Nitro Buggy recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

RESQNU you have mail
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

First thing is to figure out what kind of support you have.

The best chassis in the class is hard to race if you can't get parts. Also hard to dial in if you don't have someone to help get you pointed in the right direction.

Make a list of what is most best supported and then make your decisions based on that.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

At the track I am going to race at, most run: Mugen, Losi, then RC8b and D8. Maybe a few others. My neighbor that has raced there for 5 years races a Mugen, but previously raced a Losi.

Parts wise, most have to be ordered online. There is some support for the first 3 I mentioned.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Resqnu
Thanks to all for your input. I am currently looking at a few used: Mugen, Losi, D8, and RC8b. I'm just wanting to spend my $ wisely. I would like to be in a used buggy for $400-$500 that is ready for the track. I guess that is why the RTR kits look good, but don't want to have to start replacing low end parts that will not stand up to weekly racing. Sounds like most are recommending a used buggy, then purchase the needed parts (motor, servos and pipe).

Currently, Out of 10 vehicle mains, I place 7th-10th in a main, to 1st-3rd in B main with my SCT. With my B44 I place middle to end, as the B44 guys are very good (few pro drivers). I race in Greensboro and I have only been racing for 2-3 months. But I love it.
The Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR is awesome right out of the box. It may need new servo's as pretty soon. But after that it's very fast. The motor is pretty solid for a RTR and if you put a turbo head button it turns that motor around and is very good. For the price and what you get you cant find a better option considering it comes with a good remote and solid starter box.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

At the track I am going to race at, most run: Mugen, Losi, then RC8b and D8. Maybe a few others. My neighbor that has raced there for 5 years races a Mugen, but previously raced a Losi.
that pretty much decides things for you. Are you going to be traveling/pitting with this guy? The car you can quickest get setup and to speed has the most advantage; than the car you like or may even be the best, but have to figure out things on your own. you have already tasted the A-main, I assume you will want to get there again, take the path with least resistance.

first pick mugen, second losi.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks to all that responded. You all have provided great info. I have narrowed it down to 3, but mostly 2, and will purchase this week. I know I have to make the decision, but your input has been very helpful making the decision. Mugen is leading the way due to my neighbor races one.Here are the 3 not in specific order, you guys thoughts?

1. Mugen MBX6 roller(used) very clean with 3 extra diffs and extra assorted parts $200.

2. RC8B roller (FT) Team driver car with a few moods. No parts $200.

3. Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR, but would sell the DX3s as I use KoPropo Helios.

I am looking at a new Novarossi .21 BF or Alpha Red head engine. Looking to stay under $200 for engine.

Your thoughts
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The Mugen will be the better of those cars assuming it's in good shape.
The Nova .21 BF is a great motor, especially for someone just starting nitro. Alpha makes a good motor too from what I hear, but I've never tried one. I personally run a .21 BF in my buggy and I really like it, especially for the price.
If you want a faster motor, look at the Werks B5. It's a rocket for $200, though probably too much for buggy. I'd go with the B6 over the B5 but it's a little more.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Any recommendations on purchasing a new/used 1/8 scale nitro 4wd buggy. I currently race a Blitz ESE SCT and Team Associated B44 buggy, both electric. I want to try nitro buggy this spring. I know there are many out there to choose from. What would you guys recommend for a nitro newbie to race. I don't want to spend a fortune starting out, but want a good deal for the $. A good driving car with durability is preferred. Thanks for your input.
All the buggys you are looking at are great buggys i personal think that the Mugen buggy is the better of the deals. All of todays buggys are great and can win any race on any given day.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussies1129
just wait this shortly available:
xray 808 2011 model
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...2f71bb6d036ddf
if no then:
mugen mbx6 m-spec
cheers
Is the weight and stuff posted anywhere?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hotbodies D8.....
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks to all that responded. You all have provided great info. I have narrowed it down to 3, but mostly 2, and will purchase this week. I know I have to make the decision, but your input has been very helpful making the decision. Mugen is leading the way due to my neighbor races one.Here are the 3 not in specific order, you guys thoughts?

1. Mugen MBX6 roller(used) very clean with 3 extra diffs and extra assorted parts $200.

2. RC8B roller (FT) Team driver car with a few moods. No parts $200.

3. Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR, but would sell the DX3s as I use KoPropo Helios.

I am looking at a new Novarossi .21 BF or Alpha Red head engine. Looking to stay under $200 for engine.

Your thoughts
Very good choices. For the motor the Nova .21BF is a solid motor. But the motor I would recommend in a Werks B5. and if you can spend an extra $30 then you want to on a motor the Werks B6 is my next choice for that price range. The B6 is a very smooth motor and works very well in a buggy. But the B5 is still a very good motor. And Werks offers great customer service. Many people who are higher ups in Werks look at these forums and are always there to offer support.

If you go with a Novarossi. I recommend talking to Houston on this forum. He is the know all of these motors.

If you go with the Mugen. The chop shops on eBay give you AMAZING deals on parts if your patient. I got a complete diff for $30! All four shocks for $35! And complete radio box for $7! And many many more deals. LOL I could of actually built the vehicle cheaper by buying the parts of eBay that buying a new kit. But like I said you had to be patient. It took a over a month getting these deals. So if your stocking up on spares during the off season this is the way to do it.