Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

pics?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

The Losi clutch is longer than the Durango clutch and does extend beyond the spur gear if you try to use it in the DNX408. I haven't tried to fiddle with car to get a Losi clutch working but I'm 90% you're not going to be able to. It's just too big.

Lutz uses the JVD clutches which I'm told are the same thing as the Ascendancy clutches. The 34 mm versions are supposed to be a direct bolt on fit in the 408. These are four shoe designs similar to the Losi but apparently more compact.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM

You are correct man. The bell is too long. My brother works at a machine shop and he is going to replicate the durango engine mount for me and tap the motormount bolts 2.3 mm towards the rear. I will see if this will work. If it does I will let you all know. I appreciate the feedback. - Ryan Bevil
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beagle32
You are correct man. The bell is too long. My brother works at a machine shop and he is going to replicate the durango engine mount for me and tap the motormount bolts 2.3 mm towards the rear. I will see if this will work. If it does I will let you all know. I appreciate the feedback. - Ryan Bevil
nice...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Lewis.

Some guys here moded the shock by using Ofna big bore pistons and turned the down, the way the buggy was dialed after that made me change from Mugen.

Come on TD talk to us?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mater
Thanks Lewis.

Some guys here moded the shock by using Ofna big bore pistons and turned the down, the way the buggy was dialed after that made me change from Mugen.

Come on TD talk to us?
this makes no sense (ofna big bore pistons and turned the down?) i understand ofna pistons but what is turned the down?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

a test you guys can do is take a piston and glue the hole shut assemble the shock without the cap and fill with oil then you can c how much oil is coming around the piston when you move it.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I really like this buggy but there are lots of little things that are wierd that worry me. I would love to hear some input from someone at TD.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc ace
this makes no sense (ofna big bore pistons and turned the down?) i understand ofna pistons but what is turned the down?
i think he is trying to say to install the ofna pistons upside down in the td shock body. but that is just a guess
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

or turned down on a lathe to make them smaller. I think ofnas are 16mm and Durangos are 15mm
Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Beagle32
Most likely you'll end up the carb boot not clearing the rear brakedisc or atlears excessive angle on the throttle linkage. Also I don't get it why people want to use LOSI clutch when there are a lot of better/equal options available that do not need modification ?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poinas2
Most likely you'll end up the carb boot not clearing the rear brakedisc or atlears excessive angle on the throttle linkage. Also I don't get it why people want to use LOSI clutch when there are a lot of better/equal options available that do not need modification ?
exactly what i was thinking.. why mod your vehicle to fit something when others work just fine... i'm confused
Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

While the stock clutch seems to work well, I was not happy with the mesh using the stock bell. Tried a Nova Plus 4, Ninja JX-21 and an OS Speed with every collet I could get my hands on, but I couldn't get the stock flywheel/bell combo to mesh right. I ended up using a Sportsworks bell to get the mesh/flywheel spacing I wanted. (Im referring to for/aft spacing. The bell sat to far forward, only engaging about half of the spur)

Anybody else have similar issues?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by McFly505
While the stock clutch seems to work well, I was not happy with the mesh using the stock bell. Tried a Nova Plus 4, Ninja JX-21 and an OS Speed with every collet I could get my hands on, but I couldn't get the stock flywheel/bell combo to mesh right. I ended up using a Sportsworks bell to get the mesh/flywheel spacing I wanted. (Im referring to for/aft spacing. The bell sat to far forward, only engaging about half of the spur)

Not here. With an Orion Alpha MTE and the stock flywheel and collet, the bell gears line up perfectly with the spur. I actually had to use a flywheel shim between the collet and the engine's front bearing to move the flywheel away from the engine some. Without the shim the flywheel will rub on my crankcase right where the carb attaches. With the shim the flywheel clears the crankcase and the fore/aft gearmesh is spot on.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McFly505

I have found a similar problem with the clutch bell when trying to use a fioroni clutch on a ninja engine. The problem seems to be how far the top part of the clutch bell sits out. You can't shim behind the bell as it moves too far of the shoes. Your only option is to to shim under the screw but then it takes a lot of shims and it is extremelly difficult to get enough play in the clutch bell.

Not sure how you oversome this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.