Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi folks

I've shifted my Savox 1251MG low profile servo to the throttle/brake location. It was used for steering but I replaced the steering with a high torque servo (SAV1256TG).

Can anyone see a problem with using longer screws and putting a spacer between the servo and its mounts? Being a low profile servo the brake linkage rubs on the RX box.

I'm guessing it'd be fine but thought checking wouldn't hurt. Besides it's a bit of a heads up to anyone considering using a low profile servo in this position.

*edit: apologies if this has been covered.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by spacejazz
Hi folks

I've shifted my Savox 1251MG low profile servo to the throttle/brake location. It was used for steering but I replaced the steering with a high torque servo (SAV1256TG).

Can anyone see a problem with using longer screws and putting a spacer between the servo and its mounts? Being a low profile servo the brake linkage rubs on the RX box.

I'm guessing it'd be fine but thought checking wouldn't hurt. Besides it's a bit of a heads up to anyone considering using a low profile servo in this position.

*edit: apologies if this has been covered.
it has,

but if you still have he rubber pieces that come in the box (savox) they'll space the servo out enough. they squish a little so no longer screws/shims needed.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi everyone,

Its been a year and a bit since I have been running my DNX408, looking at this thread, and i decided to share info with you on this buggy, truly an amazing piece of hardware, and hopefully get a few qns answered.

For the record I'm using the following hardware

DNX408 upgrade to V2 tank,radio
Aluminium turnknuckles and throttle links
Fioroni throttle holder and rear gearbox brackets
AKA tires (usually)
Alpha Plus engine .21 F850 and Orion Pro starter box
Spektrum Receiver and Transmitter
Futaba BLS351 throttle servo and Spektrum 6040 Steering servo
Annsman base move charger and nimh and life batteries (orion marathon)

What I love about the buggy:

Very easy to take apart and service
Good spares supply nowdays
Very good handling on track (loose ground with few jumps) now that it is properly set-up

What I don't like
I think the dirt shields (or whatever they are called) on rear are small, and dirt from exhaust fuel gets about everywhere on the buggy

When I can (after few posts apparently) I will post couple of pics. For the record, I live in Europe - Cyprus and getting spares and parts takes some time.

The other day I had the following failure, on finishing my practice run I noted the rear center transmission was not spinning freely. Upon a quick check, the internal bearing on rear shaft going in to the diff box complete fell appart, filling the diff housing with small bearing balls ! Now this happened I guess as I never replaced those bearings. I had another bearing failure on the clutch bearing a month ago. Again that was never replaced before !

Qn 1
I'm wondering how often everyone replaces/cleans bearings and also if you have a qood cost-efficient solution on bearing kits for this buggy. Is it worth buying an expensive ceramic set and cleaning them, or buying a cheaper set and replacing every 6 months lets say, or sticking to individual stock bearings?
For cleaning do you use bearing oil or say the TD grease (small white pot)

Qn2
I have two nimh batteries 1800 and one life battery. I noted with the LIFE battery everything is more consistent etc. and it is lighter, but it is not a tried and tested solution for me in a race (i bought it only recently). Do you have any preference (I do not use high voltage servos and would not want to switch tio LIPO)

Thats it for now, thanks everyone for all info on this thread, and special thanks to Lutz for sharing his set-up shits!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by t8rtot
it has,

but if you still have he rubber pieces that come in the box (savox) they'll space the servo out enough. they squish a little so no longer screws/shims needed.
Ahhh yes. I would have thought of that... perhaps not!

