Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
best way to clean clutch bell bearings? or any bearings in general? >

best way to clean clutch bell bearings? or any bearings in general?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best way to clean clutch bell bearings? or any bearings in general?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Default best way to clean clutch bell bearings? or any bearings in general?

hi there,

last week the clutch bell bearings on my losi 8ight gave up on me and the clutch bell nearly drilled a hole through my fuel tank. what would cause the bearings to give up? i have got some spares but how do people recommend cleaning clutch bell bearings for a losi 8ight?

i though of removing the covers and cleaning with brake cleaner then applying some oil then putting the seals back on, but is that a good method?

another question, all the bearings on my losi 8ight are in need of a service. but what is the best way to clean bearings?

many thanks

lewis
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I chunk mine, at a buck a piece it's not worth the hassle or chance of not finishing a main.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lewis666
hi there,

last week the clutch bell bearings on my losi 8ight gave up on me and the clutch bell nearly drilled a hole through my fuel tank. what would cause the bearings to give up? i have got some spares but how do people recommend cleaning clutch bell bearings for a losi 8ight?

i though of removing the covers and cleaning with brake cleaner then applying some oil then putting the seals back on, but is that a good method?

another question, all the bearings on my losi 8ight are in need of a service. but what is the best way to clean bearings?

many thanks

lewis
1- disassemble clutch assembly
2- take bearing out
3- throw bearing in the bin
4- insert new bearing in
5- reassemble clutch.

This assumes you've stocked 5x10x4's at the beginning of the season, of course.

that's the best clutch bearing maintenance method I've come across

Paul
Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Or go with TKO special clutch bearings. Talk about longevity and having confidence that you will not blow a bearing during a race. Yep they are worth it.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Minimal play and proper gear mesh will go a long way with clutch bearing life. Typically, when clutch bearings go bad, they'll usually disintegrate into a few pieces all over the track.

Other bearings on the car last longer. I will pull both seals off, clean with degreaser, install one seal, spray with CRC Dry Lube, let them sit for a bit, then install the other seal.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Bearings

I agree with throwing the bearings away. I don't like to but, the only alternative is to clean them. IF you are going to do this, I would suggest to find a quality bearing with a rubber seal to keep out the clutch dust. At least every weekend take the clutch apart and check the bearings. If crunchy, throw away. Otherwise, wipe the inside of he clutch out. IF material is in the clutch bell, use a scotty brite pad and clean out the bell. I suggest not using Metal shielded bearings as too much dirt can easily get into them.

These bearing do take a beating. TKO has apparently a clutch bearing especially made for this. I have a pair, but, have not yet tried them. Nitro season is over for me. Cars are basically put away til next year.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

many thanks for the replies,

i have a set of unused losi clutch bearings but should i take the seals off an give them a clean before i put them in my clutch bell?

many thanks

lewis
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

many thanks for the replies,

i have a set of unused losi clutch bearings but should i take the seals off an give them a clean before i put them in my clutch bell?

many thanks

lewis
Nope, you don't need to do anything. Just install and go win.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by l3asher
I chunk mine, at a buck a piece it's not worth the hassle or chance of not finishing a main.
Exact same thing I do. Bearings are so cheap it's better to keep what you use regularly on hand and just replace'em every couple of races.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

hi there,

many thanks

lewis
Bearings are a buck each, the best way to clean them is to chuck em.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Agree with the above. Bearings are now cheap. 15-20 years back, they were not. Back then, we used to remove shields, spray with brake cleaner, soak in oil, put the shields back in and hope to get another 2 races out of them.

Now, I call BOCA, use one of the many GC's I have, and tack 10 on with an order of rubber shielded or engine bearings.

If you must clean and reuse bearings, a cheap Harbor freight ultrasonic is the easiest. turn on, drop in and come back 20 min later, blow off with air and re-oil. Plus, the ultrasonic can be used for all sorts of stuff...Cleaning engine parts, cleaning diff housings, cleaning firearms...and cleaning the wife's wedding band.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For clutch bearings-just replace them every 1/2 gallon or every other race day.

Drive train bearings- I will soak them in cleaner and spin them in the cleaner untill they don't feel gritty, then I will oil them with bearing oil. I will do that 2 to three times, then they get replaced with new. I do bearings and diffs every 1/2 gallon of fuel. I use the avid revolutions with the yellow seal towards the dirt- I've never had one come apart.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Initiate

My advise...
Replace them all! If you add the money you will spend on traveling, race fee, tires, fuel, etc and after spending hours working on your car you step out of a race due to a burned bearing you will see that replacing all of them for brand new is the way to go.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking engine

Lewis666 - In your avitar, is that a Radical engine I detect??

How do you like it??

Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

the tko's are ABSOLUTELY the BEST clutch bearings that you will find for the losi...
front
http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=399
rear
http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=402

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.