Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 408 Issues?

I'm getting back into buggies after a couples years away. And there are a few more choices out there now. One that caught my eye was the 408. And then saw that Lutz signed with em. Which really got my interest. But I started doing some research. And found a good bit of negative chatter on the web. Stuff like the factory cars are half Kyosho parts. Because of durability issues. One guy said he was gonna quit RC over this chassis he had dumped a grand in. This started getting me worried. So for all of you guys that have run it for a while. Give me the straight up truth on what are issues. And how to fix em. Issues that can be fixed for a moderate amount do not scare me. Tweaking/modding is part of the appeal of all this for me. I not not looking for a bunch of fanboy BS. Just the facts. Budget is not a issue. I can buy any kit out there. Except Kyosho just because I refuse to pay that much. Plus it looks dated with that massive chassis. The cars I have run in the past are HB D8,MBX6 and last was a 808. All of these had things I liked about em. I think my fav was the 808. Plus it NEVER broke on me. How would the 408 compare to these?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

First off, i don't have a 408. Heck, i don't anything from the brand.

Originally Posted by JonnyW
But I started doing some research. And found a good bit of negative chatter on the web. Stuff like the factory cars are half Kyosho parts. Because of durability issues.
Actually, i've only heard they run other brand parts on the prototype to try out different geometry. Nothing about durability. this would sort of support those claiming the durango is as durable as it gets:
Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
No kidding. My friend flipped his Durango over at the end of the straight and no one called it. Here I come at full speed in my MP9 and hit him. That impact broke my front right lower suspension arm, bent the hinge pin, broke the shock mount screw, flexed my chassis enough to bend my rear center drive shaft. I had to drop out of the race. The turn marshal flipped his Durango over and he kept going. Later in the pits, I checked out his Durango and it sustained no damage. WTF
Of course, depending on how you impact the flipped car, forces will transfer in different ways, and, for example, if you hit it head to head, or, head to rear, the chassi plate flexing will absorb most of it, leaving whoever has the stiffer chassi in a better condition. Hitting ever so slightly of center making more of the force focos on stuff like the hinges, and pins, leaves you with a very different damage result, even if the two collisions would look pretty much identical until the smoke settles.

One guy said he was gonna quit RC over this chassis he had dumped a grand in. This started getting me worried.
Your sure he's quitting over the chassi, and not for the fact he cant drive in a straight-line, with a car built as a ruler? No, sorry, i don't mean to be a total jack ass, what i mean is, if someone expects to get noticeably better by throwing cash on their chassi, then they are going to disappointed, regardless of what chassi they use as a foundation. I use a cheap Protech Enigma, race it on my own in sandpits, throw it 8-10 meters up in the air, (yeah, i'm on of those goofs) and land it with a resounding "thud", floor it, and of it goes in a cloud of sand. Why it works? Practice. I suck at a track, but i've got a lot of practice when it comes to planting it on the ground after big air. I'm willing to bet that i wouldn't last 5 minutes on your local track, after which i'd have a full front suspension to rebuild, and after sending the racer spinning & tumbling down the track, i'd probably have to do the same with the rear end as well. You cant buy skills, i should know, i don't have any.

So for all of you guys that have run it for a while. Give me the straight up truth on what are issues.
As far as i know, there is no issues.

Tweaking/modding is part of the appeal of all this for me.
There is a lot of mods, and there is loads of information about em, not only on this forum.

I'm guessing most, if not all of what you want to know is in this thread, but i to would be a bit reluctant to try and dig it out on my own. However, i doubt anyone is going to spoon-feed tweaks & mods to you, mostly since your needs change with track, and driving style.
B!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There is a lot of good information on the Team Durango site about some of the mods:
http://www.team-durango.com/in-the-pits.php?car_id=5

Another good resource is Ryan Lutz' website: www.lutzinator.com

The car is very durable and like Mr B indicated, the parts from other brands are mostly used on the prototype car to test new stuff to continue the development of the car. It has nothing to do with the durability or that the car is bad, but Team Durango keeps pushing the limit and wants to stay ahead with development.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

