Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Tech Champion

Lets be honest with ourselves here...As much as I like my Durango...they aren't a Kyosho or Mugen, or Associated. They don't have the brand recognition that the major brands have. So what draws the customers to the brand. Is it results? It isn't...because if someone wants to base their decision off of results they are going to go with one of the major brands. Regardless of if the car is actually better or not...the big names have the money to field more big drivers so the odds of the results going their way increases. So what is it that sells a brand like Durango? People buy brands like this because it isn't one of the major names AND their designs are innovative and look like they will work.

Stop listening to those who say you should do this more like the Kyosho or that more like a Mugen and you will sell cars...because those people are still going to buy a Kyosho or Mugen even if you make the Durango exactly like them.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ZA_Fourie
Changes I see on the new car is:

No more centre fuelling since tank opening is to the side, and most of the sand/debris entering the car from the front is eliminated.
My car came off the track no more or less dirty than any other car out there. If anything a side opening would be more dirty as it moves the opening closer to the dirt rooster tail coming off of the left front tire rather than right in between them.

The air filter is behind the splashguard and to the side, this should also keep it cleaner for longer. It's also easier to use a bigger filter or filter cover. I've lost 2 engines on the current dnx version due to air filters getting clogged too quickly and then sucking debris in through the sides.
I haven't had any issues with the air filter causing debris to get sucked into the engine...then again I clean and re-oil my air filter between every race weekend. That said the stock air filter is odd and it would be nice to be able to use other air filters besides just the stock one.

The cvd's for the centre driveshaft is a complete new design. The previous design always created problems with either grub screw getting loose or stripping.
I never had issues with the stock ones...but improved ones can't be bad. However this could have been done without a total redesign of the chassis layout.

The clunk in the fuel tank is great.
Great improvement...again not something that needed a chassis layout redesign though.

The pillow ball suspension is easier to adjust the castor and camber with less hop-up parts required to change the castor. It is heavier at the front which is a bonus of you need more steering.
This was definately needed

The battery tray is much better to access and away from the engine and exhaust.
They could have mounted it on the front bumper and it would be easier to access...that doesn't mean it is better.

The throttle linkage and braking system is more direct which is easier to tune and probably less temperamental.
There is still a bellcrank being used...only now it operates both the throttle and the brake instead of just the throttle...that would be less direct.

Overall the car looks somewhat like most of the current PBS cars on the market but this is not a bad thing. TD is known for the durability of the cars and the quality is also top notch.

But the question that still remains:"What sets it apart from the others?" Maybe if the post the final photos on the durango website it will be answered.
I hope so...but from what I've seen already I'm sticking with my old V1/V2.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My first weekend with the DNX and i was impressed to say the least! Over all TG with a winning car for the main, I over adjusted the brakes giving me a difficult car to run in the main. Overall i am pleased considering i was able to tq and/or win with my DEX408 and DESC410 the proof is in the results. Great cars across the board very different from other brands but still able to compete at the highest level! Ryan Lutz is an impressive driver to race with they spent the money well by brining in less people but with more talent. Proof shows in the results. I was hesitant at first to go with this brand but after my DEX210 I knew that the right decision was made. Best of luck to all my fellow TD racers out there
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What setup did you run on your DNX this past weekend? Good to hear you liked the car. Hoping to run mine in a week or so at a points race.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Both cars making it to the A-main at Neo14 , about to kick off. Lets see how it turns out.....
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Looks like the drivers of the new cars had a good race there. I plan on getting the good out of my DNX and then when these hit the shelves look at them then. Had the new Durango and the new RC8 at the Neo event. Will be some good new buggies coming out it looks.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
Come on man, you can do better than that
Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobamiester
Come on man, you can do better than that
That's called biting your tongue! Lol! you know it's some sensitive grown men who drive these toys!! I still post the question toba, are his results any better with the overhaul? Or was the 1st design that difficult to setup for the average racer? I'm asking cause i didn't own a v1 or 2.........
Old 04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran my car out of the box. the center diff was a little light but overall i was pretty impressed! its a drivers car very planted and very predictable! i like the steering response especially it gave me alotta confidence while running on a full track. I was tipped off by Lutz about some set up tips and the best tip was with the droop. I have been running very little droop on my DEX408V2 for couple of months so i tried it on the DNX and it helps the driver maintain control of the vehicle and keeps it planted to the track surface! I am gonna do some more testing thoughput the week i will def give everyone a heads up on my results
Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

The new Durango prototype has some interesting features that even Mr XRAY Hudy himself couldn't resist looking at in depth at NEO 14.
Theres a video of it on youtube.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Link to video please. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, Video Please!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorry cant post it!

it says I haven't made enough posts!

if you search Chris durango prototype it should come up with

Chris' Team Durango prototype @ NEO14
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aANSwbV0xX0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.