Thank you
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Werks mugen/durango headers were sent out to dealers a couple days ago as well as http://amainhobbies.com

It may take them a day or two to update thier websights or system to be able to see/order the product

part# WRX6665
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Initiate

I kinda like this buggy so far! For the laps that I got to run until engine trouble struck, it felt real comfy. I wasn't too far off pace and the car was totally dialed out. I cant wait to get some more time with it.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I haven't gotten mine on the track yet, but the car went together beautifully, and the easy driving i've done for engine breakin has been great so far. the car feels nimble, planted, and responsive. I will report back after I get it on the track next weekend, but I'm loving this buggy so far.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Initiate

double post
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I would've had it dialed in a bit closer but.....One of Durangos shitty linkage ball cups popped off and sent the car flying right at me WFO. I didn't want a broken toe or worse so I tried to catch it and got a nice divot worth 4 stitches in the meat of my paw. This was after tracing engine problems back to a fuel line full of holes. Guess who supplied the fuel line? Won't mention the factory bent wing, or torn filter, or easily srippable screws....Oops. True, it's my fault for not throwing a return on like I had planned, and for not replacing parts I knew were crap and would eventually fail, but c'mon man. If I can pop em on with one finger it's probably not of the best quality. I went through a lot of hell to get this buggy going, almost enough to sell it but it handles nice! Ill be back next weekend. This car has no idea who it's f-ing with. Lol!! Engine and medical problems aside, I dig the Durango. Team Durango, you have a really nice buggy...Please work on that Quality Control. It's the little things that matter......Or maybe it's bad luck....Or bad karma....I've had a run of that lately.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Anyone run the JC Punisher Wing on their DNX ? (http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...3f69a017ac07ce)

If so how you like it ? Hows it fit ?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I currently have a Serpent 811 buggy. Runs great handles awesome.
But the parts availability F-ing sucks. I can only get them online. As where as
The DNX408 almost everyone has them and they are cheaper.
I would really like to get the DNX408 buggy and sell my Serpent 811,
What are the pros and cons between the 2.
There is probably already a thread about this, but I'm just courious..
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RacerEckss
I would've had it dialed in a bit closer but.....One of Durangos shitty linkage ball cups popped off and sent the car flying right at me WFO. I didn't want a broken toe or worse so I tried to catch it and got a nice divot worth 4 stitches in the meat of my paw. This was after tracing engine problems back to a fuel line full of holes. Guess who supplied the fuel line? Won't mention the factory bent wing, or torn filter, or easily srippable screws....Oops. True, it's my fault for not throwing a return on like I had planned, and for not replacing parts I knew were crap and would eventually fail, but c'mon man. If I can pop em on with one finger it's probably not of the best quality. I went through a lot of hell to get this buggy going, almost enough to sell it but it handles nice! Ill be back next weekend. This car has no idea who it's f-ing with. Lol!! Engine and medical problems aside, I dig the Durango. Team Durango, you have a really nice buggy...Please work on that Quality Control. It's the little things that matter......Or maybe it's bad luck....Or bad karma....I've had a run of that lately.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, mate.

Loving the kick arse fighting spirit though... Rock on!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by H83R
I currently have a Serpent 811 buggy. Runs great handles awesome.
But the parts availability F-ing sucks. I can only get them online. As where as
The DNX408 almost everyone has them and they are cheaper.
I would really like to get the DNX408 buggy and sell my Serpent 811,
What are the pros and cons between the 2.
There is probably already a thread about this, but I'm just courious..
Thanks.
I owned a Serpent and switched to the Durango...

Driving-wise, the Serpent is a little more planted and easier to drive. However, the Durango can out turn the 811, and can hold a much higher speed through the corners. The Durango jumps a tad better.

Durability is about the same, however the Durango does not suffer from the Diff issues that plague the 811. The center shafts on the DNX do wear out, like alot of 8th scale buggies. Durango will develop slop much sooner than the 811, but it drives better with some slop.

It's hard to really make a recommendation, since the 811 and DNX drive very differently. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive the DNX before deciding to switch.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So I have been reading the DEX forum and there are several of those guys that have struggled with rear end traction. It looks like a couple of them have removed the rear sway bar completely and have achieved desirable results. Anyone tried this with the DNX?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Only way to be spacejazz!! All Im looking for next time out is some more initial turn in and maybe to go with a bit more pack for the rear. It was getting kinda upset on the bigger jumps. After that I think I could do some damage. Don't think I could go after the top 3 at our track but I know I can get in the a main!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.