Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 AM
  #9841  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
fast-on-dirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ekt
The update bag #TD290014 contains all the parts to upgrade to the v2.
The buggy is quite solid, most of the option parts are just weight savings.
Thanks for the part # that will save a bunch of time. I've noticed not very many are running the 16mm shocks is that just do to price or is it not advancing anyone to do so?
fast-on-dirt is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 PM
  #9842  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Originally Posted by Jeff Werner
Just got my buggy and noticed it has a ton of toe in at full droop and then at compression a ton of toe out. Is this something that is normal with the DNX? New to the buggy and it just does not look right to me.

Thanks
I have never seen much bump steer on an 8th durango car as the steering assembly is at the same angle as the chassis kick up which is ment to help stop bump steer. i havent had to correct bump steer in 8th TD but have in 10th!

maybe take a picture of your car at full drop and when compressed and maybe one of the steering assembly incase we can spot something that is wrong!
av4625 is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
  #9843  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Jeff Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Here are some pics of the car. It is new to me as I got it used. First pic is the full droop and the second is compression of the front end. Camber is a little off I can see as well but the amount of toe in and out concerns me.
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-image.jpg  
Jeff Werner is online now  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:39 PM
  #9844  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Jeff Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Compressed front end.
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-image.jpg  
Jeff Werner is online now  
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 PM
  #9845  
Tech Master
 
Dino_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,176
Default

Originally Posted by Jeff Werner
Compressed front end.
Thats an easy one. You 10 or 14 Caster blocks are reversed. You hardly have any caster. Its almost pointing straight up. Switch left to right. and right to left and check again.
Dino_D is offline  
Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 AM
  #9846  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Jeff Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Great catch. That was the issue. Thanks for the help and going easy on a DNX408 rookie. Things look right now.....as they should.
Jeff Werner is online now  
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM
  #9847  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 78
Default New(s) Durango ??

Why would they discontinue the dnx408v2 without releasing a never chassis first? Are they planning to continue with nitro 1/8??

I'm in the market for a new chassis and if TD doesn't release some news (ANY NEWS) soon, then I fear that I would have to cross-over to the dark side. I would hate to do this since the durango is my favourite car to work on and I have alot of spares, but not all the spares are available on Amain and Tower hobbies which is problem...
ZA_Fourie is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 AM
  #9848  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 78
Default Lutz's DNX408v2...

Here's picture from the team durango website. See http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...v2-to-victory/

Anyways the car on the top is the Nitro which he's currently racing and you will see the changes to the front suspension, rear suspension and servos setup... It is a completely different car!

But when will the rest of the fans get a chance to buy it!?
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-ryan-stack-001.jpg  
ZA_Fourie is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
  #9849  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 78
Default More Lutz dnx408

Here are another photo with more photos at the link:
http://events.redrc.net/2014/02/chas...s-ryan-lutz-2/

I like the layout and design of the new chassis, however I hope TD will be able to stay with the current ease of front and rear diff access. This will be the determining factor for me because it sets it aside from the other pillow ball setups on the market which is currently availble and performs well.

Also a clunk style tank will also be helpfull. Maybe we could give TD some pointers while we are awaiting the new model to be released!?
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-redrc-lutz-dnx408.jpg  
ZA_Fourie is offline  
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
  #9850  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (31)
 
wombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 955
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Don't get your knickers in a knot just yet.

Lutz posted on FB this morning that he will finally be running a pre-production version of the new TD 1/8 nitro buggy (v3?) at Neobuggy coming up shortly.

Which means that the general public release shouldn't be that far away at all given that he (and other team drivers) having been running 408 prototype versions in various guises since the 2012 worlds.

It's been that long that most people (including myself) have lost interest in the anticipation of a new buggy which is a shame - and the misconception/attitude of a lot of people (particularly on this forum) needing to have the latest and greatest product out there. I've pretty much lost interest in RC all together actually despite holding onto to a bunch of mainly new cars and parts in the hope I regain interest at some point and not lose a crap-load of money by on-selling all the gear to RC-tech vultures! .

Not that there is anything wrong with the DNX408 (especially in v2 form which corrected some of the shortcomings of the v1), which I think is still a great uniquely engineered and beautifully crafted buggy (despite mixed views/opinions of various people over the years particularly when it came to the sharp (twitchy) handling. It is really the only buggy in the past 5 years which stepped up and out of the generic mould of 1/8 buggies and did not look like or tried to imitate anything else on the market......

