Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Queensland, Australia, Earth, Galaxy, Universe, A Childs Sandpit
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kolunatic
At first I sanded the top of shock bodies when using TD bladders which helped. Now I use Losi bladders and I tighten caps on with pliers and a screwdriver! No problems.
Hmm sanding them down. Good idea, I hadn't thought of that.. Instead I was thinking of spacers but sanding makes sense. I tried the losi bladders but they aren't as good in performance as the durango ones. I could never get the rebound right with them and they seemed to always act like they had full rebound when the springs were installed. I think the durango ones are more designed to the cap than losi ones... This is why I wanted to persevere with making them work. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by autocadsteve197
Hmm sanding them down. Good idea, I hadn't thought of that.. Instead I was thinking of spacers but sanding makes sense. I tried the losi bladders but they aren't as good in performance as the durango ones. I could never get the rebound right with them and they seemed to always act like they had full rebound when the springs were installed. I think the durango ones are more designed to the cap than losi ones... This is why I wanted to persevere with making them work. Thanks for the idea.

Why Wouldn't the Shocks go Full rebound when the springs are installed.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Try reading what he wrote and then think to yourself what he is trying to say before you post another stupid remark.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Originally Posted by diamondracing
Try reading what he wrote and then think to yourself what he is trying to say before you post another stupid remark.
for both of you .. please be nice when posting.. this will be your only warning... thank you...
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't get it. It seems like Integra had a valid question. How would you know how much rebound was dialed in on a shock with the springs on? I am sure on the track you could tell a difference, but on the bench? I am curious.

Still learning. But, I don't think Integra was being derisive.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

RE the shock caps you will find that Losi caps as well as the diaphragms work fine. I'm using the vented caps with foam insert and shocks are amazing! I think TD also have some new caps in the pipeline which will also solve the problem.

Ryan, rear shocks seem to be back on the "std" side of the arms again - is this your final conclusion on the topic? Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have had good luck with the Losi bladders as well. Has anyone just vented the original caps and added the foam comp?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisL
RE the shock caps you will find that Losi caps as well as the diaphragms work fine. I'm using the vented caps with foam insert and shocks are amazing! I think TD also have some new caps in the pipeline which will also solve the problem.

Ryan, rear shocks seem to be back on the "std" side of the arms again - is this your final conclusion on the topic? Thanks
New caps are available.

Yes, I prefer the shocks on the front of the arms. Could never personally get the rear swaybar to work how I wanted with the shocks in the rear.

Originally Posted by Limywidget
I have had good luck with the Losi bladders as well. Has anyone just vented the original caps and added the foam comp?
Yes, works just as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ryan,

Have you been using the vented caps? Thinking I may give them a shot, but it'd be my first set of vented caps... don't want to spend 40 bucks and spend time rebuilding shocks if they pretty much work the same.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Losi bladders work but they don't work anywhere nearly as good as the TD bladders. The Losi bladders don't tear because they are made differently. You''l notice that the TD bladders have a very thin wall just under the lip of the bladder ( if you fold the lip back you can see what I am trying to explain) and that then is the spot wear they always rip.. What I found is happening is that the shock cap is "guillotining" the lip of the bladder instead of making it snug. I don't understand why TD didn't find this in the testing stages as it happens so often to me that I can't see how the problem didn't arise. Making the shock body slightly shorter giving it less thread ( about 1.5mm would do it) then making the shock shaft 1.5mm shorter so the piston doesn't move up to far in the cap and rip through the bladder would fix this problem. I know this way would shorten the shocks overall travel by 1.5mm but the other solution would be a spacer under the cap so you can screw them down tight with tools and not "finger tight". My eyebrows were raised when I heard that this is supposed to be how its done and my suspicion is right. The shock body unscrews itself after running the car and you end up either loosing oil or letting air in..

As for the vented caps. I took the plunge and decided to sacrifice one of my spare caps to see what this mod was like. Can I say firstly that I'm glad I only did it to one cap and didn't go ahead and drill all 4 at once. It sucks the big one.. Even setting full rebound the shock would come out but 3 mm or less. The shock felt "dead" I tried different sizes and shapes of foam ( I used the inner foam from 1/10th offroad proline inner foam) which I understand to be plenty dense enough.. I drilled a 1.5mm hole with my dremel press so the drilling was accurate and exact. Also my thoughts of this were that on the out stroke of the piston that it would have some suction through the hole which to me is acting like a vacuum cleaner sucking in dust.. I can't see how this is cool.

I don't get it. It seems like Integra had a valid question. How would you know how much rebound was dialed in on a shock with the springs on? I am sure on the track you could tell a difference, but on the bench? I am curious.

Still learning. But, I don't think Integra was being derisive.
Build one shock with half rebound and another with full rebound and test them side by side on the bench with the spring installed. The half rebound moves out much smoother and slightly slower than the full rebound built shock.. And this is how my shocks felt no matter what rebound I tried with the losi bladders. A very springy, too fast feeling shock..
Old 10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Um..I don't check my rebound with the spring on.

Am I doing it wrong?

Hmmm
Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afr0sch

Am I doing it wrong?

Hmmm

Imo No, but others may feel differently i guess.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by afr0sch

Am I doing it wrong?

Hmmm
No you're doin it right with the spring off. I was just saying do it like that to see what the effect is when the spring is installed.. Definitely spring off yo set rebound.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Exclamation SUM. UP THE DINGO ...

I read I can use a Losi clutch is that still correct?

Last edited by drs92; 10-16-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Why does the DNX408 need so many parts form other manufactures to make it work, I just dont get it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.