Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

[QUOTE=FMLinero;8749166]
Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Yes I did, but it's not listed anywhere on my posted set-up. We are still testing it and want to try it on multiple tracks to make sure it does what we want it to.

What is purpose of shimming the rear diff? What does it do?

Shimming the rear diff? Hmm. Sounds like they are trying to run less antisquat possibly. That would add some rear traction if I am understanding what your asking correctly. Got any pics?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=jzemaxx;8750209]
Originally Posted by FMLinero

Shimming the rear diff? Hmm. Sounds like they are trying to run less antisquat possibly. That would add some rear traction if I am understanding what your asking correctly. Got any pics?
i saw pics on buggy.it,dont know how to bring pics here
Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default Shimmed

[QUOTE=jzemaxx;8750209]

Tech Addict

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-d73ca494.jpg
Tech Adept

Default Rear

[QUOTE=jzemaxx;8750209]

Old 03-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

that was a big accomplishment for me
Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Mods like that are things that we honestly don't want the public to have to worry about at this time. It's one of those things that we want to test and if it's better we want to be able to make it an option, but one where the customer doesn't have to do any mods to accomplish it. This is what testing and improving a car are all about.

Me personally, (and I know I might get in trouble for this) I think there are some people out there who really enjoy tinkering with their cars. People who don't mind getting a kit where there are certain parts they can make for it or things they can do to mod it, people who just like to try everything and don't mind ruining a part in the name of testing. For those people I have no qualms telling them what we did so far. We basically shimmed the rear blocks and the front/Rear block (in other words the entire rear arm supports) up 2mm. To do this we also had to cut 2mm out of the front of the rear bulkhead where the Front/Rear block will get raised up into. This of course will require a new bulkhead if you decide to go back and don't like the change. (But I know some people don't mind and like the testing!)

So as I see it, if you want to get a feel for what it's like to be on the team and test something new and provide some feedback then I say go for it! I know some will enjoy the process as it's right up their alley. For those who don't want to potentially mess up their bulkheads or such please hold off on doing anything. If it is a change that we think warrants a permanent change it will be something that gets accomplished where the moding of parts isn't necessary. Just please please understand that this is all in the name of making a better car for everyone.

We have all only tried it on one track so far. The nitro pit. I think what we all agreed on was that it helped in the corners and smoothed out the rear end during steering. Possibly kept the rear more under control in the corners.

Again, much more testing is needed and on different tracks. Please understand that I'm putting my neck on the line to share this stuff and I hope the people on here are receptive enough to understand what it is that we are doing and to realize that it is part of the process that most other companies don't share with their customers.

-Lutzinator

Last edited by DRCRacer299; 03-05-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Ryan, I don't drive the Durango, and I think it is very cool of you to put this out there for public consumption. I think that if more teams did this for the average joe, they would be surprised with the results. I might not be the fastest driver, but I am pretty good taking a mod, testing it, and providing constructive feedback, as are a good majority of the racers out there.

I always figure that more feedback you have on a project, the better the end result.

Perhaps car technology would progress faster and better if more companies took this approach.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Awesome Explanation Ryan, We appreciate all the Inside info.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Hi everybody.

I bought the DNX408 about a month ago, and had a blast builing it. It's my first pro buggy, and I'm really looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Sunday will be my first outing with the car, and because of the weather I've only been able to put two tanks into the car in the local underground car park.

I've read this entire tread and listened to everything anyone had to say. I wanted a new buggy and what really got me on the Durango was the brilliant design. I've always been a sucker for good enginering.
To see this forum and the great feedback from Team Durango and team drivers alike, is just great.
And in that regard I need to give a huge shoutout to Ryan Lutz. I had a question regarding the Alpha engines, and he answered me with a thorough explanation of thier whole line of engines. Thanks alot!

I've taken alot of pictures during my build, and of my splash guard mod, but I can't post links yet. I will bring them as soon as I can.

I look forward to keep getting great info from this tread as well as adding my own.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

My Dingo!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dark
My Dingo!

i see thats no longer a dex408! gotta love that nitro!

rcallstickers makes some good wraps,how did you get good coverage? did you still paint a cover coat inside body? my first wrap from marcos came out okay,my first attempt.i'll post later.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Huleboer
Hi everybody.

I bought the DNX408 about a month ago, and had a blast builing it. It's my first pro buggy, and I'm really looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Sunday will be my first outing with the car, and because of the weather I've only been able to put two tanks into the car in the local underground car park.

I've read this entire tread and listened to everything anyone had to say. I wanted a new buggy and what really got me on the Durango was the brilliant design. I've always been a sucker for good enginering.
To see this forum and the great feedback from Team Durango and team drivers alike, is just great.
And in that regard I need to give a huge shoutout to Ryan Lutz. I had a question regarding the Alpha engines, and he answered me with a thorough explanation of thier whole line of engines. Thanks alot!

I've taken alot of pictures during my build, and of my splash guard mod, but I can't post links yet. I will bring them as soon as I can.

I look forward to keep getting great info from this tread as well as adding my own.
it is a very thought out , well engineered buggy.thats what hooked me also.

this buggy is so cool...............i bought a second one today
Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

hope my wife doesnt find out
Old 03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Mods like that are things that we honestly don't want the public to have to worry about at this time. It's one of those things that we want to test and if it's better we want to be able to make it an option, but one where the customer doesn't have to do any mods to accomplish it. This is what testing and improving a car are all about.

Me personally, (and I know I might get in trouble for this) I think there are some people out there who really enjoy tinkering with their cars. People who don't mind getting a kit where there are certain parts they can make for it or things they can do to mod it, people who just like to try everything and don't mind ruining a part in the name of testing. For those people I have no qualms telling them what we did so far. We basically shimmed the rear blocks and the front/Rear block (in other words the entire rear arm supports) up 2mm. To do this we also had to cut 2mm out of the front of the rear bulkhead where the Front/Rear block will get raised up into. This of course will require a new bulkhead if you decide to go back and don't like the change. (But I know some people don't mind and like the testing!)

So as I see it, if you want to get a feel for what it's like to be on the team and test something new and provide some feedback then I say go for it! I know some will enjoy the process as it's right up their alley. For those who don't want to potentially mess up their bulkheads or such please hold off on doing anything. If it is a change that we think warrants a permanent change it will be something that gets accomplished where the moding of parts isn't necessary. Just please please understand that this is all in the name of making a better car for everyone.

We have all only tried it on one track so far. The nitro pit. I think what we all agreed on was that it helped in the corners and smoothed out the rear end during steering. Possibly kept the rear more under control in the corners.

Again, much more testing is needed and on different tracks. Please understand that I'm putting my neck on the line to share this stuff and I hope the people on here are receptive enough to understand what it is that we are doing and to realize that it is part of the process that most other companies don't share with their customers.

-Lutzinator
Maybe you can do a step by step video to show the rest of us Durango guys how to properly do this. It will help the whole Durango team by allowing this new mod to be ran on all different tracks in a very short time and we all could put feedback on this or your site. I think this mod would cure most people problems with the loose rear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.