Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8T 2.0 Shock/Ride Height >

8T 2.0 Shock/Ride Height

8T 2.0 Shock/Ride Height

Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 8T 2.0 Shock/Ride Height

I was just setting the ride height on my 8ight 2.0 truggy and noticed to get the rear 40-42mm high that the adjustment nuts have to be nearly all the way at the bottom of the threaded shock body. I mean only a couple threads are left (2-4) on the shock body when adjusted to where it needs to be. Is this normal? Its not that way on my buggy.

Also i noticed one side of the truggy or buggy sits just a shade lower than the other. Should i adjust the shocks so the chassis is even? It seems like one side needs to be several threads higher than the other to compinsate the difference.

I'm going by adam drakes setup sheets and the various setup sheets off the losi website as a reference. I just want a decent baseline to start my tuning on various tracks i plan on visiting over the fall and winter as racing moves indoors in this area. So i figure if i start with the standard setups and deviate from that as nessissary, it'll give me a good baseline to get me headed in the right direction.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
I was just setting the ride height on my 8ight 2.0 truggy and noticed to get the rear 40-42mm high that the adjustment nuts have to be nearly all the way at the bottom of the threaded shock body. I mean only a couple threads are left (2-4) on the shock body when adjusted to where it needs to be. Is this normal? Its not that way on my buggy.

Also i noticed one side of the truggy or buggy sits just a shade lower than the other. Should i adjust the shocks so the chassis is even? It seems like one side needs to be several threads higher than the other to compinsate the difference.

I'm going by adam drakes setup sheets and the various setup sheets off the losi website as a reference. I just want a decent baseline to start my tuning on various tracks i plan on visiting over the fall and winter as racing moves indoors in this area. So i figure if i start with the standard setups and deviate from that as nessissary, it'll give me a good baseline to get me headed in the right direction.
if both adjustment nuts are even on the shock bodys and one side is higher then you most likely have a bent hinge pin, also your a arms could be warped.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by losi_racer
if both adjustment nuts are even on the shock bodys and one side is higher then you most likely have a bent hinge pin, also your a arms could be warped.
I just checked the pins when i rebuilt the diffs this last week, they seemed fine. I don't think the a-arms are warped, but i'll have to double check. What do you think about the nuts being at the bottom of the threads to get the right ride height? Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
I just checked the pins when i rebuilt the diffs this last week, they seemed fine. I don't think the a-arms are warped, but i'll have to double check. What do you think about the nuts being at the bottom of the threads to get the right ride height? Thanks
thats no big deal, ride height will be affected by numerous different things which will make you raise and lower the preload on the springs
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

All springs aren't made the same, every spring is different and some are more extreme than others. Therefore, the spring collars aren't always going to be in the exact same spots, but they should be relatively close. If the weight is distributed evenly and the amount of tension is the same on all four corners, then run it.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok cool, i'm wondering if the reason it was off balance is due to not having fuel in the tanks. They both seemed to be leaning twords the side without the fuel tank. I wonder if i add fuel if that levels it back out. Its just a hair higher on 1 side of both my buggy and truggy. I mean literally its less than .1-.2mm, which is probably not noticable by most people but i've been trained to notice even the smallest of differences over the years due to various jobs and tasks i've completed.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

In fact if i posted a picture i can guarantee noone would spot the difference, its really that small of a difference. Guess i was being too picky, no biggie though
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
+1, also may have a weak spring.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Prophet

inferno you have a pm by me.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

I do have some new springs i might be able to throw on it. I'll give that a try. I wasn't even thinking the spring could be worn, but its worth a look.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

was the car full of fuel?

the weight balence of the truggy isnt perfect. the weight of the fuel can balence out the chassis
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I filled em both with fuel and that seemed to straighten it out for the most part. I didn't think fuel would make that much of a difference, but i guess it does. I also found my ride height gauge wasn't 100% correct on its readings. I used my digital calipers to find out exactly where i needed to be and it was about .5 mm - .8mm off each time on the high side.