Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How to start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy >

How to start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy

How to start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy

Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default How to start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy

As you may have already guessed, I just joined this forum, with the hope of acquiring enough knowledge so that I can start racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy. Aside from dabbling with those Cox planes a number of years ago, this is all new to me. Can someone point me in the right direction, so that I can start researching which buggy, engine, servos and radio to get.

From briefly reading some of the posts, i see the following brands may be popular:

Buggy:
O'Donnell Z01B-SG
Kyosho MP9
Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggy

Engines:
O'Donnell SS.21
Alpha
Go
OS V-Spec

Servos:
Futaba
High-Tec
JR

Radios:
Futaba
Spektrum
Airtronics.

Thanks,

Patrick Myas
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

get a 2.0 losi rtr and have some fun
Old 10-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I hate to say it but the Losi 8 2.0 is probally THE best total package on the market. unless you want a kit then it all depends on your budget and what your LHS carries.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by koopesv
I hate to say it but the Losi 8 2.0 is probally THE best total package on the market. unless you want a kit then it all depends on your budget and what your LHS carries.
+1

Losi is the only way to go if going RTR. If you want a kit, the possibilities become endless.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

the losi 810 is what you need
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

It would be easier for everyone to give you some suggestions if you would provide your racing budget, buggies range from $300 to $800, those prices reflect rtr buggies to full blown race kits so if you would give a idea of what your looking for that would help..
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Just take your time and keep readin, otherwise you will get alot of one guys favorites over anothers. there is no question you may have that isnt already posted here somewhere. good luck and let us know your choices
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As a rookie i would highly recommend the losi 8ight 2.0. The reason is because you can either buy the rtr or race roller so you have plenty of options. If you really want to do it right and have a few extra bucks then go race roller. But regardless the parts are a dime a dozen and can be bought on ebay for 1/4 of the price you'd pay at a hobby shop. Also theres a ton of youtube videos by losi featuring adam drake. He is Losi's top professional driver and has a ton of experience and useful info. Theres videos explaining nearly everything you'd ever need to do to your buggy in detail with nice tips along the way. From building shocks, to filling the diffs, balancing wheels, etc its all there. Also theres loads of setup sheets you can download on losi's website. All in all its just going to be cheaper, easier and the end result will be you will enjoy the hobby much more without the frustration. Plus parts are plentiful at just about any hobby shop, so if the track you frequent has a store chances are you'll be in luck.

The rtr can be upgraded to race roller specs over time. I just spent about $250 to complete the conversion on mine, and that included about $30 in parts i didn't need but wanted to replace just because i was changing out so many other things.

If you figure that the rtr can be had for about $450 new (various websites) or even $350 if you find a good deal, then add the $250 worth of parts to convert it, you are still under the MSRP of what you'd pay at a local hobby shop.

But thats my opinion. I'm more than happy with my rides and couldn't dream of owning anything else.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If you have a little knowledge in building cars it would be better to piece a kit together, and choose parts you like, but if your not confident in doing that just get one of the top name brand rtr buggies and upgrade as needed. Thats how I did it and you learn a lot along the way. Good luck and have fun
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fukitol
get a 2.0 losi rtr and have some fun
+1

You can hit the track to play around a couple hours after you bring it home. Then you can start adding upgrades over time and build up your wrenching skills.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

go to you local hobby shop c what they stock its nice to know you can get a part off a self rather then ordering.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm a hotbodies fan, but for someone getting into the hobby, the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR is by far the best way to go. You get everything in one package and you can be competitive right out of the box.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow, I cant believe all of the feedback received so far. I should have stated a budget in my original post. As for a budget, I can really spend whatever I want to. Im more concerned about getting quality products. That ole addage "you get what you pay for" really works for me.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patmyas1
Wow, I cant believe all of the feedback received so far. I should have stated a budget in my original post. As for a budget, I can really spend whatever I want to. Im more concerned about getting quality products. That ole addage "you get what you pay for" really works for me.
Then the next question, do you want to build or buy built?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I would like to build.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.