Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Hello guys,
I just want to chime in that there is a lot more than meets the eye on this buggy. The diffs are actually easier access! They aren't in the clamshells anymore but they are removed without removing the arms or bulkheads or suspension hangers or even front bumper!

Also the throttle servo is attached to upper center diff. So when you remove the 4screws for the center diff the throttle servo goes with it so you never mess with the linkage or your brake feel!

Also sure it uses a pbs front end. In testing this is what we found to work best on the widest variety of conditions and surfaces. But it's not a copy. They're are geometry changes and many other features that just can't be appreciated from a few photos.

Hope you guys will look a little deeper and see the thought and design that went into this buggy. It will look much better in production as well as we still have many handmade parts.
Will the new platform make it to the e-car at some point?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MX304
Will the new platform make it to the e-car at some point?
Yes
Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If looks mattered that much, Tekno would be out of business. Likewise, I don't see too many people complaining their Kyosho or Associated look like the 6+ year old designs they've evolved from.

All that really matters is how fast this car makes a majority of drivers versus other options, and at what price point. My .02
Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Ah I love this thread. Always the target for such speculation and its like a magnet for people who love view their opinions...(so here is mine )
I'l just waiting for that 'RRR Revo' member to come on here and spread his special joy

I believe a theme Team Durango have been pushing is Less Wrenching, More racing. The Gen1 car was good but tough to get it to handle for your average club racer (I'm in that category btw). And also the car takes some work to get it to handle on many of the beat-up rutty/bumpy tracks, especially over in the US.
Its pretty easy to see from results at local races and national levels, that a wider, more neutral design yields better results for a lot of us, from the minute the car is put on the track with a stock setup.

Innovative design will sell a car, but if it doesn't yield results on the track for the majority of us, then it won't sell.

TD will always have innovative designs but in the end its a business and they are there to make money (i.e stay in business) as well as become the best in the Hobby by winning races (which equals great marketing and more sales).
They've been in the business a lot longer than many of us have (myself included), but recent years they've pushed out cars in almost all popular categories and become more known in the industry.
They have to find a balance and this car looks like this its targeted at finding that balance of design and easy of use.

I'm done ranting. Happy Easter!

Last edited by tobamiester; 04-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr B
If thats directed at me... Read my post again. I never said anything about better, or worse. I just said there is no longer anything that makes it different.

If that was the issue, then we wouldn't have this thread. For the last couple of years Durango has proven their design over and over. This design might very well be just as good, and cheaper to make, or what ever the reason is to go back to the same design as everyone else is using. But it also means it no longer stands out, and as a result some buyers, like me, wont see it like something they want to own, over anything else. Lets put it like this. If i could have motivated it, i would have bought the DNX408 as my new buggy during the last few years. The only reason haven't is simply coz i already have 4 buggies, and none of them have been sold, or crashed that badly that it wasn't worth repairing. If i during the next year end up having a reason to buy a buggy, i'll try and find one, but the new one... no, from what we are presented with so far, they can keep it. Even if Lutz smashes all opposition he faces with the new buggy.

B!
I've got to agree with Mr. B here...I own the V1 buggy with some V2 updates and the reason I bought it in the first place was the innovative chassis design that was different from the others.

Originally Posted by tobamiester
Ah I love this thread. Always the target for such speculation and its like a magnet for people who love view their opinions...(so here is mine )
I'l just waiting for that 'RRR Revo' member to come on here and spread his special joy

I believe a theme Team Durango have been pushing is Less Wrenching, More racing. The Gen1 car was good but tough to get it to handle for your average club racer (I'm in that category btw). And also the car takes some work to get it to handle on many of the beat up rutty/bumpy tracks, especially over in the US.
Its pretty easy to see from results at local races and national levels, that a wider, more neutral design yields better results for a lot of us, from the minute the car is put on the track with a stock setup.

Innovative design will sell a car, but if it doesn't yield results on the track for the majority of us, then it won't sell.

TD will always have innovative designs but in the end its a business and they are there to make money (i.e stay in business) as well as become the best in the Hobby by winning races (which equals great marketing and more sales).
They've been in the business a lot longer than many of us have (myself included), but recent years they've pushed out cars in almost all popular categories and become more known in the industry.
They have to find a balance and this car looks like this its targeted at finding that balance of design and easy of use.

Problem is...the shortcomings of the car were all in the suspension geometry. That could have been changed without a major overhaul of the rest of the car. This new version takes away one of the things I loved most about the original design...width. The original car was designed with everything much closer to the centerline of the car. This new one just looks wide, bulky, and ugly like all the others out there. The centerline tank lid and lowered CG by laying the servos down also were a big reason why I decided to go with Durango. The only thing I see left from the original design that drew me to the car is the equal length center drive shafts. I for one will not be buying the new car when it comes out. If they come up with a way to fit the new suspension geometry on to the old car I would do that.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

" The diffs are actually easier access! They aren't in the clamshells anymore but they are removed without removing the arms or bulkheads or suspension hangers or even front bumper! "

..then the diffs come out by a lid below the chassis !?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I've got to agree with Mr. B here...I own the V1 buggy with some V2 updates and the reason I bought it in the first place was the innovative chassis design that was different from the others.

