Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Under $400 Truggy????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Under $400 Truggy????

I'm looking for a Truggy just to play around with maybe on a backyard track. I'm want somethign that's pretty reliable and has an EASY TO TUNE engine. I'm not going to race seriously so I don't want to replace servos, rims, tires, etc unless they break. I'm looking at the Caster Racing K8T RTR and the Kyosho Inferno ST US Sport 2 RTR they're both around $360. Which one would you guys suggest? I've also read that Thunder Tiger ST1 is a good tough play Truggy but it doesn't handle as good the others. Any other Truggys under $400 that you would suggest?

What about the Himoto RXT1 for $300? I read at another site its not a bad play Truggy but I don't know if it comes with ignitor and bottle. If I have to buy those extra might as well go for one of the others.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

do you have a remote? but then again any kit where you need to add a motor and servos is going to be over budget.

The D8T is 330$ but then you need to add lots of stuff

looked any any used truggys?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Kits-N...duct_info.html

479 for this one..

and 399
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default tt st1

give the thunder tiger a try. the st1 is heavy but tough as nails. and does handle good. i had two before going all losi, now my friend runs both still.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

save yourself headaches, and spend the xtra and get something that will actually act like a real truggy, it gives you the easy starter box, the 2.4ghz radio and the truggy

losi eight-t 2.0 RTR
Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pep_so_dent
I'm looking for a Truggy just to play around with maybe on a backyard track. I'm want somethign that's pretty reliable and has an EASY TO TUNE engine. I'm not going to race seriously so I don't want to replace servos, rims, tires, etc unless they break. I'm looking at the Caster Racing K8T RTR and the Kyosho Inferno ST US Sport 2 RTR they're both around $360. Which one would you guys suggest? I've also read that Thunder Tiger ST1 is a good tough play Truggy but it doesn't handle as good the others. Any other Truggys under $400 that you would suggest?

What about the Himoto RXT1 for $300? I read at another site its not a bad play Truggy but I don't know if it comes with ignitor and bottle. If I have to buy those extra might as well go for one of the others.

Thanks!
This is a problem. Particularly this part:
I'm not going to race seriously so I don't want to replace servos, rims, tires, etc unless they break.
The problem is all the ready to runs come with weak crappy servos. They have to save money somewhere to offer a product at that price point, and that is one of the big areas. WHEN you break a servo (Notice I idn't say IF?) you need to put in a good one, especially on steering.

Also both shaft start (a.k.a. spin start) systems and pull start systems are problems waiting to happen... more so the pull start, but both are crap. You'll be wanting a starterbox... and a non pull/spin start backplate... and different motor mounts...

By the time you bought all that you spent as much as the Losi. The Losi is the best, but the steering servo makes a better throttle servo.

Of the ones you mentioned (lots of groans and bashing will probably come out of this) I'd pick the Caster.

Of all the ones the other folks mentioned besides the Losi I would pick the Jammin or the Caster.

The other RTRs listed are not as good... and harder to get parts for.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

yeah the 8ight-T 2.0 RTR is a good bang for your buck.. the the servo will give out and the 454 is not that easy to tune runs nice but hard to get it to idle mint... but lots better than other RTRs i bet.

it with a 7955 for steering and you will be good to go. when the servo does give out losi will send you another free...
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Soend big at first then little. You buy cheap your spending big all the time to keep it up and going bashing or not. I would say spend on losi 8ight-t 2.0 rtr and replace with better servos and aluminum steering servo horn and your set. Everyone ive seen try to cheat out and go cheap loose every time!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

wrong scale but what about this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...N-T-Truggy-RTR
Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

what about this O'Donnell Z01T

it is 449.99 but you can do three payments of 149.99 plus free shipping.

This truck is very tough and handles great.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ady-Set-Truggy