Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwilke
here is the set up that worked really well today

front diff 5000
front shocks middle on tower out on arm
front shock oil 1.4 piston 37.5 wt oil black springs
front camber link in #4 on tower
front camber -1
droop 106 ride height 27mm
14 degree hub

center diff 5000

rear diff 4000
rear shocks middle on tower out on arm
rear shocks 1.4 piston 40 wt oil
grey springs
rear camber -2
2 degrees anti squat
3 degrees toe
rear droop 116
ride height 29mm
zero degree hub
wheelbase on hub in the middle
camber link #5 on tower #2 on hub
Cool Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stefan Millay
Noticed that Travis Amezcua is running for Durango at the Cactus race. Is he going to be running the nitro cars aswell?
I don't think so. He's a Mugen driver and since they don't have any 1/10th electric car, i guess he can drive for any other company on that scale. Happens a lot with other drivers.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Where the ego's are so big, people's heads can't fit in the door
Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Well, drove 1 hr to the track yesterday to work on setup w/ the car. Ran 1 tank and the car felt decent. Filled up for tank #2, and clipped a tube going about 5mph on the 1st lap (Not a hard crash by any means...) and once again busted both front hingepin mounts.

Due to this, simply adding to the frustration of ending my raceday last Sunday for the same reason... I am now machining the 2 mounts in Titanium at work. Pics up when they are done!

Also going to tear down the car and lighten everything I can. IMO the car is quite heavy compared to anything else. Hopefully by making the mounts I will actually be able to get some track time in so I can work on the car

/Rant

~C.B.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chirivita
I don't think so. He's a Mugen driver and since they don't have any 1/10th electric car, i guess he can drive for any other company on that scale. Happens a lot with other drivers.
Yeah I knew he was with Mugen but he switches to so many different companies its hard to keep up with him.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chedda bob
Well, drove 1 hr to the track yesterday to work on setup w/ the car. Ran 1 tank and the car felt decent. Filled up for tank #2, and clipped a tube going about 5mph on the 1st lap (Not a hard crash by any means...) and once again busted both front hingepin mounts.

Due to this, simply adding to the frustration of ending my raceday last Sunday for the same reason... I am now machining the 2 mounts in Titanium at work. Pics up when they are done!

Also going to tear down the car and lighten everything I can. IMO the car is quite heavy compared to anything else. Hopefully by making the mounts I will actually be able to get some track time in so I can work on the car

/Rant

~C.B.
Waiting for those pics! Titanium parts...sweet! Although they're gonna be heavier.
I'm interested on the lightening process, what do you have in mind? My Durango is getting some of the parts used by maxflo777 here and some carbon
Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

u likes?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
u likes?

Looks good to me.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Looks really good there Tee
Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

For those who would like to try Ryan's mod (or Billy's :-) ) without dremeling the bulkhead... I tried to achieve the same result by just changing the plastic inserts. So i replaced the RFL-3-2 insert by the RFR-3-3 one (that is using the insert for the right on the left), in order to get the A-arm (approximately) 2 mm higher. And for the rear i added the 4 2mm shims stack (more like 2.1 actually :-) ), as in the original method.
It does put a little pressure on the reversed 3-3 inserts, but not too much IMO. I'll see how it goes at the race tomorrow.
It seems that TD just have to offer new inserts, both RF and RR. BTW that's something we asked from the beginning, at leat to have more options for rear toe-in. Now we may need also to be able to tune easily the anti-squat and the roll axis.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Where the ego's are so big, people's heads can't fit in the door
Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chirivita
Waiting for those pics! Titanium parts...sweet! Although they're gonna be heavier.
I'm interested on the lightening process, what do you have in mind? My Durango is getting some of the parts used by maxflo777 here and some carbon
I'm willing to sacrifice the tiny amt of extra weight for the titanium to have the ability to finish a qualifier... The stock alum pieces are made from god knows what.

Not sure what all I'm going to lighten yet. I read that post a few pages back about the guy with all the drivetrain parts... I'm pretty much going to tear it down and take it all to work (machinist)
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mlbright
It changes the roll center or sometimes called roll axis of the buggy and really helps plant the rear end even more. It calmed down the rear alot at Psycho on a very brutal track, this weeken will be the first time on a smooth track. I've attached a pic for illustration purposes only, it shows the Roll Axis, the connection between the Front Roll Center & Rear Roll Cenert, all effects weight transfer of the buggy.

I understand your explanation and tried to have same roll axis change by virtually modding the "roll axis + weight balance" with a longer wheelbase,
through the two pics ( your and mine) it seem the same or closest result ( angle variation) but there is a different effect (if I'm not wrong) roll axis + (weight balance Vs Roll center changes)

I think you know this argument more than me, can you explain me better that theory

Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by charlymbx5
For those who would like to try Ryan's mod (or Billy's :-) ) without dremeling the bulkhead... I tried to achieve the same result by just changing the plastic inserts. So i replaced the RFL-3-2 insert by the RFR-3-3 one (that is using the insert for the right on the left), in order to get the A-arm (approximately) 2 mm higher. And for the rear i added the 4 2mm shims stack (more like 2.1 actually :-) ), as in the original method.
It does put a little pressure on the reversed 3-3 inserts, but not too much IMO. I'll see how it goes at the race tomorrow.
Code:
It seems that TD just have to offer new inserts, both RF and RR. BTW that's something we asked from the beginning, at leat to have more options for rear toe-in. Now we may need also to be able to tune easily the anti-squat and the roll axis.
It seem that TD have to do something like this
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-xray_bushing-system.jpg  
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mazzinga
I understand your explanation and tried to have same roll axis change by virtually modding the "roll axis + weight balance" with a longer wheelbase,
through the two pics ( your and mine) it seem the same or closest result ( angle variation) but there is a different effect (if I'm not wrong) roll axis + (weight balance Vs Roll center changes)

I think you know this argument more than me, can you explain me better that theory

Thanks

That picture is wrong. Here is some info on roll centres and roll axis.

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/carstuff/spring.htm

Not that any of that really matters, the point is, how does the car feel different on the track, not, what is the theory behind it.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JQ
That picture is wrong. Here is some info on roll centres and roll axis.

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/carstuff/spring.htm

Not that any of that really matters, the point is, how does the car feel different on the track, not, what is the theory behind it.
yes, I understood that something is wrong in this pics and theory, and I asked for better explanation of what I don't probably understan.. I know taht the best thing is to put the car on the ground and burn gallons
Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Durango rear spring set

I'm selling a never opened Durango DNX408 rear spring set, will ship any were in north American!

Asking $20.00 shipped

If interested, please PM or Email me at [email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.