3.38%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

nitro tires poll round #2 for you to chat about

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
I talked with Gil Losi Jr. at length about belting off-road tires when I was involved with AKA. It's not a new concept as some on-road rubber tires have been belted for over 15 years. Gil has extensively tested belted off-road tires and found that they just don't work. We both had considered what positive benefits may come from belting, and on paper, it sounds like a good idea. But, in practice, it makes the tread less compliant and the tires end up having less traction. We all had the same assumptions that if we could stop the tire from ballooning and keep the tread shape a little more consistent that it should have better traction, but it didn't end up working out that way. Gil Jr. is one of the most thorough and vigilant testers of new ideas that you'll ever meet, and we both wanted to see it work, but it just doesn't. Not in response to this, but as a general observation when we discussed it way back when, he said that it would be a marketing gimmick at best, but that the unbelted tires always work better.
maybe thats why they are making belted and unbelted versions. I dont know. i wouldn't argue with Gil when it comes to innovations. I guess only time will tell. They should be hitting the states in January. I'm still loving the new tread pattern and the stepups/downs. It's all just hype till we get em on the track though. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

anybody remember kyosho x's ?

dialed tires but 5 minutes and they were done they were offered in belted and unbelted , that was about 7-8 years ago
Old 11-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Nice thread

I suppose i can say that cody king or anyone else who is a pro driver would have won the worlds using chinese knock offs as you guys call them as it is the ability of the driver and not the tyre for the pro guy.

If a tyre can knock off sec's off a club racers lap times and be very consistant then thats the tyre you should be looking at and talking about .

We have all this talk about AKA and pro line and many others which are top products but was anyone at the worlds to see ryan mayfield killing the field using j concepts tyres until he had a problem with the rear left shock i know as it happened in front of me .Ryan was actually smashing the others in the field during the race and it wasnt because of his tyres but his ability as a driver .

results for tyres should come from the club racer lowering his lap times not the pro guy who can drive with ready to run hard compound tyres on his car and win .

A tyre is just as good as the individual behind that radio transmitter.

Ps: most high performance tyres out on todays market are neoprene based with a touch of silicon to give it its sticky feature for grip and thats why they dont wear as fast as butyl and natural rubber and the compounds are founded by degree of temperature during process and not this ballony secret recepies that they tell you .How do i know as i am a tyre manufacturer and based in Asia and have some of the best research labs in the world based in Asia working with me government facilities as we say and if they dont know no one knows.

Its all in the process of manufacture nothing else and work by tolerences in heat .

my two cents worth .
Old 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcg33k
There's no question in my mind that AKA is responsible for a quantum shift in tire and mostly insert development, and if they hadn't done so, Pro-Line and others would probably still be happy shipping substandard products to their customers with inserts that can't even last as long as the tires, and that were ridiculously out of balance. Only when AKA bitch-slapped them did they become interested in making a better product,
I have to agree. I'm sorta picky when I glue up my tires and by far, I spend more time prepping pro-line tires than any other. Obviously tires can be made better, AKA and Jconcepts are doing it right now. I just received a set of Jconcepts crosshairs and am VERY impressed with the production quality, a quick wipe with alcohol and they'll be ready to go! No trimming the bead to fit, No grinding the flashing off with a dremel. My vote went to AKA because of their inserts.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I Primary use AKA for their foams best in the business i run other brands proline, VP but I'm really looking forward to sweeps truggy tires
Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
I Primary use AKA for their foams best in the business i run other brands proline, VP but I'm really looking forward to sweeps truggy tires
sweeps rubber is very very good
Old 11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AKA and proline are the ONLY ones I have used that are listed and I voted AKA.
New season coming up and I will be trying JConcepts.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by houston
sweeps rubber is very very good
So are Trogans. LOL.

I had to.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Top 10 chassis should be.

Losi
Kyosho
Hot Bodies/Hara
Mugen
Xray
Serpent
Agama
Associated
O'donnell
Hobao

Also there is Durango and JQ but what hasnt been driven shouldnt be voted.

The order the brands are in arent from best to least just what came from the top of my head.
ok.. this will be our next poll in a week or two... jeremy
Old 11-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by houston
anybody remember kyosho x's ?

dialed tires but 5 minutes and they were done they were offered in belted and unbelted , that was about 7-8 years ago
Houston, you're quite correct, but the X-pattern tires go back to the days of the Turbo Inferno, about 20+ years ago. And yes, Kyosho tires were offered with belts for over 10 years.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by rcg33k
There's no question in my mind that AKA is responsible for a quantum shift in tire and mostly insert development, and if they hadn't done so, Pro-Line and others would probably still be happy shipping substandard products to their customers with inserts that can't even last as long as the tires, and that were ridiculously out of balance. Only when AKA bitch-slapped them did they become interested in making a better product, and in that respect it's still an epic fail. The inserts they came up with to answer AKA is still not nearly as good, and it's optional - not included with the tires. It's for these reasons that I'll never own another Proline product. They took my business for granted for many years and had no interest in continued development until they got kicked in the junk.

As for the survey, I'm sure the result will still be the same, no matter how often VP Pro whines that they weren't included. They're frauds that make knock-off products using Chinese rubber. Nuf said. Flame suit on - I know they farmed most of their "team" drivers (read: sales direct to customers at dealer cost) from these forums, so I'm sure their will be some chapped asses. Truth hurts.

Did I miss any rhetoric? LOL
Did you somehow steal my thoughts about Proline , I think you pretty much covered it all +1!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Originally Posted by Losimoe
Love the Proline calibers. Also love the AKA cityblock. I dont care who wins the poll, as long as i can get the tires that will make me go faster, im happy with it.
100% WRIGHT...
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

I agree with Houston, Sweep's rubber is very good and their truggy tires should ROCK!! My vote goes to Sweep
Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveP
Houston, you're quite correct, but the X-pattern tires go back to the days of the Turbo Inferno, about 20+ years ago. And yes, Kyosho tires were offered with belts for over 10 years.
yea, and there were some in the warehouse a few years ago at $60 a pair... you guys were begging us to take them out and use them
Old 11-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

sweep tires are ok but their rubber is not as good as the AKA stuff. I have tried both and I havent ordered any more sweep tires. On the buggy AKA, Losi Eclipse or sometimes Proline Snipers on the truggy AKA or Proline Calibers. I race a lot and thats what seems to hook up best on most tracks in my area. I am interested in trying the wishbone and suburbs this winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.