Problem is...the shortcomings of the car were all in the suspension geometry. That could have been changed without a major overhaul of the rest of the car. This new version takes away one of the things I loved most about the original design...width. The original car was designed with everything much closer to the centerline of the car. This new one just looks wide, bulky, and ugly like all the others out there. The centerline tank lid and lowered CG by laying the servos down also were a big reason why I decided to go with Durango. The only thing I see left from the original design that drew me to the car is the equal length center drive shafts. I for one will not be buying the new car when it comes out. If they come up with a way to fit the new suspension geometry on to the old car I would do that.
+1 - as I was afraid of, its now looks just like everything else on the market (read mugen), even down to a cab-forward body.

Geometry changes or not, it may drive better/be more stable, but it has definitely lost that trademark TD innovation/character/design flair that I enjoyed and drew me towatds the dnx408 v1/2. Safe to say I wont be purchasing one regardless if it drives better or is easier to wrench.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm also a bit disappointed they moved away from their signature front/rear diff system, it was what attracted me to the car in the first place and it made doing maintenance on the car a breeze.
I do like that the center diff is more accessible though.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anybody know which Durango lutz ran at the NEO 11? Because then he actually TQd 2rounds n ran the 1st 13lap run of the event! Why switch from a car that was clearly working
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tobamiester

I believe a theme Team Durango have been pushing is Less Wrenching, More racing. The Gen1 car was good but tough to get it to handle for your average club racer (I'm in that category btw). And also the car takes some work to get it to handle on many of the beat-up rutty/bumpy tracks, especially over in the US.

Hahaha you knew I would drop in here tobameister! Not going to stay for long tho got in trouble in here saying what you guys r saying 2yrs ago
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
Anybody know which Durango lutz ran at the NEO 11? Because then he actually TQd 2rounds n ran the 1st 13lap run of the event! Why switch from a car that was clearly working
He ran a 408 v2, no major custom made parts (bar some anodized pink bits and possibly the latter released white and silver series springs), from memory he did same at neo12

He ran the proto at the 2012 worlds
Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Not to be a hater or anything, this is from genuine interest. I find it odd how they just came out with the dex408 v2 which Mr. Lutz does very well with yet a nitrp is around the corner and he does equally well with both cars against pretty much the same competition.

I havent even driven one of these but still.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

We'll I am excited to run my dnx408 this racing season. Starting with the 12 nats setup as my starting spot. The spring combo on that setup is much stiffer then the stock setup. Going to be a fun summer.

Rcboy- planning on the Futaba this year. Been a couple years since I have been.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcboy1
Not to be a hater or anything, this is from genuine interest. I find it odd how they just came out with the dex408 v2 which Mr. Lutz does very well with yet a nitrp is around the corner and he does equally well with both cars against pretty much the same competition.

I havent even driven one of these but still.
Yeah......this will be my last post in Durango thread ever! Cause I know I will never run a DNX! (Don't wanna get suspended again). lol But I'm still scratching my head about this.........his results didn't improve with the frankenbuggy And all you guys did was piss off half of your devoted group! By making the car look n drive like everything else on the market! I'm telling u I was inches from pulling the trigger on a DNX years ago! That 1st buggy was n still is thee most beautiful 1/8 buggy ever n not like anything else!!........n it hurt to see that car flushed! Lutz at neo 11 was running a v2 correct? Those cars were almost exactly what he's running against now! N he was giving them the business!! Mug same tki same lightning HB same as d812! Why overhaul the nitro v2 if it was a winner! But still run it in E form?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New vs older version..

Even though the new design has many similarities to other cars I like most of the changes. I would just like to see how the front and rear differentials can be removed with only 4 screws. Maybe by removing the 4 screws from below that keeps the differentials and bulk heads in place.

Changes I see on the new car is:

No more centre fuelling since tank opening is to the side, and most of the sand/debris entering the car from the front is eliminated.

The air filter is behind the splashguard and to the side, this should also keep it cleaner for longer. It's also easier to use a bigger filter or filter cover. I've lost 2 engines on the current dnx version due to air filters getting clogged too quickly and then sucking debris in through the sides.

The cvd's for the centre driveshaft is a complete new design. The previous design always created problems with either grub screw getting loose or stripping.

The clunk in the fuel tank is great.

The pillow ball suspension is easier to adjust the castor and camber with less hop-up parts required to change the castor. It is heavier at the front which is a bonus of you need more steering.

The battery tray is much better to access and away from the engine and exhaust.

The throttle linkage and braking system is more direct which is easier to tune and probably less temperamental.

Overall the car looks somewhat like most of the current PBS cars on the market but this is not a bad thing. TD is known for the durability of the cars and the quality is also top notch.

But the question that still remains:"What sets it apart from the others?" Maybe if the post the final photos on the durango website it will be answered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.