Wiki Posts
Search

tools, set-up kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default tools, set-up kits

Getting into 1/8 off-road nitro. What tools can you all recommend to start acquiring? I was on the Hudy website and they had all kinds of crap. But I mean bags, wrenches, sizes of whatever tool it may be, set-up kits, power tools, anything... whatever it may be please fill me in!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ironpeddler
Getting into 1/8 off-road nitro. What tools can you all recommend to start acquiring? I was on the Hudy website and they had all kinds of crap. But I mean bags, wrenches, sizes of whatever tool it may be, set-up kits, power tools, anything... whatever it may be please fill me in!!
To start, a good set of hex wrenches, nut drivers, slotted and philip screwdrivers, turnbuckle tool, glow plug wrench, flywheel wrench, flywheel puller...

If you are painting your own shell the you need need lexan scissors, body reamer, etc...
Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Add in needle nose pliers, wheel wrench, snips, and something big enough to hold a flywheel while you tighten/loosen the clutch nut.

And an organizer zip up pouch works wonders too. Keeps ya nice and organized.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
To start, a good set of hex wrenches, nut drivers, slotted and philip screwdrivers, turnbuckle tool, glow plug wrench, flywheel wrench, flywheel puller...

If you are painting your own shell the you need need lexan scissors, body reamer, etc...
This is all what you need.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

A good tool box is nice to have as well. You can get by with a Stanley plastic tool box from Home Depot, but most RC folks have traditionally used a Plano tackle box.

Recently however, PDY has introduced the Lift-N-Lok. I've got one of these, and I really like it. It's big enough to hold all the tools you'd ever really need, but still small & light enough to carry to the track with no problems. Here's a link

Don't get too caught up on the big name tools, unless you've got some cash burning a hole in your pocket. I've got a set of Hudy ball end drivers that I picked up on here for a really good deal (I couldn't see paying full price for a set), but right next to those I've got a set of Dynamite nut drivers, and they work just fine.

Now, with that being said, if you're going to spend the money on good hand tools, the hex drivers are indeed where you'd start. The cheaper ones can sometimes not fit as well, and the mat'l is a bit softer which can make them round over sooner. The higher priced ones generally fit better and last longer.

For nut drivers, screwrdrivers, pliers, etc...any brand will work. I've found some really good bargains at Harbor Freight.... Just start little by little, and if you find that your missing something, go buy it.

My rule of thumb is this....if I borrow something twice, it generally means that I have a need for it, so I go buy it.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

O yea I forgot 2 very important additions. Camber gauge and a set of vernier calipers!