Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

[QUOTE=Frank L;8516497]
Originally Posted by waynej

Front preload is 5.3mm
Rear preload is 6.0mm

Heres a pic.

Looks like she need some cleaning. :P
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frank L
I tried double sided tape and the nitro fuel went right through it. So I drove a couple screws into the plastic mud guard and used the little 3x5 screws with a washer and it stays put.
Franck, have you mount the transponder almost direct on the chassis or mud guard on other car before ?
On the DNX i used some velcro to fix it on the mud guard, near the steering servo. But i wonder if it will suffer from vibrations or mud. (i'm not putting the car when there's too much rain/water anyway).
Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlymbx5
Franck, have you mount the transponder almost direct on the chassis or mud guard on other car before ?
On the DNX i used some velcro to fix it on the mud guard, near the steering servo. But i wonder if it will suffer from vibrations or mud. (i'm not putting the car when there's too much rain/water anyway).
It's screwed right to the mudguard.

Last edited by Frank L; 01-20-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McFly505
What a kick in the balz.....

30 days ago the 408 was $699.99

Today it is $619.99

Thanks Kendall
Got mine for .... including tax from my LHS over a month ago. Waldorf RC also has a great price on them. There was no way i was paying $700+ for this car, even though I now think it still would have been worth it.

Last edited by Jamison R; 01-20-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

No offense but Kendall doesn't set that price. He has to get them from HRP just like everybody else. HRP was VERY strict in the pricing structure with all sorts of demands on local hobbys shops as well as online retailers. If the price is now $619.00 it's because HRP lowered the MAP. Absolute still has them at $699.00. My guess is Chad will have that exact same price of $619.00 in a few hours.

Technically Debbies should not have sold that kit to you so cheap. Most every shop owner will wiggle some with walk in customers but those lowball prices shouldn't be aired. I had a local hobby shop offer me one for a slightly discounted price but I was threathend with a death by flogging if I told anyone the price.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by rdeppen
No offense but Kendall doesn't set that price. He has to get them from HRP just like everybody else. HRP was VERY strict in the pricing structure with all sorts of demands on local hobbys shops as well as online retailers. If the price is now $619.00 it's because HRP lowered the MAP. Absolute still has them at $699.00. My guess is Chad will have that exact same price of $619.00 in a few hours.

Technically Debbies should not have sold that kit to you so cheap. Most every shop owner will wiggle some with walk in customers but those lowball prices shouldn't be aired. I had a local hobby shop offer me one for a slightly discounted price but I was threathend with a death by flogging if I told anyone the price.
I had a 10% off deal for a Christmas promo they had. That deal is not available for every purchase. I had a feeling the price would drop, but had no idea this soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Signal151
I hear what you all are saying but that goes against my understanding of mechanics and my experience working with brake systems. Unlike most race vehicles, the Durango connects the front and rear brakes directly to one another via a single bias link. Most other vehicles, the Losi for instance, do not connect the brakes directly to one another; rather, each brake has an independent adjustable link to the throttle/brake horn. Thus, you can adjust one without adjusting the other.

When you adjust the Durango's bias link it changes which brake gets more or less of the servo's torque in relation to the other. The EPA setting only affects at what point the servo stops applying power, regardless of which brake is receiving more or less. Case in point, it's possible to lengthen the bias link so much that you wind up with zero rear brake. The front brakes are locked while the rear is still free-spinning. If the bias link only affected the front brake this would not be possible.
Now your on the right track.

The tuning window for brake bias is about 3/4-1 turn on the turnbuckle, assuming you have identical brake gap front and rear.

I set gap at .020" and in 3/4 turn i can go from all rear/no front, to all front/no rear.

It was confusing at first, having never dealt with that type of linkage, but after fiddling with it at the track, its actually a pretty genius arrangement, IMO.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdeppen

Point taken.

I had my wife order the car for me, and didn't get to see the invoice when it came in, nor have I looked at my acct @ A Main since then....

She was able to use the $75 coupon code....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

To much talk about the price. I've been told several pages back that this is a racing kit, and that the price isn't going to drop no matter what, so your all just hallucinating.
Back to the good, and bad about the ride...

Originally Posted by oggietiu
You could use an engine sealant like the lucky 7 sealant. Easy on easy off formula. I use that. You dont even have to take the servo apart just pour it on the gap of the servo which you think fuel can get into. I dont know how long it will last though. I retouch mine often.
Still not to sure whoever made the servo will be happy with the idea that you poured some (to them) unknown substance over the servo and then want them to honor a warranty. I'd go with plastidip, or similar, and if the servo dies, so be it, but still. Some people use servos that cost more then my whole radio kit... They would probably want to use a warranty.
B!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by McFly505
Now your on the right track.

The tuning window for brake bias is about 3/4-1 turn on the turnbuckle, assuming you have identical brake gap front and rear.

I set gap at .020" and in 3/4 turn i can go from all rear/no front, to all front/no rear.

It was confusing at first, having never dealt with that type of linkage, but after fiddling with it at the track, its actually a pretty genius arrangement, IMO.
At first I was quite confused as well. I had a heck of a time getting the bias the way I wanted it. It was a head-scratcher! My big "eureka" moment was when I realized what you pointed out above, that you must first make sure to set identical brake gap front and rear. Everything else then falls into place.

I like the brake system but I do have my concerns about how sensitive the bias adjustment setting is. As the brakes wear my fear is the Durango will naturally drift toward a neutral (50/50) brake bias much more rapidly than other buggies do. Only time will tell. The other, more tangible drawback is that I must now carry an additional wrench into the pits for brake bias adjustment. I can adjust my Losi's brakes by hand without removing the body.

I did modify my Durango's brakes by substituting the Losi 2.0 brake rotors for the fiber Durango rotors. They are a direct fit. The Losi 2.0 rotors are made out of a black, composite material that has a much higher coefficient of friction. In other words, they "grab" better and require less force to generate equal braking power. So they're also easier on the throttle servo. Furthermore, they have great wear characteristics.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Set-20-Updated
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think they will make a few running changes and this buggy will be awesome. Super great design just a few little odds and ends bothering people. Good thing there is this site for all to share there goods and bads
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by KingKarate757
Got mine for .... including tax from my LHS over a month ago. Waldorf RC also has a great price on them. There was no way i was paying $700+ for this car, even though I now think it still would have been worth it.

What sites have the lower price Waldorf does have the durango point me in the right direction cheapest place to buy please.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
What sites have the lower price Waldorf does have the durango point me in the right direction cheapest place to buy please.
Someone mentioned Absolute has them for 620, plus some other places are selling them cheap as well. Price will come down with time...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Price still looks the same everywhere online. HRP also still shows the same MAP.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Amain is the cheapest right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.