Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Where the ego's are so big, people's heads can't fit in the door
Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattP
So are most of ya'lls tuning issues resolved by switching fuel tanks?

If so what are some direct bolt in tanks?
I don't even wanna run mine yet if I'm just going to have tuning issues due to a poor tank design. I'd like to switch the tanks out first if it's needed.
Ok, lets not all blow this out of proportion...

I have been running my car for months on the orig tank. Yes there has been bubbles, but it happens. My absolute biggest issue w/ the orig tank is no clunk. Go upside down for any period of time and blah... Dead.

I put the Serpent tank in due to me having a ton of problems this weekend, I actually got the idea from JoeC. (thanks Joey) I used the orig front mounting hole(had to drill it out a bit and countersink the hole on the bottom, but do-able) and drilled/csunk a new hole right in front of the old rear hole. Biggest problem with that is the tank is a bit wider, so my 2057 pipe was pushed out quite a bit. At that time I was in "make it work mode".

The stock body did not fit very well at that point. Joe already had another body cut to fit (have to cut the body around the tank, he did that and actually covered most of the original window w/ lexan. Would be just fine and not look bad if you had a new body, since you have to cut the window hole anyways.)

Later today, I plan on cutting down the mounts on the tank to sit lower. That way I may be able to make things work a bit better. As stated I was just wanting it to work at that point. Now that I am home and have time I will actually look into making it a bit nicer. I will post some pics later today for those interested.

But, for those of you looking for a "cleaner" look. My buddy Ashton put an 808 tank in his... Pretty much a direct drop in, again just had to cut the mounts down. He put a bulldog Losi body on it and again w/ a little bit of trimming around the tank fit and worked great on his car. I may even go this route myself after looking at it, but I think the Serpent tank is an excellent design, so I will try to make it work first. I also plan on buying a Bulldog body today and painting that up/fitting it as it looked really good on the car.

Food for thought guys.

~C.B.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default bladder issue fix

The bladders are cut by the inner -sharp- edge of the shockbody.
First you just have to put a fine sandpaper on a flat surface and grind the shockbody a few times over to get a flat contact area for the bladder (therefore turn the body a few degrees every time you pull carefully and allways just in one direction over the sandpaper), then grind the inner edge slightly to get a little chamfer on. Don't forget to clean your shockbody(s) afterwards well with e.g. breakcleaner. The shockcaps are designed well and need no modification.

I hope that anyone from TD read this and bring it into future production-parts.

Have fun with your Dingo's. Good night, good fight.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by karamelli
First you just have to put a fine sandpaper on a flat surface and grind the shockbody a few times over to get a flat contact area for the bladder (therefore turn the body a few degrees every time you pull carefully and allways just in one direction over the sandpaper), then grind the inner edge slightly to get a little chamfer on. Don't forget to clean your shockbody(s) afterwards well with e.g. breakcleaner. The shockcaps are designed well and need no modification.

The only time mine ever got cut was removing them from the shock cap when changing fluids. They are soo thin, no matter what I used to get them out they would get a small slice in them. Been running Losi bladders for ~2 months now, still on original bladders
Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Thanks Chedda Bob for clarifying everything. I have to drive several hours to get to a track so I just wanted to eliminate any possible problems I would have before I got there.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MattP
Thanks Chedda Bob for clarifying everything. I have to drive several hours to get to a track so I just wanted to eliminate any possible problems I would have before I got there.
NP man, just picked up a Bulldog body and is drying outside... Then to the basement for final fitment of the tank/body. Pics later tonight
Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by chedda bob
NP man, just picked up a Bulldog body and is drying outside... Then to the basement for final fitment of the tank/body. Pics later tonight
is the bulldog body a direct fit for the durango... do you have the part number also thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Any suggestions for replacing the fuel tube on the brake linkage? Using the fuel tubing seems to be inconsistant with splitting and the washer getting pushed under the tubing.... What are you guys using instead of the fuel line?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I had a great weekend with my DNX. Me and a buddy drove up to Arkansas to race round 4 of the Wolfpack pro series since we didn't have anything going on in DFW. First off, the track is a blast! Anyone in the area needs to check it out. The track was super muddy for the first round but I managed to win the round. I skipped the second round to clean my buggy and get it ready for the main. I started the 30 minute main out as TQ and led for about the first 5 minutes. The infield started to get pretty greasy and the tires I chose did not like the greasy areas. On top of that, I was having an odd problem that was requiring me to pit every 5 minutes. Even still, the buggy was awesome. It was super predictable and handled the rough and rutted track great. I only had a couple mistakes in the main and that is what I was most happy with. In the end, I ended up finishing second to my buddy who is a sponsored Xray driver and I was two laps up on 3rd. Now to go put some more nitro through my RB so it will finish breaking in and get better mileage!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Proline Losi Bulldog body painted/mounted. No pipe hole yet as I am changing motor/pipe but you get the idea

