R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Blown out track...... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/442946-blown-out-track.html)

merdith6 10-13-2010 12:44 AM

Blown out track......

Most of the bigger races have so many cars on the track that the track gets let go so to speak to do whatever.

The surface gets dry, and the looser dirt gets pushed aside creating a pretty tough track to race on. The surface turns hard packed similar to clay and it's dusty and slippery combined with bumpy conditions that are difficult to prepare for and to drive smoothly.

Any tips for setup, tires, and driving style that may help.

I know that going to a smaller pin tire helps.

For example. I may start the day with I beams, or calibers or city blocks when the track is watered or not because it's easier to get traction..

As the day goes on I may try the revolvers if the track is dry and a bit harder packed than usual, they are a great intermediate tire. By the time the main comes around it seems nothing really works great. In club racing or smaller races the track would be damp because of the air or a slight wattering or both, and that's the best main, but in the bigger races it's just really tough to keep up for me when it's go time and the track is beaten and dry...

I might try the gridirons just to see what happens before the main and see if they work better than the bigger pattern tires....

What do you guys think???

porkchop 10-13-2010 12:51 AM

crossbraces

take some droop out of your car and have fun

NitroXray80809 10-13-2010 06:24 AM

The condition is called blue groove. I would say if its gets bad you will see people running hole-shots, enduros. Basically small pin tires or more like less agressive tread. Also if it is a big race and ur not running with the pros or intermediates etc, watch them and see the fastest guys line and run it. Normally the track will get all rutted up but where the line is. If you tend to get out of line you will notice the car kicking from hittin chunks of dirt and debree.

token 10-13-2010 06:29 AM

Hey bud, its up to you. I would say get there early and set up to the track. I konw I asked for setup advice from on the pro guys one race and he made all kinds of adjustments on my truck. Not saying he didnt know what he was doing, but that was one of my worst races ever. The point is, that how HE would setup HIS truck, but not how I like it.

So I say, go and play with your set ups. I love AKA tires and in this situation I like soft Cityblocks, but I also like Proline Revolver ( i thinks its called ).

tc5 man 10-13-2010 08:20 AM

if the track, is rough and rutty and dry to me city blocks dont work good on a buggy or a truggy at least when they have miles on them use i-beams so it can dig into the loose dirt .

thats what one guy that runs in a pro truggy class at my track told me to do.

awdcameolsx 10-13-2010 10:09 AM

Sweep exegons in silver compound are the hot ticket for blown out tracks. they have a deep tread allowing them to dig and clear out better then a caliber. The silver compound is also nice and soft and will hook up great on dry hardpack. As far as ruts try messing with the camber a little so you dont catch the ruts as hard.

mcion 10-13-2010 03:44 PM

I went to Mike's to practice the day after the HARC race and the track was still dry and torn, Bowties seem to work well for me on my 808. I tried calibers and was sliding all over

Madbrad 10-13-2010 03:49 PM

Getting the right tire is 80% of a good setup. Liek some one else said, see what the fast guys are running and use that. If you dont have a set run somethign close. If its a large pin, use a large pin tire that you have.

PMDRC 10-13-2010 06:27 PM

Less Antisquat, more front caster, and limit the droop