Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I got the skinny on the shocks. Thanks Chedda bob
SO what is It?????????
Old 05-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwilke
frank i have been useing 1.4 piston front td black springs 40wt losi oil,the rear i have a losi 56 piston (1.2) with 30wt losi oil td grey rear springs works very well.
Thanks I've got some wrenching to do.

I did drive a serpent after the race and then I drove the dnx back to back and well I like the dnx. The serpent felt a little more stable but I still like the dnx for the few tanks I ran even with the setup that I'm still not happy with on it. Just my opinion. I would say the dnx is more Losi like and the serpent is more hot bodies like if there is such a thing.

Last edited by Frank L; 05-15-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Where the ego's are so big, people's heads can't fit in the door
Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Current shock setup: Ran both outdoor on a big hardpacked track, as well as a super tight indoor track and loved it...

Front: Losi 54 pistons, Losi 42.5 wt oil, Durango orange springs, 50% rebound, Droop is 105mm

Rear: Losi 56 pistons, Losi 27.5wt oil, Durango grey springs, 50% rebound, Droop is 115mm.

2mm mod, 5-5-2 diffs, rear hubs all the way back, links in the 9 hole, shocks inside on arms, middle on towers, 14 deg caster blocks.

Car is soo planted, I moved the rear hubs back to "free up" the rear end and get some more entry steering back. Overall I was extremely happy with it! Ended up tq by over a lap over 2 local Losi/Associated sponsored drivers (both have beaten me in the past...)

Probably had 15 people come up and look at the car, everyone I let drive it... Loved it

~C.B.

Last edited by chedda bob; 05-15-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 172 (100%+)

Cheeda bob set up is real close to mine except rear diff oil I have 3000 rear droop at 116
Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Iggy 102
SO what is It?????????
There it is. Thanks

Originally Posted by chedda bob
Current shock setup: Ran both outdoor on a big hardpacked track, as well as a super tight indoor track and loved it...

Front: Losi 54 pistons, Losi 42.5 wt oil, Durango orange springs, 50% rebound, Droop is 105mm

Rear: Losi 56 pistons, Losi 27.5wt oil, Durango grey springs, 50% rebound, Droop is 115mm.

2mm mod, 5-5-2 diffs, rear hubs all the way back, links in the 9 hole, shocks inside on arms, middle on towers, 14 deg caster blocks.

Car is soo planted, I moved the rear hubs back to "free up" the rear end and get some more entry steering back. Overall I was extremely happy with it! Ended up tq by over a lap over 2 local Losi/Associated sponsored drivers (both have beaten me in the past...)

Probably had 15 people come up and look at the car, everyone I let drive it... Loved it

~C.B.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Hey Chedda, what are you running for the clutch setup?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JoeC
Hey Chedda, what are you running for the clutch setup?
I run the M2C adjustable weight 4 shoe setup. All 4 med shoes w/ 2 .95 and 2 1.0 springs, good and snappy, yet very drivable

Before that I ran the stock clutch w/ 1.0 springs. Snappy, yes... Smooth? Not enough for me.

~C.B.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Try the black springs on the front or the losi silver with 1.4 piston and 40wt oil. and the rear run the grey with the losi 56 and 30 or 32.5 if you run the 1.3 run 35 rear oil. Kwilke has his car close not far off at all.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey fellas! Been watching this thread since the car came out. I'm interested in converting a DNX408 to electric as Tamiya doesn't make a 1/8 E buggy. I almost got a chance to drive one at my home track but the guy sold it before I could get a chance. Said it broke to much. Which leads me to my questions I read on here that there are several of you with the same problems. Maybe first run stuff breaking? I really like how the car is laid out and how it looks around the track just a little worried on the durability. I'm sure they will get it worked out and I don't see Lutz or Fisher DNF so maybe just dumb luck? Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
Hey fellas! Been watching this thread since the car came out. I'm interested in converting a DNX408 to electric as Tamiya doesn't make a 1/8 E buggy. I almost got a chance to drive one at my home track but the guy sold it before I could get a chance. Said it broke to much. Which leads me to my questions I read on here that there are several of you with the same problems. Maybe first run stuff breaking? I really like how the car is laid out and how it looks around the track just a little worried on the durability. I'm sure they will get it worked out and I don't see Lutz or Fisher DNF so maybe just dumb luck? Thanks for your help guys.
Originally I had issues w/ the hingpin holders. They are made from a (in my own opinion)very brittle/crappy alum and would break out the side, or snap right off w/ just the clip of a tube...

I actually made my own mounts at work from Titanium. Since then, no more DNF's... Hell, no more broken parts since
Old 05-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by chedda bob
Originally I had issues w/ the hingpin holders. They are made from a (in my own opinion)very brittle/crappy alum and would break out the side, or snap right off w/ just the clip of a tube...

I actually made my own mounts at work from Titanium. Since then, no more DNF's... Hell, no more broken parts since
Ya I seem to be the only guy that hasn't had the original front hingepin holder break on either the nitro or e car. I finally swapped it out before it broke when I had the front end apart. I have yet to break my e buggy. It may be because I drive it easier due to the power that the e buggy has. There is a thread for Durango 408 conversion in the e section. Rctech member sirio has a solid conversion for this car. I can tell you that the e car is a dram to drive compared to the nitro car. But as for parts they are readonably priced for this car and so far I have replaced a front spindle and front arm. The driveline pins seem to wear quickly and dogbones develop a flat side but over all it's pretty durable IMO. Now a friend that I race with breaks parts left and right. He has broken parts that I can't imagine would ever break but I have seen him do it. So take it for what it's worth.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ya I seem to be the only guy that hasn't had the original front hingepin holder break on either the nitro or e car. I finally swapped it out before it broke when I had the front end apart. I have yet to break my e buggy. It may be because I drive it easier due to the power that the e buggy has. There is a thread for Durango 408 conversion in the e section. Rctech member sirio has a solid conversion for this car. I can tell you that the e car is a dram to drive compared to the nitro car. But as for parts they are readonably priced for this car and so far I have replaced a front spindle and front arm. The driveline pins seem to wear quickly and dogbones develop a flat side but over all it's pretty durable IMO. Now a friend that I race with breaks parts left and right. He has broken parts that I can't imagine would ever break but I have seen him do it. So take it for what it's worth.
Ya the parts I have seen broken were from pretty hard hits. Just sucks to not finish a race with a "normal" bobble that breaks things. Thanks for the info guys.

Chedda you selling those braces?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Chedda, any chance on making some of the titanium blocks and selling them?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice pic of reno's car from the euro warm up. Wonder how the shocks work on the rear of the tower
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-dnc9823-m.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Raced my durangos yesterday and I'm still not satisfied with the nitro Durango. The e converted Durango drives great and no matter what j do it seems like I cant get the nitro version up to that level. I also suffered some broken parts, a front arm and a front spindle and a buddy of mine lost the rear center drive pin. It would be nice to see some type of retaining device for these pins. Another Durango suffered several broken parts front and rear arm and even a cracked alum center diff carrier where the brake piston goes through. Idk how that part broke there weren't any cement walls to hit I also ripped the body off again and it was brand new with an upgrade skin

But does anyone have any suggestions on shock setup. Everytime I think I like my setup it proves me wrong. Right now I'm running front 1.4 piston td orange spring and 40wt and rear 1.3 piston td green spring and 40wt (I started with 30wt rear and it was bouncy) thanks.
Hey Frank, what setup are you running on the electric one?

The stock one works really well for me but shocks are too hard, and still the car is fantastic to drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.