Also, the Serpent tank mounted in the car, as well as the holes on the underside of the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-picture-519.jpg   Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-picture-520.jpg   Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-picture-521.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chedda bob
Proline Losi Bulldog body painted/mounted. No pipe hole yet as I am changing motor/pipe but you get the idea

Also, the Serpent tank mounted in the car, as well as the holes on the underside of the chassis.
Looking good Chedda!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racerx336
I had a great weekend with my DNX. Me and a buddy drove up to Arkansas to race round 4 of the Wolfpack pro series since we didn't have anything going on in DFW. First off, the track is a blast! Anyone in the area needs to check it out. The track was super muddy for the first round but I managed to win the round. I skipped the second round to clean my buggy and get it ready for the main. I started the 30 minute main out as TQ and led for about the first 5 minutes. The infield started to get pretty greasy and the tires I chose did not like the greasy areas. On top of that, I was having an odd problem that was requiring me to pit every 5 minutes. Even still, the buggy was awesome. It was super predictable and handled the rough and rutted track great. I only had a couple mistakes in the main and that is what I was most happy with. In the end, I ended up finishing second to my buddy who is a sponsored Xray driver and I was two laps up on 3rd. Now to go put some more nitro through my RB so it will finish breaking in and get better mileage!
Thanks for driving up from dallas to race with us even if the weather wasn't all that great and you still didn't let me drive youre car but mine should be here tomorrow
Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well guys we have just finished four days of racing for the New South Wales State titles here in Australia and please to report that Kyle McBride took the win with his Durango. It was a fantastic race to watch. Kyle had one small error early on but held his nerve and got the lead with about 4 four minutes to go in the 45 minute main. His car looked excellent going around the track with his set up working perfectly.

I was also extremeely pleased with how my Durango was going. I had some excellent help from Scott McBride and Kyle over the four days and my car was amazing to drive - I just need to get some quicker reactions and learn to control the power better The number of comments I got on how the Dingo was going was great. This is a fantastic car to drive. Also considering that this was a completely new track the set up, with help from Scott, was not far from my base set up. Let me know if you would like the set up (track is medium size with med to high grip).

I can also provide some testament to how sturdy this car is. I have now had it since Christmas and I have given it an absolute punishing and broken no arms, shock towers, etc. The only issue I have had is not putting loctite on the shock screw. The car also spends some time on its lid and I have never had a problem with the fuel tank.

I am however looking forward to some of the upgrades when they come - mainly the fuel tank for a splash guard. I can however wait. Not too long for the truggy though (already sold my mugen one in anticipation!!).

Congratulations once agin Kyle. A great win. Kyle and Scott are great ambassadors for Durango (and also OS SPeed - man have these things got some power!).
Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin57
Thanks for driving up from dallas to race with us even if the weather wasn't all that great and you still didn't let me drive youre car but mine should be here tomorrow
Thanks for having us! I had a blast and can't wait to race on the track when it is dry. Me and Kurt will try to make it back up there for the last round and hopefully bring some more people with us. Thanks for pitting me too! And I would have let you drive the Durango had it not needed a boat hull glued to the bottom of it to make it around the track after the mains! Haha.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default factory durango driver young aussie kyle mc bride interveiw

here is a quick spare of the moment interveiw at this weeks austrlain nsw 1/8 state titles where young kyle took home 1st place
also his thoughts on the neo race and the development of the car
http://youtu.be/aYmg86PUc7s
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by karamelli

I thought that might be the issue. Glad someone was able to try it out before I did

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.