Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sirio76
if you are enjoying this buggy so much, why are you thinking about switching platform?

You really think that switching car will make you a better driver? good luck
Well, I just recently got the buggy and I like the overall design and layout. If it isn't able to perform and requires a complete redesign (seems that way with the recent statements) then I'll consider switching platforms.

Switching cars will not make me a better driver, I know that. I simply want a car that will allow me to realize the highest limits of my driving. I don't want the car to hold me back.

I'm not going to give up on this platform unless I find that it can't do what I need it to do (or if I drive another car that blows me away). I have a ton of tuning and tweaking to do before that happens.

I realize that progress in design happens quickly. It seems like Durango gave up on much of the initial design of the DNX408 rather quickly though which is why you notice my discontent.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poinas2
So you are just faster writer than reader ?
Just asking a question, isn't that what the forum is for?

No do a search is not always an option, did one and didn't come up.

Maybe you can tell me what page of the 560 its on in this thread

I'd still like to know what the pros/cons are of running them behind the shock tower please.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McD44
Well, I just recently got the buggy and I like the overall design and layout. If it isn't able to perform and requires a complete redesign (seems that way with the recent statements) then I'll consider switching platforms.

Switching cars will not make me a better driver, I know that. I simply want a car that will allow me to realize the highest limits of my driving. I don't want the car to hold me back.

I'm not going to give up on this platform unless I find that it can't do what I need it to do (or if I drive another car that blows me away). I have a ton of tuning and tweaking to do before that happens.

I realize that progress in design happens quickly. It seems like Durango gave up on much of the initial design of the DNX408 rather quickly though which is why you notice my discontent.
Different designs fit different driving styles. Like others have said, Ryan was on fire with his at the ROAR Nats until the pit lane crash with Maifield. Every manufacture is trying to copy a Kyosho in some form or another. The question is, does that platform fit your driving style. In addition, I would strongly suggest using team driver setups as a starting point. Then make adjustments to the vehicle so it feels better for you.

I have a kyosho on order to try, but I am not selling my durango. Learning to drive a vehicle and get a feel for it can be more important than some setup changes. If we gave a radio shack car to most of the top 20 guys in the world, they could make it look good. I think the accurate statement should be if I am not able to perform with the car then a switch may be in order.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EvanAZ

I'd still like to know what the pros/cons are of running them behind the shock tower please.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/10393296-post7483.html
Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

I know seriously, tough crowd on this forum. People need to chill a little.

Here is a pic from Ryan's blog to backup the post jmack just posted:
Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you're running the stock tower flip that too. You'll need longer screws for the top holes on the wing mount
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

If you're running the stock tower flip that too. You'll need longer screws for the top holes on the wing mount
+1 yup, worth mentioning, did the same.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Nice detailed pic, so what are the advantages?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Nice detailed pic, so what are the advantages?
The link I referenced above the pic says it was thought to help in rough bumps by shifting weight to the rear, but Ryan does not think that is the case with this car.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmackani
The link I referenced above the pic says it was thought to help in rough bumps by shifting weight to the rear, but Ryan does not think that is the case with this car.
Thanks jmackani, and tobamiester.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chirivita
That i didn't know, thanks for the info. They don't seem longer to me but it would be really hard to tell from pictures.

Hupo is definitely not racing...bummer
i think they are longer because the suspension hangers are shorter which means they need to be longer to get track width
Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Chassis setup has a lot to do with performance and how easy it is to drive. Regardless what platform you choose, choosing the wrong tires, suspension oils, diffs, etc will impact the performance of the car.

Also, drivers have different driving styles, so certain setups may or may not suit you. If the car doesn't work for you, maybe it isn't the car itself, but rather that you haven't found a setup that suits you. To say that Brand A car as a lot of steering or way too loose in the rear. It's cause you haven't spent enough time or adjusting to get the right setup.

I will admit, the DNX / DEX is a little tail happy, but extending the wheelbase, changing to a lighter rear sway, using the 2mm roll center mod, moving the shocks to the rear of the tower will all help to gain back the stability in the car.

Speaking of the general R/C population - I doubt most of us will hardly ever reach a point where a certain competition grade buggy platform has limitations that can hinder our performance. For example, the difference of a car using a pivot ball or c-hub front suspension.

So for you to realize the highest limits of your driving - the best way is a lot of practice and testing setups until you get the car where you feel very comfortable with it.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dino_D
Chassis setup has a lot to do with performance and how easy it is to drive. Regardless what platform you choose, choosing the wrong tires, suspension oils, diffs, etc will impact the performance of the car.

Also, drivers have different driving styles, so certain setups may or may not suit you. If the car doesn't work for you, maybe it isn't the car itself, but rather that you haven't found a setup that suits you. To say that Brand A car as a lot of steering or way too loose in the rear. It's cause you haven't spent enough time or adjusting to get the right setup.

I will admit, the DNX / DEX is a little tail happy, but extending the wheelbase, changing to a lighter rear sway, using the 2mm roll center mod, moving the shocks to the rear of the tower will all help to gain back the stability in the car.

Speaking of the general R/C population - I doubt most of us will hardly ever reach a point where a certain competition grade buggy platform has limitations that can hinder our performance. For example, the difference of a car using a pivot ball or c-hub front suspension.

So for you to realize the highest limits of your driving - the best way is a lot of practice and testing setups until you get the car where you feel very comfortable with it.
Well put. Like I said, I'm not giving up on it just yet. I think it's a great buggy and with the right setup it will far surpass my driving ability. It is just a bit disheartening to read that the new totally redesigned proto is "a huge improvement over last year’s".
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Hope they keep the chassis the same and offer the parts as upgrades.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

i hope they change the chassis lol cause it wud make the car much better team drivers at neo wanted to dremmel the 5mm thick parts round the edge down to 3mm but it turned out to be to big a job for a dremmel lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.