Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Some real quick info guys, I ran this at Motorama this past weekend,

I used all HotBodies fluids, ran 7-7-5 for the diffs, 600cst front shocks with Durango Orange Springs
550sct rear shock with Losi green springs, didn't have my rear springs yet, but if I did I would of ran the Blue rear springs that come in the option spring kit, not the stock blue springs and I had the B 1.4 pistons in.
I had the rear arms and hubs all the way forward and used the 1 deg hubs with 3deg toe in. The front arms were all the way forward and used the 14deg caster blocks with 1deg of toe out. I'm gonna try this same setup here at a local track that should be lose to see what it does.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

I drove the stock setup and agree that the rear was quite loose. Since then I have made a number of changes and have a setup posted on the Team Durango website. My goal is a fairly neutral car that is stable under most conditions. This will be my baseline setup that I can then modify based on the tracks I travel to.

CLICK HERE

I recently had the car out and made some minor tweaks to the setup you see there. I have lowered the rear ride height to 27mm (same as front) and I moved the rear hubs completely forward. (I just sent in an updated setup sheet to TD.)

This setup was not loose or tight at all to either myself, or one of our local "Top Guns" that test drove my 408. We both felt it was quite planted in the rear, even when throttling out of a corner. That said, my engine only has about a gallon through it and is still in the process of breaking in, so were were both driving fairly gingerly. As the engine breaks in and I can push the machine more I'm sure I'll make a few more setup tweaks.

The one thing we both noticed was just how much steering the 408 has. It's incredible! It really is like driving an on-road car. He mentioned that for most of the track he was only turning the wheel like 40% of its maximum travel. I noticed the same thing. You almost never have to turn the steerting wheel lock to lock and I really like that.

What I like the most about the 408 is how well it responds to setup changes. My Losi 8ight 2.0 often frustrated me in that I never could tune away the push the car exhibited. Instead I had to modify my driving around that aspect of the chassis. With the 408, I can make it handle the way I want. And the Losi was not as stable. It always seems on edge and at any moment, if you let your guard down or get slightly distracted, it can really bite you. The 408 exhibits none of this. It's very stable, neutral, and yet responsive at the same time.

At this time I couldn't be happier with my Durango. However, I have yet to race it. So take that for what it's worth.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Second request please

Can someone explain the measurments at the bottom of the setup sheet. Looks like its for the rear hubs for wheelbase. But all different sizes? Some say 4mm then 0mm or 2mm.Not the same for both sides?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FastPete
Second request please

Can someone explain the measurments at the bottom of the setup sheet. Looks like its for the rear hubs for wheelbase. But all different sizes? Some say 4mm then 0mm or 2mm.Not the same for both sides?

Thanks
Those are the measurements for the suspension spacers. When you look at the diagram be careful to note where the pointer line is going for each measurement. For instance, on the rear suspension there are four spacer measurements. The two on the top of the diagram are for the inner spacers placed over the inner hinge pin - one in front and one in back of the arm. The two measurements on the bottom of the diagram are for the outer spacers placed over the outer hinge pin, either in front of or behind the hub. The inner spacers will move the entire lower arm fore or aft in the chassis while the outer spacers will move the hubs fore or aft in the arm.

You generally have two thicknesses for these spacers - 1.0mm and 2.0mm. In my setup, if you look at my setup sheet, you'll see that I run a single 1.0mm inner spacer in front of the suspension arms and a single 2.0mm spacer behind the arms. For the hubs I'm running both 2.0mm spacers behind the hubs, thus placeing at total of 4.0mm of spacers behind the hubs with none in front of the hubs. Thus I'm running my hubs "full forward" to shorten the wheelbase and add rear traction. And of course it's expected that you'll set both sides up the same.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'll take a stab at it. If your talking about the boxes at the bottom/right of the setup sheet it is the spacing on the outer hinge pin by the hubs. I believe there is a total of 4mm. One box is for in front of the hub and the other is behind the hub. Should total 4mm. The boxes above the chassis are for the spacers on the inside hing pin. This spaces the whole arm not just the hub. Is this what you're asking?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Signal151
Those are the measurements for the suspension spacers. When you look at the diagram be careful to note where the pointer line is going for each measurement. For instance, on the rear suspension there are four spacer measurements. The two on the top of the diagram are for the inner spacers placed over the inner hinge pin - one in front and one in back of the arm. The two measurements on the bottom of the diagram are for the outer spacers placed over the outer hinge pin, either in front of or behind the hub. The inner spacers will move the entire lower arm fore or aft in the chassis while the outer spacers will move the hubs fore or aft in the arm.

You generally have two thicknesses for these spacers - 1.0mm and 2.0mm. In my setup, if you look at my setup sheet, you'll see that I run a single 1.0mm inner spacer in front of the suspension arms and a single 2.0mm spacer behind the arms. For the hubs I'm running both 2.0mm spacers behind the hubs, thus placeing at total of 4.0mm of spacers behind the hubs with none in front of the hubs. Thus I'm running my hubs "full forward" to shorten the wheelbase and add rear traction. And of course it's expected that you'll set both sides up the same.

Hope this answers your question.
It does thank you. Makes sense now I should have looked at it better.I feel dumb now...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gfj99
I'll take a stab at it. If your talking about the boxes at the bottom/right of the setup sheet it is the spacing on the outer hinge pin by the hubs. I believe there is a total of 4mm. One box is for in front of the hub and the other is behind the hub. Should total 4mm. The boxes above the chassis are for the spacers on the inside hing pin. This spaces the whole arm not just the hub. Is this what you're asking?
And thank you!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Found this on the Durango website:

Mates Rates for March!
Get together with a racing buddy and get your new buggies for the up-coming racing season at the same time. We’re offering a massive 10% discount on the purchase of two or more DNX408, DEX410 2010-Spec or DEX410R kits of the same type, until the end of March, but only while stocks last!

The offer is available directly from Team Durango and from Team Durango retailers around the world. Please contact your local Team Durango dealer to take us up on our offer
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

when will Team Durango make inserts with 2.5 / 2.75 rear toe?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dark
when will Team Durango make inserts with 2.5 / 2.75 rear toe?
Also 3.5
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Alright guys I need help setting up my ofna blue truggy box for my new 408. The rear pegs don't fit in between. The rear arms and the chassis. I saw someone post a pic a few pages back of his truggy box with a wrap on it. How did you get the rear to work?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

I used the rs peg only in the rear and put a hole in the plastic side piece. Works flawless.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Can you post a pic?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mmaattppllaayy
Alright guys I need help setting up my ofna blue truggy box for my new 408. The rear pegs don't fit in between. The rear arms and the chassis. I saw someone post a pic a few pages back of his truggy box with a wrap on it. How did you get the rear to work?

Here is a link to my original post you may be referring to.

Mud Guard Mod For OFNA Blue Box
Old 02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by strngdze
Here is a link to my original post you may be referring to.

Mud Guard Mod For OFNA Blue Box
Yep thats what I did but used one post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.