Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
DRIVE SHAFT/CVD PIN REMOVAL TOOL? >

DRIVE SHAFT/CVD PIN REMOVAL TOOL?

DRIVE SHAFT/CVD PIN REMOVAL TOOL?

Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default DRIVE SHAFT/CVD PIN REMOVAL TOOL?

anyone know where I can get a pin removal tool for changing out the pins on my cvd's and ctr drive shafts on my xray 808, hudy is to expensive and innovative designs bone saver has not come in stock for over a month at amain?
thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've had success with a bicycle chain breaker. People have also used motorcycle chain breakers.

you can get something like this in your bike shop for under $10
http://www.scooterpart.net/productim...in_Breaker.jpg

there are motorcycle ones on ebay. Just be sure that the diameter of the chain breaker press pin is smaller than the CVD Pin.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by team2zon View Post
I've had success with a bicycle chain breaker. People have also used motorcycle chain breakers.

there are motorcycle ones on ebay. Just be sure that the diameter of the chain breaker press pin is smaller than the CVD Pin.
hey that should do the job thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by team2zon View Post

have you had success with a chain breaker on xray CVD pins? No disrespect, but I don't think those will work. If it's the type that screws in/out to press the pin out, the pin shatters before it gets pressed out. This type of pin press works fine on CVDs for Losi, AE, etc. but Xray pins don't work with it. At least from my experience after buying two separate pins presses. You need a tool that keeps the pins aligned while you hammer them out. Any pin press that uses impact rather than a screw action to dislodge the pin should work...

The hudy pin press is about $100 but pays for itself in one use. $100 is less than the $130+ you will spend when you try several different chain breaker first and it fails (innovative designs does not work either, even with the new hardened bolts.) Than have to go back and buy the Hudy tool afterwards. You can only afford to do it right the first time... so I'd go with the Hudy
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Ive pressed OOO soo many Xray bones with ZERO issues with my Ebay chain breaker....the pin wont break if you keep it in the housing like its supposed to be, Problem in lies when guys try and press with the pin FULLY extended out of the housing and therefor has no support when applying pressure and there for fails.....Yes I will admit Some of the Xray bone's proved to be tighter then the next but no where near tight enough to break the tool when using it properly.

IMo there's no need to waste 100$ on the Hudy unit when the 45$ unit works just fine.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

$20 clamp on vise from lowes and a center punch, hammer, and socket....
Old 12-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Teccmoney View Post

Equals a great way to Fracture the bone itself and cause problems later on down the road.....A constant Pressure with no hard blows is what you want. On Some brand bones there isn't much material there and to be whacking it with a punch is IMO not a wise idea.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Silly question

Is there no way to simply take a punch and knock the pin out??

Hold the CV in a vice and punch it out??

would be cheaper. Punches are about 8 bucks?

Vice --- Priceless..
Old 12-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teccmoney View Post
+1
Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Equals a great way to Fracture the bone itself and cause problems later on down the road.....A constant Pressure with no hard blows is what you want. On Some brand bones there isn't much material there and to be whacking it with a punch is IMO not a wise idea.
ive done hundreds this method with no problems. i agree that a "tool" for this is better but no need to spend money when you dont have to.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

you spend 20$ for an inadequate tool, Ill spend 40$ on a proper tool....were all happy.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking tools

I suppose it depends upon how many times you expect to do this job??

If it's a 1 or 2 time deal, no need to spend extra money on what I already have. (actually I have both)

Fine.. Send me the part I'll charge you 5 buck to remove all of them and 5 buck to put new ones in..

Hmm. Actually I think I would rather press this item out. otherwise you might flare the end and never be able to get it out.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I just use a 1/8 drift punch and a 1/2 square peice of alum with a 1/8 hole in it ,,, put the drive pin in the hole and hit it with a hammer then use the drift punch to drive it thru ,then install the new pin until it hits the old pin thats in the alum which sets the pin at the right height works great !!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

I have looked at the chain breakers on ebay but its hard to tell if the pin punch is the correct diameter to push the pin thru or can you just push the pin as far as you can go and use the pliers to pull it out from there?
I was going to give this a go?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Old 12-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
you spend 20$ for an inadequate tool, Ill spend 40$ on a proper tool....were all happy.
Inadequate? Ummmm it gets the job done and can be used for more than just for pressing pins.... I have zero issues with this method and haven't had a problem.... Constant pressure is key for pressing the pin in but if you tap it out lightly it doesn't hurt.... It's steel not cardboard. The mugen dog bones can handle it....

Last edited by Teccmoney; 12-05-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.