etc, etc.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

luckily for you somebody has already just done all that

you can read about it here - http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ducts-car.html

plus read the development stories on his site, they contain plenty of information on the development & testing phases
Old 12-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I could be mistaken but in the TLR video I watched they said all would be kits except for the 8 and 8T. They were still going to be race rollers.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.