Search

How to start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by patmyas1
I would like to build.
well if your a newbie and want to build one, myself......would try to find a nice rtr on here and just tell them to take it apart before they send....LMAO!. would hate for you to spend 800.00 to 1500.00 on a good race buggy and not like it.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patmyas1
I would like to build.
Then you have a lot of options, Hotbodies d8, Mugen MBX6, Associated RC8, to name a few! The Losi 2.0 is good but comes as a roller, so it's already assembled but with no electronics or engine! You can't go wrong with any of those brands. Pick the one you can get parts for at your local hobby shop and start building!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

C'mon guys... we can do better... let's spec out the ultimate buggy! Would be an interesting list for sure.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Originally Posted by melonpeel
C'mon guys... we can do better... let's spec out the ultimate buggy! Would be an interesting list for sure.
+1 lets drain his wallet
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

A budget would help with suggestions

Out of your list I'd go Losi for sure...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jomo918
The Losi 2.0 is good but comes as a roller
but my eu i just got was a kit and so nice and a cool tool kit. why i had to import is a huge ? seems a no brainer. but whateva mines rare and i like it that way. ok brag rant over
Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)

IMO don't buy a rtr they are a waste of money, buy a quality kit that you can get parts for from your local hobby shop. Then buy good electronics and a decent engine and you'll be set from the start
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tiggertrucks
IMO don't buy a rtr they are a waste of money, buy a quality kit that you can get parts for from your local hobby shop. Then buy good electronics and a decent engine and you'll be set from the start
I voted for the Losi RTR at first but I believe this is the correct answer. I wish I would have started with a kit. Even if it took me longer to get up and running. It would have been worth it...

Build your own and remember... Locktite is your friend.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Do-Over
I voted for the Losi RTR at first but I believe this is the correct answer. I wish I would have started with a kit. Even if it took me longer to get up and running. It would have been worth it...

Build your own and remember... Locktite is your friend.
everybody wishes they would have started with a kit but the down side is when you're new to the hobby you don't want to wait you just want to run. I say get a kit, quality servos(try savox inexpensive and great specs), quality engines(OS,Werks,Nova,RB).
Old 10-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From personal experience, in order to start racing you just have to do it. Get yourself a kit and a few extra parts that you think might get damaged or what you think are possible weak points of the kit you buy, and go out there and give it a shot. After a few races you'll get a little more comfortable as to how things are run and you can prepare better each week.

And be personable, make friends at the track and it makes racing that much more fun. There are alot of great people in our hobby and they are always willing to help out if you have questions.

One thing to look for before buy a car is see what the track supports, makes it easier to get parts while your there especially if you keep breaking the same part and you exhaust your stash.

The other thing to is get alot of practice. I personally went to the track two or three times before I decided I was actually going race. This helped because I got use to the track before the race day and I didn't feel like I was in the way of anyone.

And the key is to just have fun. That's why you got into the hobby in the first place. Unless your going to be the next big thing or do this for a living it's all about having fun.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well you got the right idea in mind on what to look for. NEVER BUY RTR i can care less what people say even about the 2.0 rtr it still needs way better servos and reciver pack to last a long main or a day. Also look into the new hot bodies coming out the hara edition it will be under the prices of all these ur looking at but the o donnell and it comes completly upgraded down to aluminum hubs and spindles, light weight parts and chassis also has Haras pro championship set up put on it! The price will be set at about 400. As for engines v-spec is turning out dated i would look into Dynamite xpe, alpha, novarossi, orion.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

patmyas1, what track(s) do you plan on racing at? go there, count what are the most numerous brand and what wins that day. then go buy that one....

When your a beginner, setup help and parts is alot easier if your running a similar chassis.

As for motors, novarossi n21bf, cheap and will last. by the time you figure out what your doing, a new motor will be in order at that point.

Radio? go ahead and splurge. whatever is most comfortable in your hands. all that matters.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Here goes, best values for the money in my opinion. I'm a competitive racer who has raced several manufacturers cars.

Hotbodies D8-Really cheap right now with the Hara edition coming out, very competitive parts are cheap in comparison to other models, fit and finish is good, you can spend a little more for the Hara edition which will be out in November time frame but thats personal preference.

Xray 808-Possibly the nicest build you will ever do, buggy handles well but parts support usually consists of ordering online and parts are expensive.

Mugen MBX6-Buggy is very easy to drive, durable, parts are cheaper than xray but still a little on the pricey side unless you buy on ebay.

Kyosho-Never personally ran one and at there current price I won't anytime soon as they are considerable more expensive and I've yet to see one dominate anywhere that would make me consider spending an extra $300-$400 over the above named kits.

Losi-I've driven a friends and it just wasn't for me, lots of guys run them with great success and parts usually are available at any hobby shop.

As for the remainder- Werks motors are a excellent value for the money and seem to have the quality to back it up even at there low price.

Hitec servos are the only ones I will run anymore, very tough and a excellent warranty should you need it.

Kopropo radio-I've ran almost all and this has proven to be the most comfortable trouble free radio I've owned.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

If you have the money to get a good set up, then do that. LOSI RTR is good, but its not Race Roller.

As a new guy, I would probley look at getting a ride that has good, easy, and quick support. Losi has plenty of support at MOST tracks in the Untied States of America.

All of the manufactures are good but its just the support. I would say Losi, Mugen or AE, to be honest.

The only thing Im one sided with is servos....... dont go cheap no matter what people say. You want HITEC 7955 or 7950 / 7940 servos... THEY ARE THE BEST....

Everything else you will get 7000000000000000 opinions so you will just need to get what YOU want.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Even thought both my Truggy and Buggy are Losi vehicles, i think the Hoy Bodies D8 would be a great fit for you. The cars look great, and I have heard nothing but good about them. I haven even tossed the idea of selling my 2.0 buggy and truggy for one and converting it over once the new Tekno electric conversions are released next month.

Take a look and I would go to a local track and see what everyon in your area likes as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.