I'm getting back into buggies after a couples years away. And there are a few more choices out there now. One that caught my eye was the 408. And then saw that Lutz signed with em. Which really got my interest. But I started doing some research. And found a good bit of negative chatter on the web. Stuff like the factory cars are half Kyosho parts. Because of durability issues. One guy said he was gonna quit RC over this chassis he had dumped a grand in. This started getting me worried. So for all of you guys that have run it for a while. Give me the straight up truth on what are issues. And how to fix em. Issues that can be fixed for a moderate amount do not scare me. Tweaking/modding is part of the appeal of all this for me. I not not looking for a bunch of fanboy BS. Just the facts. Budget is not a issue. I can buy any kit out there. Except Kyosho just because I refuse to pay that much. Plus it looks dated with that massive chassis. The cars I have run in the past are HB D8,MBX6 and last was a 808. All of these had things I liked about em. I think my fav was the 808. Plus it NEVER broke on me. How would the 408 compare to these?
Dunno wat they are talking about lol 408 is one of the most durable cars out there, they have K parts for handling! Kyosho nower near as durable my friend has one, handles awesome tho! HB also has a wide chassis along with AE and sort of Mugen so must work lol, i hav no rear issues i run the rear shocks on the rear and i also run the truggy rear tower with the new wishbones cause i like that! i also run battery up front like everyone else, i also run the 2mm rear mod!, wat issues is there? lol
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thats what I was wanting to hear. These cars look very well thought out. And built very well. I didn't think they were junk if Ryan signed on(10yrs?). I have great respect for him as a driver and person. He helped me at PNB a few years back. TD has a good rep for thier product and the sport. I kinda tuned out from the sport. In a effort to keep me from having withdrawls. I was suprised at all the new cars in the last 3 years. Two of the three cars I am tossing around are new. I am torn between the TD,Serpent and my old fav Xray.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

ut I started doing some research. And found a good bit of negative chatter on the web. Stuff like the factory cars are half Kyosho parts. Because of durability issues. One guy said he was gonna quit RC over this chassis he had dumped a grand in. This started getting me worried. So for all of you guys that have run it for a while. Give me the straight up truth on what are issues. And how to fix em. Issues that can be fixed for a moderate amount do not scare me. Tweaking/modding is part of the appeal of all this for me. I not not looking for a bunch of fanboy BS. Just the facts. Budget is not a issue. I can buy any kit out there. Except Kyosho just because I refuse to pay that much. Plus it looks dated with that massive chassis. The cars I have run in the past are HB D8,MBX6 and last was a 808. All of these had things I liked about em. I think my fav was the 808. Plus it NEVER broke on me. How would the 408 compare to these?

Here is my take. When I first was deciding on getting a 8th scale buggy, I also wasn't sure which car to buy. Sure there was Kyosho, but pricey. Losi and AE were also popular. Xray was known for quality and performance. And Mugen was a car that was easy to drive in any conditions. Sure there was serpent, but their original designer left and made durango. So after checking on local parts availability and price on replacements parts, my choice was clear.

Parts availability should be good as it is distributed by Great Planes. I can order a part from my local hobby shop on Monday and they will have it by Friday for me. Pricing for parts for this car is very good. It's similar to the cost of a 1/10th car. Springs are about half the price of a mugen or Kyosho springs, along with other parts like CVD etc.

I bought a bunch of spare anticipating I would need replacements parts. Surprisingly enough, I really didn't go thru much parts. So thru the whole season, I had a few bent front hinge pins (until I switched to the heavy duty Front/Rear Suspension Bracket), worn out the CVD pins on the center shafts ($3 replacement), rear wing mount, and some bearings (which is normal for any season of racing). I never broke the car during a race. There were some newbies driving the DNX and I have seen them fly off 10ft jumps off the track and into the corn fields, tumbling into the fence, and taking all sorts of abuse and it just kept on working. However, I did suggest to them to upgrade to the HD suspension holders, as they were bending front pins as well after some crazy heavy impacts. Other than that, the car is like a tank.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

when I drove the 408 I never had issues with durability its more of a handling issue with me I tried the 2 mm mod, shock mod kyosho springs etc but for my driving style I couldnt handle the loose rear end made the switch to hong nor and it was night and day difference. I still follow the development of the car and looking forward for the next version so ggod luck if you decide to get it I would compare the driving style to a losi if this helps
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello folks

heres mine

Somebody know what cwhat can i put over the exhaust or body to not burn the body in the exhaust exit?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Interesting SVX, Dont see those everyday, That's for sure.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use heat sheild tape. Found at any auto parts store. I was looking at getting that same wrap for my dnx. Looks great, think I will order it now
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcaddict02
I use heat sheild tape. Found at any auto parts store. I was looking at getting that same wrap for my dnx. Looks great, think I will order it now
tks champz

i will order one

Lee from rev-rc (mine body) is a great man, GREAT quality!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen
tks champz

i will order one

Lee from rev-rc (mine body) is a great man, GREAT quality!!!
This is what I use.http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...Term=Cool+tape
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcaddict02
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

So guys I got my DNX built up threw my os speed and 2060 pipe on it and well I'm a neat freak with everything. What manifolds are you guys running on these? Mine doesn't fit the way I would like it to. Any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RevoRacer50
So guys I got my DNX built up threw my os speed and 2060 pipe on it and well I'm a neat freak with everything. What manifolds are you guys running on these? Mine doesn't fit the way I would like it to. Any suggestions?
Running OS, you want the mugen manifold, makes for a tighter fit http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...d-Ninja-C-Type

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.