But I think this will now change with the imminent release of the new (v3) buggy, and I'm anticipating that its going to look/be designed more like the current crop of buggies coming out from other manufacturers, possibly with a PBS style front end, side by side stand-up servos (like a losi) and more than likely a wide chassis which is the current must-have fad. It will be 'a pinch of this from X company and a pinch of that from Y company'.

Let's face it, the benchmark other companies try to compete with are Kyosho and Mugen, and frankly a lot of the buggies which have come out in the past year or two are just trying to imitate some of the characteristics of these two company's designs (think JQ, Sworkz, etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for change/innovation, but I think the new TD buggy is going to lose some of that beautiful character/design in the new buggy and just look a lot more like one of the current crop of imitators out there in the chase of that consumer market segment $ - time will tell, and will be interesting to see photos from Neo of Lutz's new buggy.

Last edited by wombat; 04-15-2014 at 03:07 PM.
wombat is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
  #9851  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 423
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I hope the v3 keeps the chassis design of the v2, i love the slim look.
Silo is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM
  #9852  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 390
Default

Originally Posted by Dino_D
Thats an easy one. You 10 or 14 Caster blocks are reversed. You hardly have any caster. Its almost pointing straight up. Switch left to right. and right to left and check again.
Great spot!!!! Wouldnt have seen that was studying the pictures and couldnt see anything wrong!!!! nice 1!

Glad its better now!
av4625 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 AM
  #9853  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 78
Default

Originally Posted by Silo
I hope the v3 keeps the chassis design of the v2, i love the slim look.
I agree, the slim look is different from most other cars on the market and it's easier to dial the twitchiness out of a car than to dial more steering into a car.
ZA_Fourie is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 AM
  #9854  
Tech Master
 
Dino_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,176
Default

Originally Posted by av4625
Great spot!!!! Wouldnt have seen that was studying the pictures and couldnt see anything wrong!!!! nice 1!

Glad its better now!
Actually, the only reason I know that is cause my teammate did the same mistake and had massive toe change during suspension travel, so when he stated it, without looking at the picture, I kinda had that in mind, and when looking at the picture it confirms it, by looking at the caster block pointing almost straight up.
Dino_D is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM
  #9855  
Tech Master
 
Dino_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,176
Default

Originally Posted by wombat
Don't get your knickers in a knot just yet.

Lutz posted on FB this morning that he will finally be running a pre-production version of the new TD 1/8 nitro buggy (v3?) at Neobuggy coming up shortly.

Which means that the general public release shouldn't be that far away at all given that he (and other team drivers) having been running 408 prototype versions in various guises since the 2012 worlds.

It's been that long that most people (including myself) have lost interest in the anticipation of a new buggy which is a shame - and the misconception/attitude of a lot of people (particularly on this forum) needing to have the latest and greatest product out there. I've pretty much lost interest in RC all together actually despite holding onto to a bunch of mainly new cars and parts in the hope I regain interest at some point and not lose a crap-load of money by on-selling all the gear to RC-tech vultures! .

Not that there is anything wrong with the DNX408 (especially in v2 form which corrected some of the shortcomings of the v1), which I think is still a great uniquely engineered and beautifully crafted buggy (despite mixed views/opinions of various people over the years particularly when it came to the sharp (twitchy) handling. It is really the only buggy in the past 5 years which stepped up and out of the generic mould of 1/8 buggies and did not look like or tried to imitate anything else on the market......

But I think this will now change with the imminent release of the new (v3) buggy, and I'm anticipating that its going to look/be designed more like the current crop of buggies coming out from other manufacturers, possibly with a PBS style front end, side by side stand-up servos (like a losi) and more than likely a wide chassis which is the current must-have fad. It will be 'a pinch of this from X company and a pinch of that from Y company'.

Let's face it, the benchmark other companies try to compete with are Kyosho and Mugen, and frankly a lot of the buggies which have come out in the past year or two are just trying to imitate some of the characteristics of these two company's designs (think JQ, Sworkz, etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for change/innovation, but I think the new TD buggy is going to lose some of that beautiful character/design in the new buggy and just look a lot more like one of the current crop of imitators out there in the chase of that consumer market segment $ - time will tell, and will be interesting to see photos from Neo of Lutz's new buggy.
I am curious to see what is planned as well. As the prototypes they were testing was using Pivotball front, and it will be a radical departure from the DEX408v2. I can't see them having 2 radically different cars for electric and nitro. Most companies try to share as many components between the nitro and electric platforms. Maybe perhaps keep the DEX408v2 rear end and continue testing a different front end. But for sure they will make changes to the inboard component layout being hopefully more traditional as that servo under the gearbox and near the motor didn't allow the servo to breath that well.
Dino_D is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.