Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by H83R
And another side note, try not to post replies with an IPhone, dam
Auto spell can make your wording sound a little off if you don't pay attention before you post it..lol
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys

Thank you for the info and advice.

Disclaimer: I'm just getting back into r/c since the mid 90's. It's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

The reason I have the low profile was of necessity (desperation?). All I could get on the day to get things up and running were the 1252MG (LP) and an 0254MG. I'd read that 120 ounce/in was the absolute minimum for steering so decided that the 0254 could be put to service in steering till it broke and/or the LHS got new stock of the better servos.

It died on the second day out, but that was the following weekend and the LHS had new stock. I'd read that the 1256TG was a good bet for steering, on here and Savox's site points to it for 1/8th too. So that's what I got. The 1252 was 'faster' so I figured it'd be fine for throttle/brake duties.

When you say it's wants to have roughly double or more torque than the weight of the car I'm assuming you mean it's mass when moving (which I haven't figured out, I'm off to the vets because I have fleas! No really, my dog is a reject, poor bugger but that's another story).

Anyway, the 1256TG is rated at 277 ounce/in, or 20kg so I'll be checking that out later.

Regardless, if I've snafu-ed it, I blame stock supplies and naivety - or perhaps age

On a related note, the new V2 Rx box has higher mounting holes and sits more towards the edge of the chassis which cured any low profile servo ailments.

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The Savox 1267 I think is one of the best all around servos Savox has for a very good price $95 or look on the sell and trade for a good used one. You could splurge and go for the 2271 $124 but the 1267 almost has the exact same spec for $30 less. The 1267 is coreless and the 2271 is brushless.
1267 specs 291oz torque @ 7.4V*
.09 sec Speed the 2271 is only .02sec faster I would stick with the 1267
And the 1268 specs 347oz in torque @ 7.4V .11 speed. For the same price $95
A good investment. + Savox customer service I would rate right up there with Futaba and KO Propo. Which is Very high by the way.
All the Best man.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Bump

[/B][/B]
Originally Posted by cyguardian
Hi everyone,

Its been a year and a bit since I have been running my DNX408, looking at this thread, and i decided to share info with you on this buggy, truly an amazing piece of hardware, and hopefully get a few qns answered.

For the record I'm using the following hardware

DNX408 upgrade to V2 tank,radio
Aluminium turnknuckles and throttle linksi
Fioroni throttle holder and rear gearbox brackets
AKA tires (usually)
Alpha Plus engine .21 F850 and Orion Pro starter box
Spektrum Receiver and Transmitter
Futaba BLS351 throttle servo and Spektrum 6040 Steering servo
Annsman base move charger and nimh and life batteries (orion marathon)

What I love about the buggy:

Very easy to take apart and service
Good spares supply nowdays
Very good handling on track (loose ground with few jumps) now that it is properly set-up

What I don't like
I think the dirt shields (or whatever they are called) on rear are small, and dirt from exhaust fuel gets about everywhere on the buggy

When I can (after few posts apparently) I will post couple of pics. For the record, I live in Europe - Cyprus and getting spares and parts takes some time.

The other day I had the following failure, on finishing my practice run I noted the rear center transmission was not spinning freely. Upon a quick check, the internal bearing on rear shaft going in to the diff box complete fell appart, filling the diff housing with small bearing balls ! Now this happened I guess as I never replaced those bearings. I had another bearing failure on the clutch bearing a month ago. Again that was never replaced before !

Qn 1
I'm wondering how often everyone replaces/cleans bearings and also if you have a qood cost-efficient solution on bearing kits for this buggy. Is it worth buying an expensive ceramic set and cleaning them, or buying a cheaper set and replacing every 6 months lets say, or sticking to individual stock bearings?
For cleaning do you use bearing oil or say the TD grease (small white pot)

Qn2
I have two nimh batteries 1800 and one life battery. I noted with the LIFE battery everything is more consistent etc. and it is lighter, but it is not a tried and tested solution for me in a race (i bought it only recently). Do you have any preference (I do not use high voltage servos and would not want to switch tio LIPO)

Thats it for now, thanks everyone for all info on this thread, and special thanks to Lutz for sharing his set-up shits!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default New Parts

HD Front Front Hangers:

HD Front Rear Hanger:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is everyone running the 2mm hex's on both front and rear? Any reason to just widen the rear vs the front? Right now I have the 2mm hex's on the front and rear.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I run F & R. I think it was mentioned earlier that using the 2+ in the rear makes the buggy a little too wide for the rules, we don't care locally... To me, it seems to take some "edginess" and tendency to roll, out of the car. Just slightly easier to drive.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chris-s
HD Front Front Hangers:

HD Front Rear Hanger:
So that's the second time they get beefed up?
The "small" FF hanger is already bigger than the one taht originally came with the kat when it was released.

When will these be available?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Huleboer
So that's the second time they get beefed up?
The "small" FF hanger is already bigger than the one taht originally came with the kat when it was released.

When will these be available?

Available now!
FF: http://www.team-durango.com/part-inf...artNo=TD330368
FR: http://www.team-durango.com/part-inf...artNo=TD330369
RF: http://www.team-durango.com/part-inf...artNo=TD330370
RR-R: http://www.team-durango.com/part-inf...artNo=TD330371
RR-L: http://www.team-durango.com/part-inf...artNo=TD330372

They are actually the Truggy hinge pin holders, but are a direct fit to the buggy.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris-s
HD Front Front Hangers:

HD Front Rear Hanger:
Are the inserts the same size? The first photo looks like a different size insert is required.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmackani
Are the inserts the same size? The first photo looks like a different size insert is required.
Same size inserts, there is quite a bit of perspective to that photo which doesnt help!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyguardian
Bump

[/B][/B]
Have u replaced your bearings at all before that happened? Those bearings seem to catch quite a bit of grit. I replace my wheel, and clutch and pinion bearings quite often. I use avid revolution bearings on everything except the clutch. It's like $25 for the whole bearing kit. They seem to hold up as good as any expensive bearings I've bought.

I would use the life battery.. like u said it will be much more consistent. Nimh batteries are a thing of the past.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you v. much kaink, much appreciated. I putting on an order on those bearings just to give them a try, i have always used TD bearings. On the life, maybe ill buy second pack just for backup. Any suggestions?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is anyone running a wrap/skin on their 408 shell? Thinking about getting one but not many places do it. Does anyone do team replica skins (like Lutz's color pattern/style)?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wombat
Is anyone running a wrap/skin on their 408 shell? Thinking about getting one but not many places do it. Does anyone do team replica skins (like Lutz's color pattern/style)?
Hi,

You can contact Rcallstickers.com They have DNX408 skins of Adam Skelding, Hupo Honigl, Chris Doughty, I don't know if they have Lutz replica too, but the can do a custom work for you fo sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.