Wiki Posts
Search

Tire compound vs outside temp

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Tire compound vs outside temp

Just wondering when some of you are switching tire compounds due to the change in temp. In the summer here I can use med compound, but when should I switch to using a softer compound. Is there a certain temp where you change?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You know I have heard a lot about changing tire compounds due to the ambient temp rising but they doesn't really work here in florida. If we followed that strategy we would be running XTR's all the time but we usually go the other way using M3's, Softs, and Blues.

I think you need to look more at the balance of Tire Wear Vs. Traction and what our overall trying to achieve, if that makes sense. if your burning off a set of soft tires in one run just to be fast or running a little harder tire so they last at the sacrifice of traction.

I know Pro-Line has on their website a good guide for Temp V compound
Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by punkracer24
You know I have heard a lot about changing tire compounds due to the ambient temp rising but they doesn't really work here in florida. If we followed that strategy we would be running XTR's all the time but we usually go the other way using M3's, Softs, and Blues.

I think you need to look more at the balance of Tire Wear Vs. Traction and what our overall trying to achieve, if that makes sense. if your burning off a set of soft tires in one run just to be fast or running a little harder tire so they last at the sacrifice of traction.

I know Pro-Line has on their website a good guide for Temp V compound
i was more talking about goin from 90's and humid in the summer to 50's in the fall. maybe even some 40's
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Good rule of thumb, unless you're a sponsored driver and get tires free....

Above 80-85 deg. F = med / M2 / yellow (JConcepts)
Below 80 = soft/ M3 / Blue
Once you get down to the 40's or below, start looking at Super soft / M4.

If tire wear is not a concern, you can run a softer compound for traction, but you have to watch for the tire getting too hot in a long main. If that happens, your car can start getting unpredictable. What I listed is a.good compromise between tire wear and performance. The tread pattern will obviously have an impact on wear as well.