Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Signal151
My kit came with Team Durango fluids. 70,000CTS and 20,000CST diff fluids and 600CTS shock fluid. I'm sure they'll have more available soon.
I saw that in my kit so I assumed it was coming. I just didn't want to stock up on other fluids and TD's hit the shelf next week.

This car is new to everyone, so I am atleast trying to find out what most of you are going to run (Brand of Fluid) for now so we can atleast help each other out a little.

THX, this car is awesome. The plastics are really nice.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Im like a kid at christmas time here waiting for the fed ex guy
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hookem34
Hard to see what you did. Please explain...
i drilled out a collet i normrmally use to 5mm to fit over the crankshaft. ( it's actually a electric motor titanium mounth ttp://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_580/products_id/39303/n/Lunsford-3x7mm-Short-Fat-Boy-Titanium-Motor-Screws-2 ) and it used up the space just perfect now when i go to change my clutch bearings i don't have to worry about losing 8 shims.....
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Motor-Screws-2
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how many shims do you use now?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Electric Dave
Who's going to be first to convert a DNX408 to electric?
I'll be ready to produce a conversion kit in about a week, if the test go well I plan to sell some kit
Here you can find some pics of the work in progress(the site is in Italian, I'll post some pics on rctech in a couple of days):
http://www.rc-monster.it/public/foru...=6236&start=45

Last edited by sirio76; 12-16-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chirivita
I will as soon as i get mine, but there's more people working on it already.

At least mine will be a little bit different DEX408 layout like my current 808-e
How are you going to solve the problem with the mid driveshaft and the chassis stiffener? If you want a centralized layout you need to create both of them. I've considered that layout too, but it was too much work if you consider that the brushless version of the 408 is coming in a few months... Anyway keep me updated, I'm very interested
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
So what Brand Diff and Shock Oils is everyone using? I was going to try some Xray fluids or just run LOSI.

Anyone?

WHEN WILL DURANGO COME OUT WITH THEIR OWN FLUIDS?

Sorry for the caps, but I already asked
We estimate that Durango oils should be in the shops around Febuary, certainly before the summer season starts.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Beagle32
I went by the local hobby shop and checked out the Durango. Man this thing is nice. I drive Mugen's right now but was wondering how this car drives compared to the mbx6-mspec and losi. Has anyone be able to drive their buggy yet? If so, how do you like it and what are some of the characteristics of the handling? How does the rear end feel when you drive it hard into and out of the corners? How is the initial turn in on it, traction i meen?
Driver reports say - traction and jumping is brilliant. Steering you can make it do want you want with optional springs, antiroll bars and standard caster blocks, but because the weight is narrow its naturally fast and responsive in the turns which is a big benefit on most tracks.

The biggest thing with the car is its low CofG you can push it hard, drive aggressive and make a few mistakes without it biting you back. Ryan says you can feel its low, its not at all "tippy".

We've done a lot of back to back tests against the best cars (MP9, MBX6 and Losi8) (same driver, tyres, engine and track) - the DEX408 is faster AND more consistent by being easier to drive.

Problem is racing is not that simple tracks, tyres, engines, drivers, set-up choices and luck all play a massive part so TD won't win everything or suit everyone but the DNX408 will give you a great chance. ENJOY
Old 12-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Adept

I am using LOSI oils and at the moment I am 40 in the front shocks and 37.5 in the rear. It feels good.

I found that traction incresed a lot after the diffs had loosened a bit and the driveshafts had settled.

The accelleration is fierce, and it doesn't feel as twitchy on fast bumps as my LOSI 8ight 2.0 did. It is especially good on off-camber turns which I used to struggle with.

It also turns like nothing else I have ever used and I may try and calm it down a bit when lighter roll bars come out. It feels very precise and I am the limiting factor not the car.

Feedback I have had from Kevin Brunsden trackside was that he can run the car stiffer than others as, with the super low CofG the car seems to work the tyres harder, but without wearing them out..
Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc ace
how many shims do you use now?
ZERO!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Anybody else struggle with the c clip on the diff bearing tube and throw it across the room. Can anyone give me a tip that makes it easier. Even thought about not putting it in but i figure the it may ruin the r & p gears.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Even though my own DNX408 is still in the pipe i did assist for the first laps of a buddy's one last sunday.
Some parts of the track were slippery so we worked on the rear train to get it more planted : ride height, rear hub position, toe-in, in addition to to 14/48 gear ratio. In the end it went great.
Oil in shocks (600) was too hard with the low temperatures we had (5C).
On the other hand front and center diffs would need to be a little more tough. Something like 15/10/5 or 20/15/5. We did not test oils in diffs or shocks though.
We were very satisfied with the car, and nothing broke despite the low temps Although it was a bit wet, and all protections were great. No mud inside the body.
I'm a bit surprised by some points:
- 2.6 front anti-roll bar by default. Seems a bit too thick for low speed corners.
- only 2 possible value for rear to-in (2 and 3) ? 1 full degree seems a bit much, i used to swith 2,5 and 2,75 on the mbx5 and mbx6.
- We saw that there are 2 rear hubs, 0 and -1: is that about outboard toe-in ? or anti-squat ?
- ride height is quite high, but i guess that's link to the low CofG !
- i still think that i'll add a protection between the tank and the steering servo, and that i'll cut the radio box in order to be able to change the RX pack without opening the full radio box.

All in all i'm waiting to build and race the car with lot of impatience ! Seems to have a great potential, and to be fun to drive.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

TeamDurango

YGPM
Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sirio76
I'll be ready to produce a conversion kit in about a week, if the test go well I plan to sell some kit
Here you can find some pics of the work in progress(the site is in Italian, I'll post some pics on rctech in a couple of days):
http://www.rc-monster.it/public/foru...=6236&start=45
I've been following that thread for a week, looking good

Originally Posted by sirio76
How are you going to solve the problem with the mid driveshaft and the chassis stiffener? If you want a centralized layout you need to create both of them. I've considered that layout too, but it was too much work if you consider that the brushless version of the 408 is coming in a few months... Anyway keep me updated, I'm very interested
You're right, i need to make them both, i have a couple of ideas for that.
It's not an easy conversion, but i enjoy the process and i can't wait for the DEX408, which i'm getting as soon as it hits the market.

I will let you know how it goes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.