R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Setting front Camber?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/481293-setting-front-camber.html)

RandyJones 02-11-2011 07:51 PM

Setting front Camber??

I have seen it done a couple ways. When you are setting up your vehicle, do you set the camber with the wheel you are checking with the tire straight or turn on radio and set it when the tires are at your desired toe? I have always done it with the radio on and with the tires set at the toe I want to run.

So, what is the correct way?

tc5 man 02-11-2011 08:02 PM

for, camber i just lift the front or rear up about 4 inches and measure the camber as for the front toe i agree the best way is to have the radio on because if you dont the toe will change.

im, not sure if you drop the front and rear than measure the camber and press down intill the chassis bottoms out than measure the camber ?

im not sure if you have to do that or not ?

dnebout 02-11-2011 09:58 PM

I drop it from about 10" in the air, compress the suspension once and check it.

I used to do it differently by checking it as I rolled it forward but was schooled a couple of weeks ago.

dragracechief 02-11-2011 10:17 PM

Adam Drake has a video on youtube on the 8ight 2.0, he demonstates how to set droop, ride hight, and camber. Might be helpfull.

Bren Ralls 02-11-2011 11:04 PM

Setting toe & camber is never a wrong or right way but what works for you. The Drake video is very helpfull & works for him but when you change ride height camber will be out to what you set.

I personally use the Hudy setup stuff , place the 30mm blocks under the chassis & press onto them this is always the datum. If i need to increase or reduce camber due to conditions or feel it just goes back on the blocks & have always a reference no matter what my ride height to work to.
For toe I do the same as ride height & use the block. The amount of toe will alter with ride height depending how much bump steer you have. I tend not to use the radio for this as its often in a radio pound & no access, so made a clamp that jams up the steering rack in a central position.

AZRC4Me 02-11-2011 11:06 PM

However you do it, do it the same way everytime so you have reference points. I understand though that if you do it differently than someone else, their -3deg might not be your -3deg, etc.

johnny t 02-12-2011 06:21 PM

hey randy, where you been? have not seen you guys at raceworld.

I always turn the wheel I am checking straight so the camber value is consistent no matter the toe. camber makes its mark when your turning, not so much on a straight away.

MikeFriery 02-12-2011 07:25 PM

front camber should definitely always be set with the wheel straight

RandyJones 02-12-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnny t (Post 8643034)
hey randy, where you been? have not seen you guys at raceworld.

I always turn the wheel I am checking straight so the camber value is consistent no matter the toe. camber makes its mark when your turning, not so much on a straight away.

HeyJohnny. We have other things goin on to be able to go racing. Birthday one weekend and this past weekend I went to FL for work. Headed to Motorama next weekend. The week after is my wedding anniversary and we are going to the Smokey Mountains. It will be March before we get back to RW unfortunately!!

Thanks for the advice on camber setting. That makes sense on what you say.

Teufel Racing 02-13-2011 02:41 AM

Nebout,

You got schooled? Say it wasn't by Steve W. LOL.