Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

I put an Xray brake pad on the outside of the outer pads to take up free play in the brake travel. These were 1.5mm thick and seem to do the job nicely...

Adjusting the brake bias is done by adjusting the length of the the linkage that attaches the front and rear brake cam levers.

When you talk about 'retainers' do you mean the plastic things that go over the outdrives? If so, are they are supposed to locate inside the diff/pinion 'shell'? I just popped mine over the outdrives once the shell was complete and they spin freely and just protect the bearings from some of the crud....I could be wrong and may have built mine wrong!

In terms of the drivetrain being tight, did you install all the axle/hex shims? If you do...it is very tight. I only used some of the shims and will re-shim after a race or two (if/when needed). Other than the shims between the spur gear and centre diff bearing and between the centre diff cup and other centre diff bearing, I don't have any shims in the diff and all seems nice and smooth (assuming I haven't cocked up the build regarding the 'retainers'/plastic outdrive covers!

If you are having problems meshing your engine...check the backplate isn't hitting the rear chassis brace. I had to shave my rear brace a bit to get my Nitrotec to fit/mesh better...

Has anyone had any experience with Vibra-tite (link)? Just wondered if it may be a better solution rather than keep re-applying threadlock...

Last edited by Jaf1977; 12-10-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaf1977
I put an Xray brake pad on the outside of the outer pads to take up free play in the brake travel. These were 1.5mm thick and seem to do the job nicely...

Adjusting the brake bias is done by adjusting the length of the the linkage that attaches to the front and rear brake cam levers.

When you talk about 'retainers' do you mean the plastic things that go over the outdrives? If so, are they are supposed to locate inside the diff/pinion 'shell'? I just popped mine over the outdrives once the shell was complete and they spin freely and just protect the bearings from some of the crud....I could be wrong and may have built mine wrong!

In terms of the drivetrain being tight, did you install all the axle/hex shims? If you do...it is very tight. I only used some of the shims and will re-shim after a race or two (if/when needed). Other than the shims between the spur gear and centre diff bearing and between the centre diff cup and other centre diff bearing, I don't have any shims in the diff and all seems nice and smooth (assuming I haven't cocked up the build regarding the 'retainers'/plastic outdrive covers!

If you are having problems meshing your engine...check the backplate isn't hitting the rear chassis brace. I had to shave my rear brace a bit to get my Nitrotec to fit/mesh better...

Has anyone had any experience with Vibra-tite (link)? Just wondered if it may be a better solution rather than keep re-applying threadlock...
No that was my mistake, I went and looked on the link from max bashing and the guys with there complete kits had theres on the outside aswell so I am assuming this is the proper way to have them.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaf1977

Adjusting the brake bias is done by adjusting the length of the the linkage that attaches to the front and rear brake cam levers.

When you talk about 'retainers' do you mean the plastic things that go over the outdrives? If so, are they are supposed to locate inside the diff/pinion 'shell'? I just popped mine over the outdrives once the shell was complete and they spin freely and just protect the bearings from some of the crud....

Good stuff Jaf,

The plastic outdrive covers just slip on and off the outdrives not into the diff housing..

One of the rear bolts on the back of my motor weas hitting the rear brace.I also had the dremel a small piece of the rear plastic chassi brace for my plus 4 to mesh properly to the center diff.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

I just ordered a 408 from A-main along with a Savox 1256TG servo for the throttle! (I have a NIB Hitec 7955TH for steering.) I'm usually not an early adopter but this car looks so good I just couldn't resist! I hope it's worth it...
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

adjusting break bias is nearly imposible with out removing the transponder mount first. and when you do get a wrench on it both sides will just pop off the balls when you try to turn it .

i am sure we will come up with a better solution for this problem, maybe a thumb wheel if there is room, and running the threaded rod in and out of the ball cups several times to loosen them up a bit
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Or just pop it off, adjust and put it back on!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Will you guys please post some pics of your new Durango DNX408's. I am interested in seeing some good pics of this Buggy. Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Beagle32
Will you guys please post some pics of your new Durango DNX408's. I am interested in seeing some good pics of this Buggy. Thanks
Here you can find some pictures of mine I haven't build the brake and radio plate because I'm going to convert my 408 in brushless
http://www.rc-monster.it/public/foru...p=70882#p70882
Old 12-10-2010, 02:37 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

wheres the cheapest place to get the 408 from?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Well my 408 should be here in about 30 mins.. Anyone having trouble with the build yet??
Old 12-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jspurgin
Well my 408 should be here in about 30 mins.. Anyone having trouble with the build yet??
Nothing really hard about building it, just take your time putting it together and follow the instructions and you will be good to go!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jspurgin
Only a little trouble with servosave.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Thanks guy's.. I may have to pull an all-nighter on this one.. lol
Old 12-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sirio76
Only a little trouble with servosave.
What trouble did you have with the servo saver?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekin would like to welcome Team Durangos Ryan Lutz to the team:

http://teamtekin.blogspot.com/2010/1...ryan-lutz.html
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-tekin_rlutz.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.