R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   need help: Mysterious ticking noise (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/465105-need-help-mysterious-ticking-noise.html)

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 10:36 AM

need help: Mysterious ticking noise

OK, lets get this started. i have a ticking noise in my truck when i go full throttle. so i mover the engine cause it sounded like it was the gear mess being to loss. now the car starts, but when i hit the throttle it revs really fast, goes 2 feet, and then dies. any help would be appreciated.

XXX8ight 12-27-2010 10:39 AM

Engine is to lean.... Did the weather change since you ran it last. If it got colder you have to richen the motor up more.

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by XXX8ight (Post 8396174)
Engine is to lean.... Did the weather change since you ran it last. If it got colder you have to richen the motor up more.

i tried that. but now my wheels aren't moving at all. the motor runs fine. i opened everything, nothing as striped, and then still not not moving. I've had this ting 2 days and ive worked on it more then i have run it:cry:

rc_racer1 12-27-2010 02:20 PM

Need more information, you said you've only had it 2 days, are you still breaking it in. How many times have you run it so far.
thing to check, wheel bearings, can cuuse a tick noise, also check your clutch bearings and shoes.
Good luck and hope you have fun with it once you get it figured out, Happy Holidays.

petevette 12-27-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lt. Sarcasm (Post 8396848)
i tried that. but now my wheels aren't moving at all. the motor runs fine. i opened everything, nothing as striped, and then still not not moving. I've had this ting 2 days and ive worked on it more then i have run it:cry:

Check and see if your flywheel is loose. When the problem started was it immediately after some type of dramatic event? Did you crash it hard or something like that?

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 02:38 PM

didn't crash it at all. its a redcat volcano s30. i was happy with it until today. i took it on a normal just warm up run before the second bash. the fist day i had it i broke it in. 1 tank just sitting 1 tank at 25% in circles 2 tanks at 50% and 1 at 100%. yesterday i had a problem starting it. but finally got it started. then this morning i went for the warm up run. and after that its been inside. until 10 minuets ago when i tried again. it seemed promising at first then after 2 minutes the wheels stopped turning.:flaming:

nitroexpress 12-27-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lt. Sarcasm (Post 8396161)
OK, lets get this started. i have a ticking noise in my truck when i go full throttle. so i mover the engine cause it sounded like it was the gear mess being to loss. now the car starts, but when i hit the throttle it revs really fast, goes 2 feet, and then dies. any help would be appreciated.

Hard to tell from the manual, but it looks like you have some sort of two speed tranny (with some plastic gears). Maybe it's stripped out.

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by nitroexpress (Post 8397054)
Hard to tell from the manual, but it looks like you have some sort of two speed tranny (with some plastic gears). Maybe it's stripped out.

no i stripped all of it down nothing was stripped and its only a 1 speed

rc_racer1 12-27-2010 03:04 PM

it's a pull start motor right, turn the motor over by the flywheel from under neath the chassis, should be tight but do able,turn it over a few times and see if you hear the clicking sound. thinking could be one way bearing hanging up, or bushing on the conrod.

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rc_racer1 (Post 8397129)
it's a pull start motor right, turn the motor over by the flywheel from under neath the chassis, should be tight but do able,turn it over a few times and see if you hear the clicking sound. thinking could be one way bearing hanging up, or bushing on the conrod.

you may be right i can here something rattling on the car. what do i do about it?

rc_racer1 12-27-2010 04:36 PM

ok, question. are you pre heating the motor before you start it. using a hair dryer, or heat gun to warm up the motors internals. let the metals expand to where there supposed to be, or are you firing it up COLD.

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 04:39 PM

yeah im starting it cold. is that bad? sorry im new to nitro this is my first nitro car.

Lt. Sarcasm 12-27-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by rc_racer1 (Post 8397524)
ok, question. are you pre heating the motor before you start it. using a hair dryer, or heat gun to warm up the motors internals. let the metals expand to where there supposed to be, or are you firing it up COLD.

ok i preheated the engine with my moms hair drier. and it didn't make any difference. started right up, but didn't move.

Lt. Sarcasm 12-28-2010 04:49 PM

can anyone else help?

Integra 12-28-2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lt. Sarcasm (Post 8397687)
ok i preheated the engine with my moms hair drier. and it didn't make any difference. started right up, but didn't move.

Something is stripped or not connected properly, If the engine revs and the wheels dont turn its drive train or clutch related.....Take it apart Again and make sure everything's the way it should be.