Search

diff help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default diff help

i just did my diff oils...in my 808
did 5 5 1

i sat it on my j concepts stand and turned on of my front wheels as we all do.

and i noticed that the other wheel turned the same way... usally it turns oposite way

is that bad or what? how can i fix it if its wrong...
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

try spinning it with no brakes applied and see if it spines with out going the other way and then apply brakes it should spin the other way if not then maybe theres a prob
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mp9er
try spinning it with no brakes applied and see if it spines with out going the other way and then apply brakes it should spin the other way if not then maybe theres a prob
with brakes applied it spins the oposite way like it should. but when brakes arnt apply'd it spins the same way as im turning... if i do it to anyone elses buggy it will spin the oposite way like normal
Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

You might have over filled the diffs a bit, or its just the new oil!

I would say run the car for a tank then check again! I would say that it will be fine after a tank!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ryWA
You might have over filled the diffs a bit, or its just the new oil!

I would say run the car for a tank then check again! I would say that it will be fine after a tank!
i thought the same thing... but it wasnt that! mybe overfilled though... mybe...
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

When you pull the diff out i would strip it down fully, and check the out drives turn freely in the sockets check your orings, just go through and clean everything give it a good check then stick it back together and see if that helps!

On my old xray XB8 i had the front diff feel all messed up and it turned out that it was from a lack of lube on the outdrive where it goes into the diff, it could be many things that is why i say to strip it down, clean, re oil and re lube then put her back together!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ryWA
When you pull the diff out i would strip it down fully, and check the out drives turn freely in the sockets check your orings, just go through and clean everything give it a good check then stick it back together and see if that helps!

On my old xray XB8 i had the front diff feel all messed up and it turned out that it was from a lack of lube on the outdrive where it goes into the diff, it could be many things that is why i say to strip it down, clean, re oil and re lube then put her back together!
everything is new in the diff itselfi lubed up my orings etc too. when i pull the diff and turn my outdrive the other will turn oposite easly
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I would say if it all spins smooth put it on the ground for a tank. You have it all together right from what it sounds and xray only allows you to put ur diff in ur case only 1 way so see what it does on the ground.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
I would say if it all spins smooth put it on the ground for a tank. You have it all together right from what it sounds and xray only allows you to put ur diff in ur case only 1 way so see what it does on the ground.
am thinking i overfilled the diff. however once i sort my blowen up clutch bearings an deformed clutch i will see how it goes!

i sence a big rebuild happening very shortly car hasnt had much replaced on it in the last year... im sure its due for some new a arms etc, for 2 year old drive cups... no wear on them... that has to be saying something

i guess my clutch bearings lasted awhile... they've been in there since before xmas!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
am thinking i overfilled the diff. however once i sort my blowen up clutch bearings an deformed clutch i will see how it goes!

i sence a big rebuild happening very shortly car hasnt had much replaced on it in the last year... im sure its due for some new a arms etc, for 2 year old drive cups... no wear on them... that has to be saying something

i guess my clutch bearings lasted awhile... they've been in there since before xmas!!!
Yeah xray does have quality, my old xray is owned by a friend and he did a rebuild, the right a arm was so warped but not broke it wasnt even funny lol.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Addict

i tryed doing the diffs again, with same results...
anyone got any idea?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:43 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hmm sounds normal to me. There should not be enough drag in the driveline
(unless you apply the brakes) to diff out 5000wt fluid. I think what your seeing in other cars is a combo of worn bearings and old fluid.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Prophet

check and see if your wheel hub bearings and the axles are gritty my did the same thing as you on my eight-t .
Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

oops
Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just went through my mbx6,complete bearing replacement,shock and diff oils. 5,5,2 and it does the same thing. but, with the slightest amount of drag on driveline it will spin the other direction. i think you are fine.