Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So how good is this buggy in the average racers hands??? I see Reno is doing good with it but he is on a different level than most of us. I need a very durable buggy that wont break easy.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by packerbacker
So how good is this buggy in the average racers hands??? I see Reno is doing good with it but he is on a different level than most of us. I need a very durable buggy that wont break easy.
its solid. and the parts that would break are easily and quickly replaced. cheaply priced parts.i really wish that they kicked the hop up stuff in high gear,i want to replace the arm that holds the throttle/brake arms with aluminum, and i emailed luns to request some TI turnbuckels and pins be done up. ive had many bugs and this one is one of my favorites. although almost every car ive seen after a run has a broken front bumper so stock up. an 10 bucks for arms is next to free. //////////////////hey frank l at or around page 75 you had said that your friend had filmed you running the buggy in practice whereas you were considering using thinner oils. do you have that video posted anywhere and what did you have in fluid wise that day? thanks, travis
Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by we go hard
its solid. and the parts that would break are easily and quickly replaced. cheaply priced parts.i really wish that they kicked the hop up stuff in high gear,i want to replace the arm that holds the throttle/brake arms with aluminum, and i emailed luns to request some TI turnbuckels and pins be done up. ive had many bugs and this one is one of my favorites. although almost every car ive seen after a run has a broken front bumper so stock up. an 10 bucks for arms is next to free. //////////////////hey frank l at or around page 75 you had said that your friend had filmed you running the buggy in practice whereas you were considering using thinner oils. do you have that video posted anywhere and what did you have in fluid wise that day? thanks, travis

At Disneyland this weekend but I'll put up a link later tonight. In the video Inwas running 15-10-5. Now I'm running 7-7-5 and it's much better.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc ace
Yes we do,i noticed you also use the orion MTE same as me,i love this motor its a rocket and good for 12+gallons easy.I just got two brand new one's for the dnx and will have two for the truggy when it comes witch i hope is soon(please hurry durango lol)
Totally with you man. I saw a MTE run awhile ago and had to have it... With the recent price drops on them it is time to stock up!

Fantastic motor!!! I am now thinking that it needs to go into the dnx...

Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank L
At Disneyland this weekend but I'll put up a link later tonight. In the video Inwas running 15-10-5. Now I'm running 7-7-5 and it's much better.
i have 7-7-5 now but havent driven it yet. say whats up to mickey for me yo, its been awhile. //////os speed ftw! FRANK im looking foward to watchin that vid. you west coast people have gnarly tracks.tonight here its 2 degress outside and and it snowed yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-121.jpg   Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-111.jpg   Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-007.jpg   Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-036.jpg   Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-047.jpg  

Last edited by we go hard; 01-21-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Adept

Well I *finally* got my Durango built to my specifications. (Yes I'm very anal.) And since I'm having a bout of insomnia so I'm going to share...

Below is a brief list of the things I changed from the stock build.

- Installed an Ascendancy steel effortless 4-shoe racing clutch instead of the stock Durango 3-shoe setup. I assembled it with two composite shoes with green springs and two aluminium shoes with gold springs. This should help to smooth out the gobs of low-end grunt that my Orion MTE has and help control wheel spin.

- I tried the Novarossi 41029 exhaust manifold, which has a tight bend and is made to fit in the Mugen, because I wasn't happy with the way the Orion manifold sticks out the side of the buggy and doesn't allow the body to sit flush. The engine compartment in the Durango is very tight. The Novarossi manifold solved that problem but then pushed the Orion 2013 pipe too far forward so that the end of the pipe was protruding out of the front of the sideguard, again not allowing the body to sit flush. Luckily, I decided to try the Losi manifold that came with my RE11 pipe and it worked just right. Since this setup causes the 2013 exhaust pipe to sit very close to the fuel tank, I added a layer of aluminium heat shield between the pipe and the tank. I also installed the TD290008 exhaust manifold support, which cradles the exhust manifold right where it attaches to the tuned pipe. It really helps to make the entire exhaust setup very solid and stable.

- I substituded the Losi 8B 2.0 composite brake rotors (LOSA3545) for the stock fiber Durango rotors. The Losi rotors are made out of a black, composite material with a higher coefficient of friction and oustanding wear characteristics. The brakes are smoother and more consistent and I expect them to remain that way, even during long mains. The Losi rotors are a direct fit on the Durango.

Everything else is pretty much the stock Durango. I'm using a JR z9100s servo for the throttle and a Savox SC-1256TG for steering. For now all I have is the plastic servo horn that came with the buggy so I guess we'll see how durable it is.

This weekend permitting I might actually get to complete the engine break-in. I sent in my initial setup sheet to TD so we'll see if they have it up on the site soon.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That is one sweet looking DNX408
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yes, very good looking.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

this car is unbalanced:

the front weight 1,450kg
the rear weight 1,900kg

Why? This concept is strange for modern buggy!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

F1 cars balance out at about 58% R/42% F. The rear is suposed to be heavier than the front, if you want good steering.

xe
Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxflo777
F1 cars balance out at about 58% R/42% F. The rear is suposed to be heavier than the front, if you want good steering.

xe
this concept is for 2WD or 1/10 with only 2 DIFF ......
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dark
this car is unbalanced:

the front weight 1,450kg
the rear weight 1,900kg

Why? This concept is strange for modern buggy!
Perfect compromise between traction, steering, and the ability to change direction. As said before, this will be deliberate as in F1.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Here's the video. I have posted it before and it's on a small indoor track. My dnx is kinda green on top and chrome on the sides. In this video the car has 15-10-5 and it pulls hard through the corners but it leaves the rear a little too loose for my liking.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That should work but if not here's a direct link. iPhone dosent do flash so I can't tell if it's right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmnJ2ubwBE

Enjoy
Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by packerbacker
I only got back into RC last June, initially with electric on-road, then with nitro buggies about 4 months ago. So I guess I qualify as average. Below even.

Today I raced the DNX at a race sponsored by the local distributor of GO Engines, and there were enough racers to fill two mains.

I was lucky enough to bump up from the B-main after 2 of the top finishers opted not to bump up to the A's, which put me last on the grid at 11th. After the 1-hour mains, I managed to finish in 6th, after having gone as high as 4th, but missing about 4 minutes when the retainer pin one the rear center diff came out. (my fault really, not having checked the tightness of the grub screw before the run)

Along the way I also managed to put in the single fastest lap of the day. Is this buggy good in the average racer's hands? --> HELL YEAH!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dark
this concept is for 2WD or 1/10 with only 2 DIFF ......
Absolutely not. And its not a "concept", its phisics.
1/10, 1/8, 1/1, 2wd, 4wd, 1diff, 3diff, no diff, oneways, etc. etc. etc.... that has nothing to do with ideal weight distribution for circuit racing.
The X axis has nohing to do with the Y axis, forward traction has nothing to do with side traction, 4wd and 2wd need the same weight distribution for circuit racing.
Ever driven a full scale fwd car? obvious front weight bias, how it understeers when its pushed?
xe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.