Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
engine size help >

engine size help

engine size help

Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default engine size help

ok so im not completly new to this but still kinda a noob. so i have had my gt for a couple years and have a few questions. i started with a .15 motor and it blew and bought a nother .15 its actually the one that comes on the rtr gt. now, im confused with these engines out there. what is bigger/faster, it it the lower the number or the higher. i always thought the picco .12 was a killer but latly im seeing like .18 being used on alot of gts and they whole seriuos butt. so my question is what motor would be fast.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

i take it you are talking about the RC10 gt? those are great trucks!...it doesnt really matter the size motor in those trucks!...it just matters the make of motor and HP and RPM ratings!...more HP and more RPMs is what you want in those trucks!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

yes i am talking about the rc10gt. well my question still stands as is. like i guess what im asking is what would be faster a .12 or a.18, i cant figure out what it goes by like if the lower the number the faster or the higher the faster.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)

Originally Posted by gt fast
yes i am talking about the rc10gt. well my question still stands as is. like i guess what im asking is what would be faster a .12 or a.18, i cant figure out what it goes by like if the lower the number the faster or the higher the faster.
lower = slower. your stadium trucks like your rc10gt would like the .12 or the .18. if you are looking to race it then it has to be the .12. but if your looking to bash and play around then i would do the .18.

your higher numbers like your .21 those have more power that is why there in your 1/8 buggy and truggy classes

hope this helps
Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea it did thanks alot. so pretty much your saying a .18 has sufficient power and torque for a small stadium, while something more along the lines of a tmaxx or savage would need a .21. so there more torque then speed. correct me if im wrong.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gt fast
yea it did thanks alot. so pretty much your saying a .18 has sufficient power and torque for a small stadium, while something more along the lines of a tmaxx or savage would need a .21. so there more torque then speed. correct me if im wrong.
Not entirely correct. A .21 is more powerful than a .12 or .18. You use .21 engines in 1/8 scale because the vehicles are heavier and larger. you need the extra power to get them up to speed. Race specs for 1/10 scale specify a .12 sized engine. You can run an .18 if you want, but not for racing in sanctioned races.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok thanks. that cleared it up alittle more. im not going to be racing in any classes or is there a track near me. its all backyard, neighborhood bashing. as of now the .15 is ok and i can burn a set of tires off no problem. im looking for torque and speed, to be honest id much rather have a faster car in top end then bottom end i can always gear down to get bottom end. so what motor size should i go with to get more top end. or should i just stick with mine i have now and gear it up. im trying to get aleast 50-60mph. not sure how fast i am now but im pretty much all stock motor, gearing wise. so any mods you know of would be helpful too. thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hello

I recommend getting a Novarossi .12 and gear it up a tooth on the clutch.

Like earlier post said. A really nice .12 would be really nice, and you can get more power from a bigger number, but the racing engines are in a .12 size and scream... Look on A main. they still make a Nova .12.... you could make the clutch bell larger or put a smaller spur gear on it....both changer will give you rpms/.......
Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

size doesnt matter as far as .12, .18, .21, .28 go really. The higher the number the more power basically. Now for example ur .12 to .19 are in 1/10 scale ranging on any type or size they are also small blocks. .21 to .30 are 1/8 scale and are big blocks. A .28 and up tend to have bigger blocks but same sizing to fit a 1/8. Also as size goes up your ports timing and carb changes a little. Basically size dont matter neither does speed, only issue is can you clear the jumps safely and are you getting good run time. For racing alot of guys in 1/8 run .21 in buggy and truggy because the power and run time are great but with .28 you have more power but way less run time, but who needs anourmous amount of power when your on a track the only place you will win is in the straight aways rest is over shoot or handling is a issue. Just put it this way get the engine that everyone else uses at the track. If your ganna race and most people there use a .15 in there rc10gt then get one because it must mean its the perfect engine for the track. Hope this is clear enough.