Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title. >

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That Ain't right....where did you purchase it from ?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, I was getting worried here. I will take it up with the agent in South Africa.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, I apologize I was under the impression some of the pistons people were recieving were too small by quite a bit more than one or two tenths of a mm. I'm not trying to belittle one or two tenths, I was just expecting more. Don't know why.

Good catch! Clearly I missed this when building mine.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Now you all have got me thinking that I should crack open one of my shocks and check it out. I think I'll take some measurements of my Losi pistons and shock bodies as well.

I can say this, once built the shocks seem to work as well as any others I've had. Getting them on the track might tell a different story however.

One the one hand if there is a larger outter gap allowing more flow around the piston, the shocks would require heavier fluid for the same level of dampening. On the other hand this might also give the TD shocks different "pack" characteristics v.s. other brands when using similar sized piston holes. With as much thought that was put into the design of this buggy, I would anticipate that the shock pistons are made this way by design, in some way to match the characteristics of the shock to the chassis and suspension geometry.

It would be nice to hear from TD on this though.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree totally. Would love to hear if this is a flaw or something they did. Also I have been looking over the set up sheets from the website and why is it they run such thick diff fluids????? I have been a diehard Mugen man and see they are running like 20,000 in front and center and 10,000 in the rear. That is wild to me for sure. If this buggy is made to take this thats cool. But thats a whole lot of action if it does.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ryan said about 10 or 15 pages back to drop the last 0 off the diff fluids. So it's really only 7k, 7k, 2k that's in the diff not 70k, 70k, 20k.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Yes but lutz also posted a setup sheet for an indoor track with 15-12-5. I don't think he met 1500-1200-500. I started with 15-12-5 and ended up closet what you have 7-7-5. The diffs are easy enough to change oil in. Mess with it until you like it.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

TD piston 14.81mm shock body 15.07mm on three different cars give or take 0.01mm or so. Losi piston 14.86mm dont have shock body to messure, though I could fit the losi pistons but the difference is to small.

I very much dought that it is ment to be this way the gap is to big and the holes in the piston are being mostly bypassed dew to the gap bewteen the piston and shock body.

Would be nice to see what TD have to say.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Yes but lutz also posted a setup sheet for an indoor track with 15-12-5. I don't think he met 1500-1200-500. I started with 15-12-5 and ended up closet what you have 7-7-5. The diffs are easy enough to change oil in. Mess with it until you like it.
yo frank....thats pretty dope that the pistons are smaller than the body!!!!!!!! ive never heard of that before
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

The Aluminum throttle mounts are done! I think I PM'd every one who wanted one back but if I missed you please PM me. They will ship out Sat.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

The build is awesome until...........THE RADIO TRAY, DAMM THIS SUCKS.

Please can someone post some pics on how the did the wiring from the front servo.The BLS 351 cable is to short to run along the transponder mount, can the wire just be loose next to the gearbox?
Also any mods to remove the battery without total disassembly.
With a Lipo, there is no space for heat protection the alu plate.
Pics will be nice
Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mater
The build is awesome until...........THE RADIO TRAY, DAMM THIS SUCKS.

Please can someone post some pics on how the did the wiring from the front servo.The BLS 351 cable is to short to run along the transponder mount, can the wire just be loose next to the gearbox?
Also any mods to remove the battery without total disassembly.
With a Lipo, there is no space for heat protection the alu plate.
Pics will be nice
gotta agree with you, i hate the radio tray aswell.

im also running bls351 servos and the cord is very tight.

what i did was loosely put a cable tie around the servo wire and the brake bias bar which just holds it away from the spur.

im also not running using the transponder mount which gives me a little more room for the servo wire, and have just taped the transponder to the side guard

i included a pic to show how my servo wire runs
Attached Thumbnails Durango DNX408 - Fast enough to win the World Title.-img_0566.jpg  
Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Ok so I removed and opened one of my front shocks. I don't have a digital caliper, so I had to estimate the measurement for the piston, but I'd say my measurements pretty much confirm those of Mater. Right at 15 mm for the I.D. of the shock bodies and about 14.8 - 14.9 mm for the shock piston.

That said I don't find the gap around the piston to be excessive.

Measuring my Losi shocks I get right at 15 mm for the I.D. of the shock body. The Losi pistons are ever-so-slightly larger at around 14.95ish mm. Stacking a Losi and a TD piston together confirms this as the Losi piston is a hair larger.

I then rebuilt my TD shock and loaded it with oil. I pumped the shock a few times without the bladder or cap in place to get some air bubbles in the oil. Watching the bubbles as I slowly moved the piston up and down, I can confirm that the vast majority of the oil travels through the piston holes as opposed to around the piston. Very few of the air bubbles were sucked around the piston. Most got sucked through the holes.

I ran the same experiment with my Losi shocks and got very similar results.

Just my $0.02... there is no problem here. Unless I hear otherwise from TD, I'm going to operate under the assumption that the fit of the pistons is engineered this way.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM

hey guys, I tried to install my NINJA with a losi clutch system on it and the teeth on the bell are not cut back far enough. I thought I read on here that someone was successful using the losi clutch system but mine will not work. Any suggestions? I only need to move the motor back about 2.5 to 3 mm, but cannot see a place within all the mounting hardware that I can get this much achieved. Please Help!!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default The shocks

Are awesome, The pistons are a bit sharp on the edges and need to be trimmed just a bit for smooth movement, but the action of the shocks are so good.

I used 40wt associated oil all round and 1.3 front an 1.4 rear just like the instructions, finally a kit setup that is dead on.....
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beagle32
hey guys, I tried to install my NINJA with a losi clutch system on it and the teeth on the bell are not cut back far enough. I thought I read on here that someone was successful using the losi clutch system but mine will not work. Any suggestions? I only need to move the motor back about 2.5 to 3 mm, but cannot see a place within all the mounting hardware that I can get this much achieved. Please Help!!!!!
I had exactly the same problem as I run a Ninja with the fioroni clutch. You will need to take the rear brace with a dremmel and remove part of the front of the brace. I got a little carried away with the dremmel and took a bit too much off. The brace really only needs the two screws with the nuts to hold it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.