Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Need a suggestion for new ball cups. The stock ones were too tight when I first built the buggy and caused the throttle not to close all the way all the time...after a gallon through the car now and the ball cups are still too tight. So I need to know what size to get and which ones you guys find work best.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Need a suggestion for new ball cups. The stock ones were too tight when I first built the buggy and caused the throttle not to close all the way all the time...after a gallon through the car now and the ball cups are still too tight. So I need to know what size to get and which ones you guys find work best.
I do not think your problem is the ball cups. Put a throttle return ring around the carburetor and it will close fine. Trust me, tight ball cups are good. You can buy the goodies hair bands from walmart to use for this.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

I've got one on and it does close fine with it on...but the bind in the cups is enough to flex the throttle bell crank mount quite a bit...snug is good but bind is not. I'd rather them be a little lose and use the old cotton or plastic bag trick than be to tight.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

I've got one on and it does close fine with it on...but the bind in the cups is enough to flex the throttle bell crank mount quite a bit...snug is good but bind is not. I'd rather them be a little lose and use the old cotton or plastic bag trick than be to tight.
what about picking up one of these to help your flexing issue

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-Link-Holder
Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Gadget, I had the same issue when I first built my buggy. I got it super muddy one night trying to bed the track in for the electric guys so I did a full rebuild. While putting it all back together, I chucked a ball into my drill and popped the cup on and started it spinning and would stop occasionally to see how it felt. It was a drastic improvement over stock and I no longer have a hanging idle issue.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 191 (100%+)

Ok so no response about coming from assoc, so what did everyone drive before 408 and how does it compare? I need some input. I only have a couple days to decide if I want to try it. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patrick lsp
Ok so no response about coming from assoc, so what did everyone drive before 408
MBX4-RR
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FearNothing321
what about picking up one of these to help your flexing issue

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-Link-Holder
Oh I plan to...but the flexing is just a symptom of the problem...better to cure the problem than patch the symptom
Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

I am thinking of trying the buggy coming from assoc. I liked the rc8b and love my rc8.2 anybody else come from running the assoc and can tell me what they like better about the dingo? Thanks
I had all of the rc8's. After getting my Durango dialed I sold all my rc8 stuff! I tried for years and just couldn't do anything with it.
I only club race but I've got a second and some third place finishes.
I like that I can see any changes to the buggy made on the track.
To me this buggy likes to be driven, I like it.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Ok so no response about coming from assoc, so what did everyone drive before 408 and how does it compare? I need some input. I only have a couple days to decide if I want to try it. Thanks.
The biggest thing I like is the 5 mm chassis, and ease of pulling diffs. My rc8b was flexing so much I was breaking engine mounts and eating clutch bells and spurs! That gets expensive real fast! I even broke a king headz extended mount!
I don't worry about flex anymore I play with it instead, thinning out braces, I don't run a rear brace, but will put it back on if becomes too much flex. It's a tank! I don't worry about anything anymore other than tire choices!
Oh yeah, I've got 2 408's now
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

This is an old trick for a sticky/tight ball cup.

With the ballcup on the ball, squeeze the plastic ballcup with a pair of needle nose pliers slightly. It will flex and stretch the plastic slightly, not tighten it, and the ballcup fill become more free. It will still not pop off easily though, which is what you want.

You may need to squeeze it 2 or 3 times, or whatever you need to get it as free as you'd like.

I had to to that to the throttle/brake linkage ballcups.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
ran a few tanks at a practice track today threw the 408. Im impressed. Car has a ton of steering. I got it used so I dont know what setup is in the buggy. But I could use a little more rear traction. What diff oil and shock oils and pistons do most of you guys run
Anyone?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afr0sch
This is an old trick for a sticky/tight ball cup.

With the ballcup on the ball, squeeze the plastic ballcup with a pair of needle nose pliers slightly. It will flex and stretch the plastic slightly, not tighten it, and the ballcup fill become more free. It will still not pop off easily though, which is what you want.

You may need to squeeze it 2 or 3 times, or whatever you need to get it as free as you'd like.

I had to to that to the throttle/brake linkage ballcups.
This helps, But sure Doesn't Solve the issue.

InspGadgt said it right, better to cure the problem than patch the symptom
Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony montana
Anyone?
I dropped the rear camber links on tower to bottom hole,2 mm mod,hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
This helps, But sure Doesn't Solve the issue.

InspGadgt said it right, better to cure the problem than patch the symptom
Solves it for me....to each their own I guess.

I don't have issues with mine, so I guess the difference is in the mechanic working on the car not so much as any issues with the car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.